Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's dangerous for kids to even know that Atheism exists

• 04-04-2008 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Listen to this mp3 file.

In it, a representative from the US state of Illinois Monique Davis responds to Rob Sherman (an atheist). Transcript and article here. Shocking tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

its America what do you expect?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A dangerous philosophy indeed.

She doesn't seem to put much stock in the capability of people act in a humane manner once the threat of damnation is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.

Is she referring the the secular state of America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Ah sure theres no harm in critizing atheism, its the most hated minority in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

This is why the Out Campaign has to be taken seriously by atheists. We need to speak up and acknowledge that standing idly by while the religious run riot is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

eoin5 wrote: »
    Ah sure theres no harm in critizing atheism, its the most hated minority in America.

Christians must be the most hated majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Christians must be the most hated majority.

How could you think that? :confused:

Atheists are, more than Muslims and homosexuals. A quick google and you should find the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

he said majority.

Just so you know I woundn't trust some of those people either, but I prefer to judge everyone individually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely muslims are the most hated majority atm

• Advertisement

It would be no wonder if they were. The Dutch film Fitna only last week was greeted with a campaign of intimidation and threats, which forced it to be removed from LiveLeak. How dare anyone insinuate that Islam has the slightest connection with terrorism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

What I liked about her comments was that she said "This is the Land of Lincoln, where people believe in God" - the humour being in that Lincoln was quite likely an atheist, at any rate he was certainly not a Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's dangerous to delude young children with the idea of a God.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    It's dangerous to delude young children with the idea of a God.

Nope, can't agree with that at all. I would accept that it is dangerous to force children to learn off a book word for word, and to be told that everything in the book is fact.

Believing in a God is not dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I would accept that it is dangerous to force children to learn off a book word for word, and to be told that everything in the book is fact.

I guess you think the Leaving Cert is pretty dangerous then.

Yep, it almost killed me...literally.

those bunsen burners are lethal

Mordeth wrote: »
    surely muslims are the most hated majority atm
    I can't see how it's even possible to have a most hated majority, tbh.

Does not compute.

thats what thought but then i assume we're talking about more than religion e.g politics, race, sex etc.,

There can only be one majority. Ergo they are automatically the most hated majority, but also the most loved. :cool::D:pac::eek::o:p:)

• Advertisement

Its not dangerous at all. I think it would be beneficial for kids to be told about it by parents. Kids are stupid, when they get to 13/14/15/16 if they 'discover' Atheism in some indirect way, it could be dangerous, especailly if they're emo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

when they get to 13/14/15/16 if they 'discover' Atheism in some indirect way, it could be dangerous, especailly if they're emo.

You've done it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

'We believe in something, you believe in destroy'

Best quote ever.

Believing in something is a virtue now?

If I believe that David Blaine levitates does that make me better than an atheist scientist who knows that it's just a cheap parlour trick?

If I believe in satan, does that make me better than someone who believes that satan is just a myth invented to scare school children and simple minded adults?

Dan Dennett said it very well at the atheist alliance conference when he said that the majority of people out there don't believe in god, they believe in belief.

They believe that having any belief is better than having no belief, and they believe that having a belief in something unites people because they have something in common.

He used a very clever analogy to explain the ludicrousness of that statement.

"John and Mary Both love Rock."
    That statement appears like it suggests they have something in common, but actually, John loves Rock music, but Mary loves Rock Hudson (the actor).
    They have nothing to do with each other, but they both love rock.
    Dennett says that rock music and rock hudson are probably more closely related than some of the different conceptions of 'god' that people claim to 'share' a belief in.

Belief is not uniting if the object of that belief is undefined.

Zillah wrote: »
    You've done it again.

Did you miss the part where I said it would be beneficial to learn about it from parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

eoin5 wrote: »

in some published statistics a while ago Atheism was actually seen to be on the rise in the United States. Thank God.
    Nope, can't agree with that at all. I would accept that it is dangerous to force children to learn off a book word for word, and to be told that everything in the book is fact.

Believing in a God is not dangerous.

I was taught to make up my own damn mind, but my parents did take some time to show me what they believed.

Overheal wrote: »
    Atheism was actually seen to be on the rise in the United States. Thank God.

:confused:

Galvasean wrote: »
    :confused:
    Twas a little bit of humour, I assumed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Sangre wrote: »
    I guess you think the Leaving Cert is pretty dangerous then.

It's a system than values memory over reason. It's not dangerous, it's just ****.

It's always people with rubbish memories that criticise the LC. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

adamd164 wrote: »
    It's always people with rubbish memories that criticise the LC. :p

You got me. My memory is weak- whereas my intelligence has brought me to the final year of my PhD. I felt pretty short changed by the leaving cert as exams go. It came very very close to denying me my career in science because I have trouble conjugating the verbs of a dead language I never chose to study.

Advertisement