Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm getting more and more hooked and thinking of one but question, why is no onebuying the cooper D? It seems mad powerful, very economical, you get ASC+T as standard? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

TheDriver wrote: »
    It seems mad powerful,
    110bhp?? :confused:

With CO2 emissions of just 104g/km, I'd say it's about to become a lot more popular

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'm getting more and more hooked and thinking of one but question, why is no onebuying the cooper D? It seems mad powerful, very economical, you get ASC+T as standard? Am I missing something?

because its a diesel and sounds ****E!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I read reviews that you would be hard pushed to notice its a diesel and the reviewers are surprised more people aren't buying them? And the torque seems very high compared with power hence my comment on powerful. Also noticed that even though its 1200 dearer, once you add extras the price evens out due to less vrt on extras compared to petrol equivalent. Just thought it was somethng that people possibly overlook. I do higher than average mileage (about 30000 km a year) hence wanted something that would do great mpg and wouldn't suffer with higher miles i.e. diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I read reviews that you would be hard pushed to notice its a diesel and the reviewers are surprised more people aren't buying them? And the torque seems very high compared with power hence my comment on powerful. Also noticed that even though its 1200 dearer, once you add extras the price evens out due to less vrt on extras compared to petrol equivalent. Just thought it was somethng that people possibly overlook. I do higher than average mileage (about 30000 km a year) hence wanted something that would do great mpg and wouldn't suffer with higher miles i.e. diesel

there was one behind me today and i knew it was a diesel from the noise, of course they are going to say its as good as a petrol, the thing sounds like a fecking transit:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Must say, the second hand values seem scandalous altogether! Wonder how people will feel in July when price comes down 3k and their second value will be wayyyyyyyyy overpriced

This may be true in the case of the Diesel mini, but the VRT on the petrol mini cooper is not changing in July.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee, the importing from the UK lark is over, the country is full of cars now that cant be sold. People think they are getting a great deal by goin over there to buy but realise this, when you go to sell your car and the market is shot to **** due to oversupply your not saving, your losing out big time when it comes to resale value! Shooting yourself in the foot is the term i believe. A little bit of foresight and forward thinking is required here, something irish people in general are distinctly lacking in!

Cars in england are not as good of value anymore either, i imported last year before every single person in the country with two legs under them was jumping on the bandwagon.

Fact: The same spec car i bought over there last year, is currently selling for the same price i paid in April 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bendihorse wrote:
    People think they are getting a great deal by goin over there to buy but realise this, when you go to sell your car and the market is shot to **** due to oversupply your not saving, your losing out big time when it comes to resale value! Shooting yourself in the foot is the term i believe. A little bit of foresight and forward thinking is required here, something irish people in general are distinctly lacking in!

I don't follow you. Do you agree that you are likely to save cash by going to the UK, and that car will most likely be better equipped? If so, then when it does come to selling, you can afford to undercut more expensive and probably less equipped Irish models.

You may well undercut the irish models Eoin, but with the way things are going, there will also be a huge selection of ex uk cars of the same spec you speak of competing for a small corner of the market, therefore, prices will go to the floor on those too.

Ireland is a very small country with a very small market, it doesn't take long for it to get flooded and therefore distroyed for ALL of the users.

I think the government need to step in to stop or stem this practice. The change in VRT in june are only going to serve to make the situation worse. The only REAL way to fix this is issue is to abolish VRT altogether to stop the 'faraway fields' sentiment, or else find a country willing to accept exports of irish cars so as to prevent the market from getting flooded due to oversupply (not likely as too costly and notoriously bad roads).

In an oversupplied market, no car english or irish, will be worth dam all.

Sorry, this debate may be for another thread...

OT: I have a mini, theres loads of space in it, haven't had any issues with it apart from run of the mill wear and tear like break pads and bearings. Theres plenty of space in them too unless your going transporting the family! It should really only be treated as a two seater, with the capability of carrying extras should the need arise. Rear space is tight, but workable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The entire MINI range is decreasing in price in July, bar the Cooper and Cooper S cabrios(which are of course the old version anyway).

The One and the Cooper hatch are going to be in 16% VRT, so don't go counting chickens before they've hatched, cause the petrol engines will continue to be very popular as a rsult of them being only €50 dearer on road tax and 2% derar on VRT, which is only a few hunderd euro more, meaning that the petrol models will continue to be considerably cheaper than the Cooper D;)!

Bendihorse wrote: »
    You may well undercut the irish models Eoin, but with the way things are going, there will also be a huge selection of ex uk cars of the same spec you speak of competing for a small corner of the market, therefore, prices will go to the floor on those too.

But your alternative is to pay more for an Irish car, and be undercut by others with a cheaper and better car than yours?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    The entire MINI range is decreasing in price in July, bar the Cooper and Cooper S cabrios(which are of course the old version anyway).

The One and the Cooper hatch are going to be in 16% VRT, so don't go counting chickens before they've hatched, cause the petrol engines will continue to be very popular as a rsult of them being only €50 dearer on road tax and 2% derar on VRT, which is only a few hunderd euro more, meaning that the petrol models will continue to be considerably cheaper than the Cooper D;)!

By the whole range you mean new cars bought in 08 though, right?

