Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3000 to spend..... Alienware? or Local....

Options
  • 04-04-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im looking on the market for a top End PC, around 3000 euros to spend..

I've looked on the UK Alienware website, and impressed buy the "Hook and Buy" advertisment and custom options... as well as the brand name..

For the Price you don't get much more than a 24 inch Monitor / 1T HD / 2x 8800GT and the other bits....wrapped up in a nice package that takes 3 weeks to arrive...

Problem is its UK so if anything fecks up it takes weeks....I know Im paying through the nose from my lack of PC build experiance...Also would rather help the Irish Stores....

Is there any Really GOOD custom building Computer Stores that are quailty, reliable and based in Dublin area...

I would like to go in Person and pick everthing from the shop store... or see a prebuilt job done. considering the price...must have warrenty and above board.

Anyone now of any such Place?.....

Its For Heavy Load CAD work, 3dMax and Top Games... Visulisation... you know the story...

Wolf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Alienware's European HQ and manufacturing plant is in Athlone Co.Westmeath.Prices are extremely expensive,however, and i'd recommend either a self build or check out Komplett or Hardwareversand for their systems.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

A self build.....is abit of out my Comfort zone...

This is a computer I need to bring to someone if it goes "Pop". I will be using it at work (Who are the sponsors) of this purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't think anywhere in dublin sells custom built PC's. Usually if someone is looking for such a thing they will have the knowhow to build it themselves. PC's are basically just big lego kits with only 6 or 7 pieces to stick together.

Your only options really are to buy abroad

Just Having alook at Komplett....

If anyone had 3000 so spend what would you order?....

I could just have a pick out of the bits but i don't know what works well together...

Also can they build it for you?...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you could always get a DELL? If you are getting it through a company you can probably save on VAT then.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

*I feel dirty* :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

IIRC, there was a thread not too long ago titled " if you had 3 grand to spend on a pc"...hmm, i go look

EDIT: I FOUNDEDED IT -> http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263765

id still recommend the setup ive slapped together. lots of money left over to buy peripherals like keyboard, mouse, monitor, a new Hdd for me...ya know...the basics like

If ur doin a load of heavy cad work, u must be fairly technically minded, a build really shouldnt be outta ur comfort zone, there really isnt much to it! and im sure ya could get one of the Dub lads here ta give ya hand with the build. (we all have a need to build pc's...its a problem)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    you could always get a DELL? If you are getting it through a company you can probably save on VAT then.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

shame on you!!!
    W0LFMAN wrote: »

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if i had 3 grand now, id buy this.

13897803vg7.jpg

also leaves 700 for extra's.

blueray if you want, games, possibly a bigger monitor etc.
    for another 400 you could stick a wicked watercooling system in there and have that baby lookin sweet!
    for a few quid im sure plenty of people on here would be willing to build it for you if its outside your comfort zone.

if your worried about something going wrong, then were always here if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you sound pretty positive you dont want to build which is fair enough even tho it is apprently very easy

assuming you cant be persuaded i would recomend alienware i had one of there laptops for 3 years without a bother. there support is unreal if something does go wrong(24hour phone line will take u step by step threw fixing and then send you an email with the process so you can do it yourself next time)

they are very expensive but if your company is paying they wont have to pay vat(probably) so who cares you get an even better pc for a bit less.

their ordering system is good and their tracking system is excellent.

they are based in westmeath even though to get threw i had to ring the english support number(just remembered now that was the only thing that annoyed me about alienware)

i dont know if much has changed since dell bought them over but i doubt it has if you choose alienware you wont be dissapointed BUT you should build

• Advertisement

@ royal, ud invest so much in an x48 board, a new quad, and ddr3, but ud get a club 8800gt?....can you say "bottleneck"? a 3000 quid pc, and ud have ONE 8800gt, with no possibility of sli due to the whole x48 thing...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

@ royal, ud invest so much in an x48 board, a new quad, and ddr3, but ud get a club 8800gt?....can you say "bottleneck"? a 3000 quid pc, and ud have ONE 8800gt, with no possibility of sli due to the whole x48 thing...:confused:

stupid moment for me. change the x48 for a 790i then.
    i did have 2 8800gt in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

OP my pc is for sale if yoru interested :) You will have a nice bit of change left over from 3000€ too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For high end gaming, Dell - whilst offering you a comprehensive after sales service should something go around and a good sense of security if you're not committed to learning how to build - will not give you the same sort of machine you'd get elsewhere. Hardwareversand assemble for 20 euro, and for 3k, you'd get a beast of a machine that'd literally trash the equivalent Dell (generally speaking, unless you got an exceptionally amazing Dell offer, the outlet is always a good place to look).

