Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional licence insurance query

Options
  • 04-04-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have just started to drive and was looking to get insured on my mothers car. She is with Axa insurance and they agreed to add me onto her policy. They sent me out a form which i had to fill in. One of the statements I had to sign was, I will not drive without a full licensed driver under the age of 25!

If i signed this and went out alone would this mean i was uninsured? if so, is this the same requirement for all insurance companies and can you actually be insured if driving alone on a provisional licence. I would appreciate any help greatly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

kellyj7 wrote: »
    If i signed this and went out alone would this mean i was uninsured?

Yup.
    kellyj7 wrote: »
    if so, is this the same requirement for all insurance companies and can you actually be insured if driving alone on a provisional licence.

Not the same requirment for all insurance companies no.
    I'd assume you are insured though it's a grey area..I've never heard of insurance companies holding out anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kellyj7

so should i go with that company or are there other insurance companies whereby i would defo be insured if i went out alone? it seems to be such a vague area where nooone knows with a hundred percent certainty what the story is. I even asked a gaurd i know and he didnt even seem totally certain

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Your mother would need to switch insurance companies as you can't take out two policies on the same car afaik.

Not all insurance companies specify that you need to be accompanied. If they don't specify, then you're definitely covered for third party and claims and generally comprehensive claims, however the insurance company can chase after you to recoup costs if they so wish as you were driving outside the law. (In practice, I've never heard of this happening).

Sorry its not a 2nd policy, i'll be on as a 2nd driver

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

If you sign that form and you're ever in an accident while driving on your own you would not be covered as you've broken the terms of the insurance.

Not all companies require this however, I'm insured on my mothers car as a named driver (and I have insurance on my own car) and I have a Learner Permit and I asked the woman in the brokers would I be covered if I was in an accident when driving alone. Fair play to her she was honest and said that I would be covered to the full degree of my insurance and that it would be up to the Gardai to prosecute/issue points or a fine for me driving without a full licensed driver in the car with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kellyj7 wrote:
    Sorry its not a 2nd policy, i'll be on as a 2nd driver

Hence why it would be your mother who would need to switch if you decided to go with another company. She probably won't be willing to do this before her current policy expires as you lose your NCB for the year if you do this as far as I know.

If AXA are charging you a reasonable quote (the price for adding you as a named driver should be much less than other companies if they're imposing such a restriction) then I'd recommend going with them until the policy is up. I assume your mother has a full license and is over 25 so it's not like you have an issue finding someone to accompany you. If AXA are charging the same obscene quotes that other companies are charging, then I'd tell them to go stick it tbh.

yeah i think that is why she was reluctanct to change.

Which insurance company did you ask as to whether you would be insured or not?

Advertisement