Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three weeks: This is pretty hard!

Options
  • 04-04-2008 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I always loved my meat and hated veg. A few weeks ago I would of taken a bite out of a cows arse NAY BOTHER! But after watching Faces Of Death (people bashing a monkeys head in then eating its brains and skinning a sheep alive and its eyeballs still staring at you) and reading up on cancer being related to meat I decided I’d ditch the meat but seriously this ****e is hard! Walking thru town after a few scoops or spliffs and just seeing maccy d’s and kebab shops everywhere but having to grab some stuff in the shop is some bad buzzzzz and all your mates and family giving you a hard time! All I’ve been eating is soup, fruit, salads, veggie lasagne, hemp muesli and porridge and its not filling me at all and I feel pretty weak and can hardly sleep, whats the craic with that? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a beginners guide to being a veggie? lol

EDIT: i also ditched sugar and water (drinking orange juice instead)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

stink_fist wrote: »
    I always loved my meat and hated veg. A few weeks ago I would of taken a bite out of a cows arse NAY BOTHER! But after watching Faces Of Death (people bashing a monkeys head in then eating its brains and skinning a sheep alive and its eyeballs still staring at you) and reading up on cancer being related to meat I decided I’d ditch the meat but seriously this ****e is hard! Walking thru town after a few scoops or spliffs and just seeing maccy d’s and kebab shops everywhere but having to grab some stuff in the shop is some bad buzzzzz and all your mates and family giving you a hard time! All I’ve been eating is soup, fruit, salads, veggie lasagne, hemp muesli and porridge and its not filling me at all and I feel pretty weak and can hardly sleep, whats the craic with that? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a beginners guide to being a veggie? lol

EDIT: i also ditched sugar and water (drinking orange juice instead)

Get thee to the supermarket and stock up on fake meat.
    Quorn pieces for curries/stir fries, mince for chile con carne, bolognese.
    Burgers, sausages, etc.
    It's true that the old post pub options aren't great, but most places would do a veggie burger/chips. I'm sure the kebab shops would do a falafel or veggie kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭randombar

Ah ya giving up meat, sugar and water cause it's bad for ya but smoking and drinking your ass off!

quality!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Get yourself some vegetarian cookbooks. Or look up receipes on the web, Indian and Asian cooking are very vegetarian friendly (theres a sticky at the top of the forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

Cheers I’ll have a look at that thread now in a sec and give some of this fake meat stuff a bash. And I very rarely drink and its weed I smoke which not only expands your lungs, but is now being looked at as an alternative to chemo and it helps with my sleep and concentration (aswell as alot of other things) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

stink_fist wrote: »
    Cheers I’ll have a look at that thread now in a sec and give some of this fake meat stuff a bash. And I very rarely drink and its weed I smoke which not only expands your lungs, but is now being looked at as an alternative to chemo and it helps with my sleep and concentration (aswell as alot of other things) :)

And now we begin a whole other debate ..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, congratulations on your decision. I found that in the first few weeks I got into the good habits at home. It was only when I went out that I had to think about it. You can still manage take aways ok:

3-in-1
    Chips
    Veg burger
    Garlic mushrooms
    Onion Rings
    Veg spring rolls
    Chip butties
    Veg kebabs

I'm sure there are more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

And now we begin a whole other debate ..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, congratulations on your decision. I found that in the first few weeks I got into the good habits at home. It was only when I went out that I had to think about it. You can still manage take aways ok:

3-in-1
    Chips
    Veg burger
    Garlic mushrooms
    Onion Rings
    Veg spring rolls
    Chip butties
    Veg kebabs

I'm sure there are more.

There's no point in giving up meat to be healthier and then eating that pile o crap! Lay off the junk food and eat loads of broccoli. Broccoli with cheese!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

It seems that the takeaways are what's posing a problem for you, but the thing about eating a lot of those things from the chipper is that they are often fried in the same oil as meat. I wouldn't rely on them, that's all I'm saying!

Burger King do veggie options, including the veggie burger, which is approved by the Vegetarian Society. They also do a spicy bean burger, but that doesn't have their "green V" approval, I don't know why.

To be honest, the smell out of those places (especially the little chipper vans/hot dog stands that pop up on the streets on the weekends) makes me retch. It's pure muck!

Also, you are doing a MAJOR detox what with giving up meat and sugar - the sugar could be causing the insomnia and headaches. Although I for one wouldn't recommend giving up water and replacing it with orange juice... perhaps a chat/consultation with a nutritionist is really what you need?

Good luck in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I am worried about you choice of giving up water... Maybe I'm missing something here.

Changing your diet is always easiest if you are able to cook for yourself. Depending on others to cook veggie for you is difficult for them and you. If you can cook for yourself and you eat balanced meals usually, there is no reason that your diet should leave you feeling tired.

Also, as a great filler upper, and easy to make, I'd definately recommend you try making minestroni soup (it's more of a veg stew thing than soup). And everyone else too - this is a fabulous recipe.

Minestrone soup

Put some oil (say 2 tbsp or so) in a large pot and add;

3 small onions (chopped)
    3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
    1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans) (strained, of course)
    2 courgettes (diced)
    2 tins of tomatoes
    half a jar of pasta sauce (works well with or without; it makes the minestroni sweeter and makes it taste a hint like the sauce!)
    2 vegetarian stock cubes (or some veggie stock made from powder)

Add some dried basil,
    salt and pepper,
    olive oil,
    4 cups water,
    1 cup of macaroni.

(or leave out the water and macaroni if you want)

Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is ready.

also - vegweb.com is one website full of recipes, in case you feel like experimenting :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There is a recipe thread on this forum that I made, you should check it out for ideas.
    I would drink a lot of water, don't give it up!

It was hard enough until I found fake meat,don't be put off if there are some bad ones, there are a lot of great ones!

• Advertisement

Also the Blazing Salads cook book is excellent, lots of really filling whole food recipes in it, including recipes for lots of sugar free cakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

the reason that the Burger King bean burger doesn't have the green V beside it is because it can been cooked in the same fat as the fish or chicken. When i first read that I thought i was going to cry. I don't particularly like fast food myself but the bean burgers (minus cheese, ewwww) are the best things around.

I ate in BK for the first time in maybe five years+ a couple of weeks ago.
    How anyone can actually think they enjoy eating that muck is beyond me.

OP How interested are you in learning to cook for yourself? Will advice on that basis.
    Fruit is full of natural sugars, in juice the sugar has more of an effect on your insulin because fibre which slows down your absorption is missing. The experts will only count juice as one of your 5 a day....not matter how much you drink.
    Drinking liters of it every day will also cause problems with your teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

no i agree that the BK is pretty awful, but the beanburger is the only kind of edible thing in a very bad lot. but not veggie....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Clink wrote: »
    There's no point in giving up meat to be healthier and then eating that pile o crap! Lay off the junk food and eat loads of broccoli. Broccoli with cheese!!!

I was actually just trying to give the OP an option or two for after-booze munchies. This was the area where he said he was really struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Broccoli after a feed of Guinness....

In fairness the OP said he's trying to get healthy so having a feed of drink topped up with a ton of greasy food (most likely cooked in animal fat btw) is hardly the way to do it.

In fairness the OP said he's trying to get healthy so having a feed of drink topped up with a ton of greasy food (most likely cooked in animal fat btw) is hardly the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Clink wrote: »
    Also the Blazing Salads cook book is excellent, lots of really filling whole food recipes in it, including recipes for lots of sugar free cakes!

+1 for the Blazing Salads cookbook. Just picked it up a few weeks ago and was really impressed. The sugar-free stuff was great for my wife's dad who is currently in chemo (so it's not just for vegetarians :))

You have me curious! I really need to work on my salad abilities :)

• Advertisement

casper- wrote: »
    +1 for the Blazing Salads cookbook. Just picked it up a few weeks ago and was really impressed. The sugar-free stuff was great for my wife's dad who is currently in chemo (so it's not just for vegetarians :))

I know, I'm not a vegetarian at all but I love all of the recipes in it. I don't use sugar, salt or anything overly refined (like white rice ect) in my cooking and it's amazing how good you feel when you cut them out. Live out of this book and you'd be a picture of health!

Advertisement