Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many beers before you start throwing badly?

• 04-04-2008 11:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just curious to see how many beers it takes before it starts affecting your throw.

For me I am used to practicing at home when I am stone cold sober so it doesn't take many beers at all before I start throwing all over the place. Probably 4 pints and my game goes to ****. Some of the lads in the pub though can barely stand and still play as well as they always can. I'm sure it's just down to whether your used to playing after a few beers or not.

Well lads, how many beers does it take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

I agree that its down to when you usually play. I mostly play at home and on odd occasion play at the pub. From past results i would say that even by second pint im already losing to people i usually beat comfortably. For me its my doubling it affects worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭on the board

I'd have to have at least 5 or 6 pints before i play to calm the nerves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

If im just dosing with mates its usually 5/6 pints......prob more out of boredom than the drink affecting me throw.

If playin a league match i need a few in me before i throw........haven't been too drunk to play yet.......but in saying that i havent drank more that 6 pints on a league night yet.

Also just to add i know players on my team and our monday team that wouldn't throw a dart till they have bout 5/6 pints in them.......if sober they arnt half as good as when drunk........they dont practice when sober though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Who needs beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It depends on the night before more than anything else.

i have found that I am at my best just sipping away as I throw (maybe two pints before the night starts with a fresh pint for my first throw) and then have a proper sitting when the darts are over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Who needs beer

Well I'm better when I have had no beer at all but loads of people need the few to calm them down. Plus when you go the pub for a game you nearly always have a few pints as well.

Am I right in saying that none of these up and coming dutch lads like Van Gerwen have a few drinks before playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

You can't play as well as even a pint can affect your judgement,since darts is a game of concentration you would need your wits about you and beer would only numb the senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭on the board

different strokes for different folkes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I threw with one of the top ranked American women one time, and she was telling me the story of how she used to have to sneak bottles of vodka backstage for many of the top pros.

At the end of the day, it is what you have been doing your entire life.

Darts are a 'pub game'......there will always be alcohol involved in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

my da can play great without a pint but becuase he gets so nervous before a match that he'd always get a pint or two in before the match even though it make him play worse. i think a little bit of nerves can help you it keep you more concentrated on the game

• Advertisement
Advertisement