It's up to you, I'd recommend self building - it's very easy and not remotely complicated as you might imagine and problems, in most cases, are easy to diagnose and solve, should they arise.

Those Dell's you've linked to, the 720's, are ludicrously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The only dell worth looking at is the xps 630 range, as they use an atx case, so can be upgraded and are overclockable....

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2271796,00.asp

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    No Warranty Upgrade
    Monitor Not included
    3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024+2x512]
    Hard Drive 1TB NCQ SATA (2x500GB) 7200Rpm Dual HDD Config No Raid
    DUAL 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GT graphics card
    16X DVD+/-RW (Read/Write DVD, CD)
    Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
    Accessories

E Value

305-D04X6053

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4X63002&l=en&oc=D04X6053&rbc=D04X6053&s=bsd

€1,496.29

Dell xps customer service is pretty good if you run into trouble with the pc, if they cant solve the problem on the phone, they will be at your house next working day...

Getting a pc from a german company is grand, but if you have a problem and you dont have much knowledge of pc components it could be a pain, getting from Dell kinda wipes that out...

The pc above is very fast and will play every game at max, cpu can be overclocked, with a few simple steps in the bios...

You could have this 24" monitor and pc above for under €2000 delivered

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-054-SA&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=510

The German site will build you this for €2400 delivered...

Overclock cpu and its incredible....

zjk45jh0rb09zdsl6up_thumb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Quad Sli is a bit overboard, its only for epenis numbers really, there is nothing other than Crysis that cant be maximised with a single GX2.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Quad Sli is a bit overboard, its only for epenis numbers really, there is nothing other than Crysis that cant be maximised with a single GX2.

He has 3 grand, thats way overboard in itself...

What are you going to spend the money on?

780i/790i mobos are a waste of money, as are Q9550 etc...

A gaming machine with Q6600 @ 3.20ghz or E8400 @ 4.0ghz ( €170/€190), 2 x 9800gx2 ( € 830 ), decent 650 sli board ( €70 ), €1070 total, is incredible gaming pc peformance for just under crazy money...

Getting a Q9450 @ 3.55ghz ( €270 ), 780i SLI board ( €200 ), 9800gx2 ( €415) for €885 is throwing money away imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

790i is getting some good reviews. Best NVIDIA board to date it seems.

Go with a high clocked quad core. If your not big into system building then you may not want to dabble too much with overclocking.

If I had 3k I'd probably go all out on a 9800GX2 system. I'd stick to the single card for now though, you don't need to spend all your budget to get a savage system. Part of the fun is building a rig that will whoop an alienware/Dell system for half of what they cost and laughing at them afterwards.

Stick in a large 30" monitor for all your visual work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    790i is getting some good reviews. Best NVIDIA board to date it seems.

Go with a high clocked quad core. If your not big into system building then you may not want to dabble too much with overclocking.

If I had 3k I'd probably go all out on a 9800GX2 system. I'd stick to the single card for now though, you don't need to spend all your budget to get a savage system. Part of the fun is building a rig that will whoop an alienware/Dell system for half of what they cost and laughing at them afterwards.

Stick in a large 30" monitor for all your visual work too.

9800gx2 still gets owned by a 8800gtx sli solution :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

Revoltec LightBoard XL 2 Serie, schwarz
    The price includes VAT and excludes shipping costs and logistic costs
    ready for dispatch 17,43 € 1
    Club3D 9800GX2, 1024MB, NVIDIA Geforce 9800GX2, PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch 416,59 € 1
    MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Englisch
    ready for dispatch 144,00 € 1
    Laufwerk 1.44 MB,3.5" silber
    Delivery date unknown 4,94 € 1
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 tray, 12MB, LGA775, 64bit
    Delivery date unknown 272,82 € 1
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer - fatal1ty Pro. Series
    ready for dispatch 114,13 € 1
    Samsung SH-202N schwarz bare Lightscribe
    ready for dispatch 26,24 € 1
    Club3D 9800GX2, 1024MB, NVIDIA Geforce 9800GX2, PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch 416,59 € 1
    Logi MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse USB+ PS/2
    ready for dispatch 44,56 € 1
    ATX-Netzteil Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
    Delivery date unknown 95,28 € 1
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 1TB SATA II Retail
    ready for dispatch 160,19 € 1
    Rechner - Zusammenbau
    Delivery date unknown 19,99 € 1
    Revoltec Freeze Tower, Sockel 775/754/939/AM2
    ready for dispatch 23,17 € 1
    Acer X243Wd , 24" widescreen
    ready for dispatch (only 1 article) 331,50 € 1
    NZXT Alpha, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    Delivery date unknown 54,58 € 1
    4096MB-KIT OCZ PC3-10666 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth, CL6
    available for order, delivery date on request 346,39 € 1
    XFX nForce 790i Ultra SLI, DDR3, ATX
    ready for dispatch 299,00 € 1
    Sum: 2.787,40 € 1)

