Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian on a diet!

• 04-04-2008 11:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭

Help me please! I'm trying to lose weight and watch what I eat... problem is, i'm going for an indian this evening... to Jaipur in Dalkey. Now, I know Indian is not the best place for people on a diet but I was wondering if anyone knows what would be the best thing to order?? I'm a novice when it comes to Indian food!

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Some sort of prawn dish for starter and chicken tikka for main course would keep you fairly safe. Have a look at their menu in advance and choose your food and don't look again whilst you are there! Temptation is a terrible thing!

Modern Indian restaurants normally have some 'good' dishes on their menu's so hopefully you'll find something. Rule tends to be, avoid sauces and choose a veggie or fish dish if possible. It's the sauces that can kill though...and the Naan bread.... and the starters.... and the side dishes... I LOVE Indian food :D;)

This might help.... http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Jaipur_Restaurant_(Dalkey).aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Thanks! Oh it's so hard avoiding the naan!! Probably my biggest downfall, well that and the wine that accompanies the meal! Will definitely stick to fish and will try leave as much of the sauce on the plate as possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i think things like tandoori chicken are good as they are not smothered in oily, buttery, coconutty sauce, but rather oven-cooked after being marinated in yoghurt and spices.

still, it's torture being in an Indian and not wanting to eat loads of stuff there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you want something saucey stick to tomato based ones.

As someone said - the tandori chicken (cooked in the oven) dry - not in sauce is your best bet. Don't be afraid to ask for something without sauce or cream!

Chapatis are better than naan IF you have to have bread (try not to!)

Advertisement