Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Meeting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Double-Alpha

How can the IPSA be elected or voted onto the FCP if they cant even get into the SSAI ???

I beleive that they have made several applications to the SSAI with no success. Who's blocking them ??? Why ????

This wouldnt be happening now if they were on the panel.

From what I am hearing, a certain group sometime ago sent in a list with specifications of particular handguns to the DOJ and said that they were the only type of handguns that they thought should be used for target shooting in Ireland.

If this is true, then I think that these guys are responsible for this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Is there an FCP response anywhere to this letter yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How can the IPSA be elected or voted onto the FCP if they cant even get into the SSAI ???
    Because one's nothing to do with the other - the CAI aren't in the SSAI, and they sit on the panel, so do a host of other groups, both within and without the SSAI.
    From what I am hearing, a certain group sometime ago sent in a list with specifications of particular handguns to the DOJ and said that they were the only type of handguns that they thought should be used for target shooting in Ireland.
    If this is true, then I think that these guys are responsible for this situation.
    I've heard that rumour as well. However, I've also heard where it started from, and suffice it to say that the knowlege of the source very soundly discredited the rumour in my mind, long before I ever asked the guys cited in the rumour what the story was. And we've had this argument on boards before, and I don't want to go into it again. Click on the Search button at the top of the page and use it - there's at least three threads in here about it.

I thought the "SS" in "SSAI" stood for "Shooting Sports" ? Is IPSA not a governing body of a shooting sport ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I was just on the phone to the NTSA Chairman and he'd like to know who sent that list in as well.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I cannot speak for IPSA or the DOJ representative who drafted the letter.

I can only speak for myself - I am horrified - at

a) the fact that these issues were not addressed already by the FCP and that this is even an issue and

B) that people will jump up and say "my sport is ok - pass the lemon creams" in response to this rather than "jaysus - they can't do that coz...."

By all accounts the DOJ monitor this board and as such will have seen much discussion of the sport of Practical Pistol - they must read the Digest or else why are they posting in it hence they saw Last Months Article on IPSC.
    Yet, they can make a statement that "with a stroke of the pen" can make a sport illegal in Ireland.

The FCP have no excuse - you cannot seriously tell me that a position like this was reached without consulting them - if they did then it looks like they just passed the vaseline around - if not then what differnce would it make if IPSA was on it???

This is not a few lads behind a shed somewhere. These are serious sports in which a great many people from Ireland compete at an international level.,

The PPC guys have an international coming up in which they expect to do very well - a good few from my own club - they do not need this hanging over their heads.

Ireland was planning to hold it's first IPSC Level III (International Open) this year but due to various uncertainties (some were DOJ related but I garauntee you nobody saw this flying pig come over the horizon) it had to be postponed until next year.
    There was massive interest in the international community among people wishing to attend this competition. This was going to be peoples summer holidays - bring the kids - see Ireland - shoot at the first Irish International. When we go to internationals in other countries this season - there will be hundreds of Irish competitors at Internationls worldwide this year - I, personally, will be attending up to nine shoots abroad this year alone - what do we tell them??

I sincerely hope that this is all rubbish and I have just been venting for no reason.

B'Man

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

As far as I am aware, seats in the FCP are by invitation. The DoJ issued the invites. I don't think there's a question of elections or votes.
    I beleive that they have made several applications to the SSAI with no success. Who's blocking them ??? Why ????

The IPSA and the NTSA can't be in the SSAI at the same time or else the NTSA will get a kicking from the ISSF (and probably be disaffiliated). It's a sh*tty situation to be in but there's very little any Irish shooter can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

IRLConor wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, seats in the FCP are by invitation. The DoJ issued the invites. I don't think there's a question of elections or votes.

The IPSA and the NTSA can't be in the SSAI at the same time or else the NTSA will get a kicking from the ISSF (and probably be disaffiliated). It's a sh*tty situation to be in but there's very little any Irish shooter can do about it.

So we just cut lose the blokes who are not sitting at the table with us:confused::mad:

Bananaman wrote: »
    These are serious sports in which a great many people from Ireland compete at an international level

What kind of numbers are we talking about here. Not too many I'd say ? I reckon the domestic scene would be a better judge of the amount of people actively involved in pistol shooting in this country. I do very few domestic comps and no foreign ones but shoot on my rasnge very, very regularly, which I can prove with the attendance register as do a lot of my shooting friends.

DOJ only invited who they wanted. Nice. Hardly going to invite some crowd thet wanted to shaft.

Simple answer to why IPSA can't be in SSAI, politics ?

• Advertisement

chem wrote: »
    So we just cut lose the blokes who are not sitting at the table with us:confused::mad:

No. I'm not saying that. I was merely explaining why the IPSA is not in the SSAI.

I have no idea why the DoJ did not extend an invite to the IPSA to be on the FCP.

I don't know if the FCP were consulted before the DoJ decided to send that letter. Even if they were consulted, they're a consultative body. Their opinions are not binding and the DoJ can turn around and decide "We've talked to the FCP but we don't care what they said, send the letter".

I'm sure the FCP will at some stage tell us whether or not they were consulted before the letter was sent and, if they were, what their opinion was. I wouldn't judge them before you hear from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I cannot speak for IPSA or the DOJ representative who drafted the letter.

I can only speak for myself - I am horrified - at

a) the fact that these issues were not addressed already by the FCP and that this is even an issue and

Range construction was addressed by the FCP. It's in the briefing document.
    B) that people will jump up and say "my sport is ok - pass the lemon creams" in response to this rather than "jaysus - they can't do that coz...."
    That's a totally unhelpful attitude. A great many statements were made in the OP and a great many were wrong. Most of us were concerned with the veracity of the statement itself and then with the letter that prompted it. Most people when faced with a statement that: [insert your sport here] is finished, will strive first to see if it's true before looking at the bigger picture.
    The FCP have no excuse - you cannot seriously tell me that a position like this was reached without consulting them - if they did then it looks like they just passed the vaseline around - if not then what differnce would it make if IPSA was on it???
    From the start of range authorisations in this country back as far as 2006, it was fairly obvious that IPSC shooting here would have problems meeting range safety standards that everyone else was being made to meet. Do the IPSA feel that they are a special case and that these critreria shouldn't apply to them?

As an example: Midlands have spent an enormous amount of money on a pistol range with a backstop over twenty feet high. Even with that, the targets may not be moved back towards the firing point from their position at the butts. Other ranges have had to fit baffles and raise backstops to meet the standards.
    The PPC guys have an international coming up in which they expect to do very well - a good few from my own club - they do not need this hanging over their heads.
    What exactly is the situation regarding PPC? I refer to the letter in the ISD and what bearing it has on PPC shooting.

What kind of numbers are we talking about here. Not too many I'd say ? I reckon the domestic scene would be a better judge of the amount of people actively involved in pistol shooting in this country.

You are correct - in Practical Pistol - a percentage of those who compete here at home compete abroad.

IPSA will have the numbers but I think there are ~200 active competitors in Ireland and may more signed up for training recieve their competition licenses.

I only stated International Competition to highlight the fact that the sport has grown from just local competitions to international competition on a par ( with much higher numbers and frequency ) with our *******ns.

B'Man

For *******ns - read O l y m p i a n s as in ISSF cousins.

DOJ only invited who they wanted. Nice. Hardly going to invite some crowd thet wanted to shaft.

Either that or they had never heard of the IPSA when they sent the invites. I don't know their motivations.
    Simple answer to why IPSA can't be in SSAI, politics ?

Yes, but primarily at a global level (ISSF v IPSC) rather than a local one (NTSA v IPSA). I suspect that relations at local level are a lot more cordial.

1. As far as I am aware, seats in the FCP are by invitation. The DoJ issued the invites. I don't think there's a question of elections or votes.

2. The IPSA and the NTSA can't be in the SSAI at the same time or else the NTSA will get a kicking from the ISSF (and probably be disaffiliated). It's a sh*tty situation to be in but there's very little any Irish shooter can do about it.

1. DOJ seem to have the upper hand if they decide who can play and who cant.

2. I dont understand what you mean by the IPSA & the NTSA can not be on the panel together or they will get a kicking from the ISSF

The French Practical Shooting Association held the IPSC European Handgun Championships in September last, and guess what, it was supported strongly by the F.F. de Tir. Check out their website. http://www.fftir.fr/index.php?FicheNum=1775

Is the Irish shooter something special or what ???

Much as I would like to rally behind you B'man, the notice that the OP put at the head of this thread was not signed by any Organisation

I'm not talking about organisations - I'm talking about shooters and the sports in which they compete.

I have zero time for politics. There are too many bodies representing bodies representing bodies who don't represent shooters if you ask me.

Restrictions like those outlined in that letter do not prevent organisations from existing - they prevent people from competing in sports.

If these restrictions went ahead it would mean that we could not compete in Practical Pistol or WA1500 or ISSF running target in Ireland - it would not stop us from competing abroad.

What it would do is smother the sports - not the organisations - out of exitence here in Ireland because those that were already competing would be it. There could be no training so no new people could be introduced to the sports.

In the long run the organisations would also die due to lack of membership.

Sounds a bit apocalyptic - doesn't it.

It'll make Ireland the laughing stock of Europe.

B'Man

1. DOJ seem to have the upper hand if they decide who can play and who cant.

Of course they have the upper hand. They make the law!
    2. I dont understand what you mean by the IPSA & the NTSA can not be on the panel together or they will get a kicking from the ISSF

The French Practical Shooting Association held the IPSC European Handgun Championships in September last, and guess what, it was supported strongly by the F.F. de Tir. Check out their website. http://www.fftir.fr/index.php?FicheNum=1775

Is the Irish shooter something special or what ???

I have no idea what the ISSF response to that, if any, will be.

I was just going by what the official line from the ISSF was:
    The ISSF... would like to remind all members, officials, trainers, coaches and athletes of our international federation of the decision of our General Assembly 2000 in Sydney, Australia to not cooperate with the IPSC and that no member of the ISSF shall participate in any practical shooting activities.

Personally, I would prefer if the IPSA were a member of the SSAI but I don't get to choose.

Note also, that the IPSA and the NTSA could both be on the FCP. It's membership of the SSAI that could be trouble.

not cooperate with the IPSC and that no member of the ISSF shall participate in any practical shooting activities.

How does being a member of the SSAI consitute a breach of this?
    That's a dangerous position to be in - If there are more shooters in IPSA what is to stop SSAI inviting them and kicking out the NTSA so as not to piss off the ISSF?

Has this ever been fought in the intervening 8 years ?

I have not heard that the French are not allowed to compete in the shooting events in the the Beijing Olympics after their national shooting body supported IPSC when they held the European championships.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I dont care or give a dam about IYZX and ZZTT or whatever group is in bed with eachother but when i see

The ISSF... would like to remind all members, officials, trainers, coaches and athletes of our international federation of the decision of our General Assembly 2000 in Sydney, Australia to not cooperate with the IPSC and that no member of the ISSF shall participate in any practical shooting activities.

Thats NUTS::eek: are we in nazi germany here folks??

I will not be told by anyone what sport I will partake in and any member of any group or club that allows themselfs be TOLD what to do should take a long hard look at themselfs and consider growing a backbone. shamefull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

This seems to be an add on (with an open invitation to all shooters and shooting organisations next Wednesday)The IPSA website does not say this that I can see, it is directed to their own members.

(Note to all IPSA members:
    General meeting of the Association to be held at Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre, Bury Quay, Tullamore, Co. Offaly on Wednesday 9th April at 8pm.)

Looks like the sh*t stirrers may be at it again.

Please read again Bananaman, my reference to Sh*t stirrers is most certainly not directed at IPSA, but to the original posting having an add on that gives the impression that the meeting was open to all and sundry.

Look at the IPSA web sight as stated above the call to the meeting is to their members only.

Note also, that the IPSA and the NTSA could both be on the FCP. It's membership of the SSAI that could be trouble.

I agree with you that the IPSA & the NTSA could serve on the FCP.

How do we all, as shooters of both the IPSA & the NTSA, push for this to happen ????

We can jointly work on the other problem of the SSAI at a later date.

How does being a member of the SSAI consitute a breach of this?

I would read it as coming under the heading of "cooperating".
    That's a dangerous position to be in - If there are more shooters in IPSA what is to stop SSAI inviting them and kicking out the NTSA so as not to piss off the ISSF?

I don't think there's anything in particular that would stop them doing this. If the SSAI were being consistent about it, they'd probably have to kick out the ICPSA as well, since they're also an ISSF organisation.

I doubt they'd kick the NTSA out though. I suspect it would come down to the NTSA (and ICPSA) to decide whether they could or could not remain a part of the SSAI. (More political fun :rolleyes:)
    Has this ever been fought in the intervening 8 years ?

I don't know. I'm not (and have never been) a committee member of the NTSA (partially because it would involve dealing with political silliness like this).
    I have not heard that the French are not allowed to compete in the shooting events in the the Beijing Olympics after their national shooting body supported IPSC when they held the European championships.

I have no idea. As I said, I'm going on what the ISSF said not on what they're doing.

chem wrote: »
    I will not be told by anyone what sport I will partake in and any member of any group or club that allows themselfs be TOLD what to do should take a long hard look at themselfs and consider growing a backbone. shamefull

I don't agree with the ISSF position, but it doesn't really bother me too much since I don't have the time, money or inclination to do any other shooting sports on top of what I'm already doing. They can ban me from playing polo, joining Fianna Fail or doing handstands naked in Stephen's Green for all I care, I won't be doing any of those either.

How do we all, as shooters of both the IPSA & the NTSA, push for this to happen ????

The best course of action I would see would be for the IPSA to write a nice, polite letter to the DoJ asking if they could be represented on the FCP. Have they done that?

Have they done that?

I dunno - I believe they applied for a seat when it was set up.

Why they did not get it brings out the conspiracy theorist in all of us.

B'Man

IrlConor, I dont know either, will check it out with the IPSA officals.

Glad to hear that you wont be doin' hand-stands in the nude, the image is very disturbing.

I dunno - I believe they applied for a seat when it was set up.

Why they did not get it brings out the conspiracy theorist in all of us.

I suspect that the simplest explanation would be that the DoJ doesn't like the IPSA and wants to ban practical shooting. I wouldn't exactly view that as much of a conspiracy, I'm afraid. :-/

Glad to hear that you wont be doin' hand-stands in the nude, the image is very disturbing.

Good. Let's keep it that way! :D

(And at least if you see me arriving at the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis on a polo pony you'll know to avoid Stephen's Green ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

"PO is short for Principal Officer. I don't think any civil servant can make policy, that's a political function. Civil servants typically implement policy. I suspect that he would have looked for prior approval from his boss(es) before sending any letter in his official capacity."

Principal Officers generally "advise" Ministers as to how things should run. If the Minister has no particular interest in the subject he will follow his civil servant's "advice".

Unless the Minister is pressured to disregard this advice, or hope against hope, from the goodness of his heart, takes the side of shooters, the guy who wrote the letter is making the policy.

Advertisement