The older type cooper s (pre new type model in 2007) will be increasing, the cooper and one (pre new type model in 2007) will not be changing tax band as far as i know. (im saying this as he has mentioned importing a 04 from the UK, so the new figures and rates wont apply to his import) In essence, he will pay the same VRT rate for a 04 cooper now, as he will after July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

The latest Mini Diesel is a revelation compared to the old (up to 07) test drive one of the new ones. The old Diesel was an afterthought whereas the current was part of redesign from outset.

eoin_s wrote: »
    But your alternative is to pay more for an Irish car, and be undercut by others with a cheaper and better car than yours?

My point is that there wont be a market soon.

Anyway, anyone selling an irish car currently has, or will have to drop to the same or lower rates than are available in UK. I dont think anyone thats selling at the moment is going to shift a car thats priced at a higher level as an equivalent version available for import from the UK.

My point is that there wont be a market soon.

Anyway, anyone selling an irish car currently has, or will have to drop to the same or lower rates than are available in UK. I dont think anyone thats selling at the moment is going to shift a car thats priced at a higher level as an equivalent version available for import from the UK.

I've been doing a lot of research into importing a 2000 or later 5 series sport.

I have seen very few decent examples for under 11.5K. I could fly over tomorrow and easily get a nice one on Irish plates for 10K.

I don't get what circumstances would make getting the Irish version a better deal?

I don't get what circumstances would make getting the Irish version a better deal?

Its not going to be a better deal in the short term, i did say it would take some forward thinking to grasp the concept.

If 50 more joes follow you over to england tomorrow and buy the same car as you are getting, then the resale value of your car will be shot to **** by the time you get it home as there will be loads of them available for sale in this country. Its simple supply and demand economics.
    As per usual its the government who are winning here. They collect their vrt eitherway and its the irish punter that paid over the odds in the first place due to high vrt that gets shafted.

If you presented yourself with cash in hand to an irish person selling the same car as you can have home from UK for 10grand, then i think they would be hard pressed or foolish not to accept your offer of the same, given the facts presented.

Im selling my car at the moment, but im asking the current market value of the car in the UK + VRT at the moment, rather than basing my asking price on what other people are looking for similar versions of the same here. They are talking crazy money.
    I agree they have their heads in the clouds, but the simple fact is they will have to face reality and take less for their car when they fail to sell it.

The market is flooded as it is, its neigh on impossible to sell a car at the moment and mine IS an import selling at lower than current market asking price, which means im going to have to drop even more to get it shifted (luckily im not in a panic to move it)

It only becomes a 'better deal' when your selling your car. Look at it this way, you buy the uk one and bring it home, now your competing with the 'Irish' one you decided not to buy (at the same price) when you go to sell it.
    Multyply that by the amount of 5 series sports that are being imported by others at the moment, and also by the amount already in the country = Resale value fall out of bed. Supply and demand.

Your creating a stick to beat your own back with.

If you presented yourself with cash in hand to an irish person selling the same car as you can have home from UK for 10grand, then i think they would be hard pressed or foolish not to accept your offer of the same, given the facts presented.

OK, so best case scenario and I might get that Irish car for the same price as one from the UK. How does that make any difference to me?

OK, so best case scenario and I might get that Irish car for the same price as one from the UK. How does that make any difference to me?

I dont mean to get personal as im not saying you are alone in this but yours is exactly the sort of small, single minded attitude that has this country facing possible recession. The old 'as long as im ok in the short term, **** everyone else'.

It will effect you in 3 years time when you go to sell it, due to a large no of people having the same collective attitude to living as you. Mark my words and please spare me a thought when your trying to give it away in 3 years time.

Perhaps its not fair to pull on an individual like yourself, that is buying a car for yourself that you intend to drive for the forseeable future, the people to blame are the ones that import numerous cars with the intention of selling them on and making a quick buck on them. Of course, the real culprits are the government who allow a system like this to exist AND be abused by some.

I dont mean to get personal as im not saying you are alone in this but yours is exactly the sort of small, single minded attitude that has this country facing possible recession. The old 'as long as im ok in the short term, **** everyone else'.

It will effect you in 3 years time when you go to sell it, due to a large no of people having the same collective attitude to living as you. Mark my words and please spare me a thought when your trying to give it away in 3 years time.

I would have exactly the same problem with the Irish car.

Consumers in Ireland are being ripped off left, right and centre - mainly because not enough people shop around.

As it happens, I am buying an Irish car because I am trading in. If I was buying from the UK, rest assured that I would not feel one jot of guilt. Nor do I feel guilty for sourcing cheaper goods on ebay, amazon, play.com etc. That may be a "small, single minded attitude" to you, but to me it's common sense.
    Perhaps its not fair to pull on an individual like yourself, that is buying a car for yourself that you intend to drive for the forseeable future, the people to blame are the ones that import numerous cars with the intention of selling them on and making a quick buck on them. Of course, the real culprits are the government who allow a system like this to exist AND be abused by some.

The government are somewhat to blame because of the VAT on cars that makes manufacturers remove features from cars to be somewhat competitive. Even if they didn't, UK cars would probably still be cheaper by nature of the sheer volume available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 killesterman

I bought a car in the uk because their is a better chance the car is genuine it has a main dealer history it was driven on better roads and the culture is to have more respect for your car unlike here.
    Have done the hpi check which also checks insurance,police,user and mileage history
    the choice of car in a bigger market allowed me to choose a model with colour and spec not available in Ireland
    we can argue on price but this was not a major factor I am a car enthusiast so I know my cars
    As for price there are some good deals sorry for those stuck in finance deals that tie them to the irish ripoff motor industry
    we need to get real with asking prices people are not going to inquire because of the unrealistic advertised prices on car adds garages included

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

holy thread resurrection, batman

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement