Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up flat screen?

Options
  • 04-04-2008 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok, I know this was discussed before but I have gone back through the last 14 pages and cannot find the thread. We live in a 3 bed semi and want to put a large flat screen up in the alcove in the corner of our living room. I do remember somethin being said about this and types of wall etc. We want to put it up on a bracket of some sort as don't want it on a stand. Can anyone give me some advice or info as to whether this is possible, safe etc. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how large is it?

I haven't done it myself - was looking into it recently but in the end decided to put it on a stand. You would probably need to screw into the batons behind the plasterboard with large wood screws. I wouldn't trust plasterboard fixings alone with such a heavy object.

wandering around the estate (not snooping, honestly) I've seen a few houses with very large screens mounted above fireplaces etc, so it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

It's certainly safer/sturdier putting them above a fireplace bucause the brackets are going into brickwork as opposed to plasterboard if you put it on a partitioning wall. Only problems with above fireplaces for me though is:

i) I'd be worried about the heat from the fire!
    ii) It's not a great viewing angle, it's a bit too high for my liking.

DID Electrical have a TV hanging service, it's pricey though iirc.

I think flat screens look better on a decent 'stand rather than on the wall to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

I too have a 3 bed in Charlesland Court and wanted to hang a 40"screen and had the same problems.
    I agree with SteM about that hanging position over the fire, It is far too high

In the end I did it the hard way,we had a perfect wall in the sitting room with a radiator sitting in the middle of it,....I moved this rad to the alcove and hung the screen on that wall.

Picture attached to give you an idea !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I put mine up on plaster board but screwed a sheet of mdf (smaller than tele) to the wall so as the pressure is dispursted over a greater area...
    Worked a treat... I also got a couple of tester pots of the same colour and then painted the mdf..

If your really stuck, pm me and I can do it for you...:)

Advertisement