Now thats a whole lotta computer with some change for another 4gb kit of ram.
    (Sorry about the layout of the cart used copy and paste)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Disregard that list, some stupid choices there,

~ 790i only supports ddr3 which costs a fortune, 4Gb kit will cost a minimum of €350 for cheapest, compare this to less than €100 for 4Gb in ddr2
    ~ Why buy the 7200.10 series, its outdated, much faster hd's available like the Samsung f1's with 32mb of cache
    ~ 700W psu is not sufficient for quad sli, 1 9800gx2 requires 600w minimum
    ~ NZXT case has $hitty airlow, bad choic of cooler also

You can do much better than that for your €3000 budget (which is a little OTT anyways)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

3000 euro is woeful money! If you have that much money to burn on an Alienware, give me the 3000 and I will make you a better rig for 1500 and keep 1500 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Anti wrote: »
    9800gx2 still gets owned by a 8800gtx sli solution :)

correct me if i'm wrong but 9800x2 is two 8800gts 512's in sli that have had their core and ram speeds reduced to keep heat down and why exactly are people raving about them. why not buy two 8800gts's and reap the actual performance benefits of sli. nvidia can't even get a great performance boost from tri sli and anti's one to vouch for that, so what's exactly to say quad will be any better, are we all forgetting 7900gx2's in quad?

Thanks for all the Responce Guys,

Havin Looked Over the options, I'm thinking a Self-build might be more or of the way forward.

The Money Is commin From the Company I work for and thats the figure we agreed on, it might be expensive, but im going to spend it. who wouldn't.

Ill read that post on "If you Had 3 Grand What would you do" more specific.

It's not a gaming rig, Its used For Heavy Information AutoCAD work cut/Paste/render 20-30meg OS tiles, Large Scale Construction models...

I'm moving into 4D work using AutoCAD Civil, and need streamline operations. fast render/animation calculations smooth motion and stable programme operations...

I don't know its workload compaired to running Real-time High end Graffix Games, but the computer I'm running now is seriously hemmoraging RAM and constantly daily Freeze's...

I need something that would easy Breeze a load-up rate CAD File with an X-Ref of 10-20 Links each file around 2-10 Meg In size.

Regards

Wolf

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

W0LFMAN wrote: »

It's not a gaming rig, Its used For Heavy Information AutoCAD work cut/Paste/render 20-30meg OS tiles, Large Scale Construction models...

I'm moving into 4D work using AutoCAD Civil, and need streamline operations. fast render/animation calculations smooth motion and stable programme operations...

I don't know its workload compaired to running Real-time High end Graffix Games, but the computer I'm running now is seriously hemmoraging RAM and constantly daily Freeze's...

I need something that would easy Breeze a load-up rate CAD File with an X-Ref of 10-20 Links each file around 2-10 Meg In size.

You'll be looking to get a quadro as your graphics card and these range hugely in price so my advice would be to see what people in your company are using and place yourself in and around the same bracket. Scan sells quadros and heres the link. As you'll see some are 1700 sterling.

As for ram the more the better but max amount available to buy for a normal motherboard(4slots) is 16GB and I think 8GB is alot. A quad core will help you out alot in what your doing so thats what you'll be looking towards getting.

Final piece of advice maybe look towards getting a workstation motherboard possibly something with an nvidia chip.

Believe me you'll end up spending this three grand quicker than you think:D

L31mr0d wrote: »
    you could always get a DELL?

shame on you!!!

no

me the big hipocrit goes n gets a dell....:rolleyes: ah well, tis only a lappy

Advertisement