Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade Processor & GPU, Any recomendations

Options
  • 04-04-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Im looking to upgrade my PC, its a Dell XPS system used mainly for gaming, with an intel 775 chipset & only 1 pci express slot

looking to spend about about 600 euro (but might spend a bit more) on a new gpu & processor

any recommendations? would it be better to spend more on the gpu or the processor or even on both?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I remember reading an article recently that said something along the lines of upgrading GPU would give a better performance boost (in games) over upgrading the CPU....if had €600 to spend I'd get the E8400 (about €200, but are currently sold out everywhere) and spend the rest on the graphics card.

/Edit: I found the link to the article in another post http://www.digit-life.com/articles3/video/video-cpu-combinations.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First of all, what model XPS is it - with a 600 euro budget, I'd probably be more inclined to sell the XPS as is, and with the new budget opt for a new build.

Unless it's very recent - which I doubt it is, if you're willing to spend 600E on an upgrade - it won't have 45nm support.

In fact it may not even support Core 2 Processors at all, if it's an old machine from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

how can i tell if it supports them? i dont remember the model no. off hand but i bought it brand new in april 06 & at the time it was the top range xps

Ah in that case it's probably good for a other cycle with a decent core 2. I thought it might have been one of the older ones from 2004/2005.

Does it have a service tag?

yeah but im not at home at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Depending on the model, you might be best selling it off and adding to your budget. Even if you can only get 400 - 500, that leaves about 1000 to play a round with. Enough for a pretty decent new build.

On the other hand, E8400 - €200-ish, 8800GT 512mb - 200-ish.
    And if needs be, you'll have around 200 to upgrade your mobo.

the service tag is HBXCL1J

I'd sell it to be honest and start a fresh build unless you have sentimental attachment to the case :). It is quite old, but the fact it's an XPS makes it more sought after then a basic machine with equivalent specifications and it should get a decent price.

You'd be looking at a new power supply most likely, a new board, new processor, new video card....you could re-use the ram (which is OK for stock, but you'd want better for overclocking) and the other parts, but overall I think it'd be more economical to sell it whole as is, and build new.

Cool, thanks for the help.

Just out of interest, what kindo of money would it be worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flyinglion

What about XPS 420 with 8800 GTX? Excellent gaming machine for under 1 grand. Nice too:) Tv tuner,LCD etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement