Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Production software for Mac?

Options
  • 04-04-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I took delivery of a Macbook Pro yesterday, so I'm beginning the process of waving goodbye to Window/Cubase/energyXT and installing Logic Pro over the weekend :)

I've enjoyed using a ton of great freeware VSTs and standalone utilities for Windows so I'm now looking to build up a collection of free/low cost equivalents for Mac. I'll get around to finding the best stuff on KVR eventually but for now I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for high quality audio software for Mac? Preferably good quality stuff, I'd be most interested in AU plugins for making electronic music, plus anything anyway experimental/unusual. Also hoping to get recommendations on "the basics" (reverbs, compressors, etc). Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

I think when you have finished the 40 gig + Logic 8 install you will be staggered by what you get out of the box. Amazing value all things considered. To augment it have a look at www.camelaudio.com. Camel space & camel phat are 2 great plug-ins that aren't too expensive. Camel space in particular is great - you really can put anything through it & come up with something new. Try the demo.

Also go to www.smassey.com for a nice free tape saturation plug-in.

Welcome to Macworld!

www.jjvernon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

JJV wrote: »
    I think when you have finished the 40 gig + Logic 8 install you will be staggered by what you get out of the box. Amazing value all things considered. To augment it have a look at www.camelaudio.com. Camel space & camel phat are 2 great plug-ins that aren't too expensive. Camel space in particular is great - you really can put anything through it & come up with something new. Try the demo.

Also go to www.smassey.com for a nice free tape saturation plug-in.

Welcome to Macworld!

www.jjvernon.com

Hey dude,

Man I have had logic for the last 2 months and I am still discovering all the plug-ins. Logic is a large beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

as far as the basics go, the logic compressors and eq's are probably a lot better than anything you'll get for the mac for free.
    For sidechaining to the max (a la Eric Prydz), the logic compressor is sort of th e industry standard.

There are less low-quality cheap plugins for OSX compared to windows by a country mile, so don't expect to be finding glitchy mental plugins half as much as you were with windoze.

Space Designer is absolutely mindblowing. To my ears it's as good as altiverb, and the fact that the whole logic package costs less than altiverb alone is incredible.

A personal favourite of mine is Logic's tape delay plugin. Really incredible dub style delay box that has a real kingston feel to it.
    The evp88 is shockingly good. As is the drawbar organ. And I quite like ES2 for messing around with.

Also the spreader plugin is great for getting a real wide stereo image, which is great for certain types of electronic music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm heartened to hear that Logic is as awesome as I had thought. I've had a chance to play around with it at work but getting to grips with it at home will be good fun.

Pity I won't have access to as many of the cheep-and-cheerful unusual plugins that are available for Windows but I guess there's tons of stuff to keep me going in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Audio Damage - Replicant is MAD.. but totally usable.

Great for making really unique sounding patterns. Glitchy as you like.. or just to create an interesting rhythm. There are lots of tweaks available.

http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/

I have not used their other stuff - but they always get good reviews & they're cheap - I think I paid about €30 for the Replicant with the $ being so weak.

A kinda basic version is Supatrigger. Free @ http://http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=6

Make sure you save on a regular basis - its a little unstable at times - but cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement