Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's dangerous for kids to even know that Atheism exists

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

You got me. My memory is weak- whereas my intelligence has brought me to the final year of my PhD. I felt pretty short changed by the leaving cert as exams go. It came very very close to denying me my career in science because I have trouble conjugating the verbs of a dead language I never chose to study.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

You got me. My memory is weak- whereas my intelligence has brought me to the final year of my PhD. I felt pretty short changed by the leaving cert as exams go. It came very very close to denying me my career in science because I have trouble conjugating the verbs of a dead language I never chose to study.

I never counted that "language" for points; so maybe it's not my place to judge! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

What would you term a "dead" language so? It's spoken by half a dozen farmers on the west coast, and inflicted upon every 4-18 year old child in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I wish the rolleyes emote could be banned. It is used to dismiss so much. I accept that "dead language" is a harsh condemnation, but Irish was forced upon me with the expectation that I should love it unconditionally. The study of it, the struggle, took away from subjects that were more worthwhile for me personally. Only now, nearly a decade later, do I see the value of our native tongue. The leaving cert is part of the problem- not the solution- when it comes to keeping Irish alive.

The rest of my previous post is perfectly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

adamd164 wrote: »
    What would you term a "dead" language so? It's spoken by half a dozen farmers on the west coast, and inflicted upon every 4-18 year old child in the country.

I like the auld Gaeilge and I think we should promote it, but the way its inflicted is pretty cruel.

Peig is dead, long live the Hector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The Irish language is very much alive and well in Ireland. Its importance is highlight by the fact if there is a dispute between the Irish and English texts of the Constitution the Irish version takes precedent. This fact is made all the more remakralbe by the fact that the Irish version is a translation of the English one and was done without debate in the Houses.

Pretty impressive for a 'dead' language.

adamd164 wrote: »
    I never counted that "language" for points; so maybe it's not my place to judge! :D

Points aren't relevant- I didn't count it either (unsurprisingly since I was rubbish at it). Failing Irish means failing your Leaving Cert. Or at least it did when I did it. It's also compulsory for entry into the NUI universities. One of which was my top three CAO choices.

Sangre wrote: »
    The Irish language is very much alive and well in Ireland. Its importance is highlight by the fact if there is a dispute between the Irish and English texts of the Constitution the Irish version takes precedent. This fact is made all the more remakralbe by the fact that the Irish version is a translation of the English one and was done without debate in the Houses.

Pretty impressive for a 'dead' language.

I don't think the thread should get derailed into a debate about whether Irish is a dead language. I accept that it is not. When I was 18 and was forced to study it to the detriment of my other subjects as well as the risk to my hopes as a scientist, I felt more resentful then.

Consider the term "dead" withdrawn and replaced with "irrelevant with respect to a career in scientific research".

eoin5 wrote: »
    I like the auld Gaeilge and I think we should promote it, but the way its inflicted is pretty cruel.

Peig is dead, long live the Hector.

My sentiments exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I wish the rolleyes emote could be banned. It is used to dismiss so much. I accept that "dead language" is a harsh condemnation, but Irish was forced upon me with the expectation that I should love it unconditionally. The study of it, the struggle, took away from subjects that were more worthwhile for me personally. Only now, nearly a decade later, do I see the value of our native tongue. The leaving cert is part of the problem- not the solution- when it comes to keeping Irish alive.

The rest of my previous post is perfectly valid.

I personally believe that the language should be compulsory, but not a requirement for college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't think the thread should get derailed into a debate about whether Irish is a dead language. I accept that it is not. When I was 18 and was forced to study it to the detriment of my other subjects as well as the risk to my hopes as a scientist, I felt more resentful then.

Consider the term "dead" withdrawn and replaced with "irrelevant with respect to a career in scientific research".
    I was actually being extremely facetious

I personally believe that the language should be compulsory, but not a requirement for college.

Compulsory in a broad sense perhaps- but taught in an entirely different manner. Compulsory to pass the LC- certainly not. Too many jobs demand a passed leaving cert whilst very few practically demand competant Irish.
    Sangre wrote: »
    I was actually being extremely facetious

Yeah I see that and I take your point. There's a certain contrived nature to the manner in which the language has been crowbarred into various levels of modern Irish society. Not surprising considering how much of modern Irish culture was invented or re-invented in the last century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Meh, the same guy probably has the same speech with find replace run over atheism and replaced with ghey's.

I wouldn't worry about lunatics like this, they eventually expose themselves as lunatics.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Meh, the same guy probably has the same speech with find replace run over atheism and replaced with ghey's.

I wouldn't worry about lunatics like this, they eventually expose themselves as lunatics.

You're right- though there are always those willing to listen to firey rhetoric. I guess we all just find it disturbing that such narrow minds are given such credence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Reverend Paul

I listened to this yesterday. The stench of urine is still in my nostrils.

Seriously though, it's interesting how she noted "This is the land of Lincoln". Lincoln veered towards deism. He never joined any Christian Church. This validates the claim that, for the faithful, it is better to believe in something rather than nothing.

Incidentally, Rep. Davis could hardly be described as a bible bashing neo-con. If this is liberal America...

Top marks to Rob Sherman for keeping a straight face!!!

Advertisement