Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article on how Live is being ruined by racist homophobs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ah of course it's *just* the Americans.

I suppose the Brits dont throw abuse our way?
    or vice versa?

Away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've yet to meet a Brit or an Irish person online who has threatened to "rape me in the face".

Of course there are some out there. However there's a lot more abusive Americans on Live. I'd say a lot of gamers here would block America in matchmaking, if the console allowed you to pick or ban certain countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I gotta agree, very generalised view but in my experience its Americans that throw the most abuse, just the other day in Halo a party of us all agreed to send complaints agains these 2 guys that were Racialy abusing a guy on our team. I mean realy strong stuff i wouldnt want my kid to be listhening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I think it's just with the number of Americans on Live, there's a greater risk of encountering less pleasant players. Ye've all encountered nice American players too, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Its the yanks full stop. Anytime i have played on live and there were brits involved the only thing they have done is take it too seriously (ie say over when finished talkin or even shout NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when they died) most times playin against yanks there is some ****nugget talkin shíte and thats why i have the voice volume turned off

Matter of fact one of them claimed he was puttin a curse on my ma! All i did was shoot him in the head like!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I wouldn'tsay its just the yanks, my experience is that 80% of people in fps who are under 17 cause the most abuse.
    I usually just play with firends, but the odd time when i play in public servers its kids that annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

^^ +1 for that. It's the younger immature players I feel who bring the level down. I mute any player once I hear what sounds to me like a childs voice, because the majority of the time they act like absolute *****s and I don't want to be hearing them.

I've had good conversations with americans and while I agree with the generalisation if I had a choice I'd choose not to play with people under 18 rather than all americans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i generally just plug in my headset and turn it all the way down. If there was a match making option to allow you select what age group you were matched with it would be a godsend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

djkeogh wrote: »
    I had a choice I'd choose not to play with people under 18 rather than all americans
    + 1

Besides - they make me feel old. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Poor racist homophobs, guys just cant get a break.

This thread is so anti racist homophobs.

Who are we to opress the racist and homophobic.

Its just one big circle of hate, they hate gays and blacks an we hate them. The circle of life is complete.

On a serious note I also believe its the age rather than country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i agree that its an age thing, but yank kids are more likely to go through the entire game singing or making stupid noises etc, in fact ive not yet come across another nationality who does that

im not saying there arent other nationalities who do, just that ive not happened across them (fortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Helix wrote: »
    but yank kids are more likely to go through the entire game singing

The one thing I can't stand the most... Like, why do they do it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

i agree that its an age thing, but yank kids are more likely to go through the entire game singing or making stupid noises etc,(fortunately)

ill admit i get abusive towards those little ****s..... but i think its a little more acceptable an you can get a laugh from it a good bit of the time....

but theres as many abusive brits as there is yanks...
    i cant comment bout us irish as ive only had the pleasure of playing wit very few.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

If you report people acting like this do microsoft actually follow it up and investigate ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kristok wrote: »
    If you report people acting like this do microsoft actually follow it up and investigate ?

I have heard stories of bannings. Indeed, some members on these boards have been banned for having swear words and the like on their profiles, so I'd imagine they take racism seriously.

It is just ridiculous these days though. If it is a minority of users doing this, they are a really vocal minority as you rarely get a game without them. I just find it hard to imagine a bunch of 15 year old American kids sitting at home swearing and being generally xenophobic - when has racism ever been fun? What kind of demented mind sits at home thinking that the words 'gay', 'fag' or worse is a sensible response. It boggles the mind that there are so many tools out there who just don't seem to realise what ridiculous gob****es they are being, ruining an otherwise superb service for everyone else. Their delusions of wit never ceases to perplex.

Perhaps a standard IQ test would weed out the idiots. I know this may seem elitist, but seriously, there are so many eejits on Live such a harsh, cynical action would actually make some kind of sense. Although maybe there are some nice, quiet folk with low IQs. Hmm... maybe those with a voice pitch above certain decibel levels should be banned instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Ok I will be honest i dont understand why he is moaning if someone cant handle that with a game how are they going to get on in the real world?. Im not trying to be mean but with everything especially something that stays anonymous there will always be some F**k giving you stick you just either give it back or mute him and then go pac man on his ass:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

kaimera wrote: »

or vice versa?

Away.

In my 3 years of live gaming, I think I've been referred as a "paddy ****er" (or to that effect) once.

I was called a pikey, but I laughed that off!
    silvine wrote: »
    I've yet to meet a Brit or an Irish person online who has threatened to "rape me in the face".

Of course there are some out there. However there's a lot more abusive Americans on Live. I'd say a lot of gamers here would block America in matchmaking, if the console allowed you to pick or ban certain countries.

Hahahaha:D I've yet to hear that!

"I'm gonna rape your ass, you little f@ggot":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

i agree that its an age thing, but yank kids are more likely to go through the entire game singing or making stupid noises etc, in fact ive not yet come across another nationality who does that

im not saying there arent other nationalities who do, just that ive not happened across them (fortunately)

Oh there are a lot of English "rappers" who do a very bad impression of the guy who commentates on the FIFA Street games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive only encountered 1 guy who was abusive racially or otherwise on live. He was american and i muted and reported him. He was abusing some other guy.

Its unfair to brand all americans with the same brush. They make up the vast majority of english speakers that we encounter online hence they statistical probability of meeting tossers also increases.

Its the kids from any country that do my head in most.

Thats why i joined the site in my sig. Its an xbox forum run by normal punters from ireland and the uk with leagues, online social nites and stuff.
    [generalised racism] No more screaming english yobbo kids or farting fat yankies! [/generalised racism]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I think you'd find that statistically it's the same for most nationalities on live. It's just there are more Americans on it. The last time I played Halo 3 I was on with just Irish and British. Quite a lot of the Irish crowd were extremely abusive that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

kaimera wrote: »

or vice versa?

Away.

Lol! Aren't you the guy who once posted the infamous line " FU*K YOU, AND FU*K YOUR FAMILIES!" about a drunken guy throwing up near the Luas?!

Your question would imply your american - It all makes sense now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can think of 2 Irish guys I know who are as abusive if not worse on x-box live.

Most of the article is correct, in fact one of the reasons I don't play on live anymore would be because of the abuse. But the only true way of removing the problem is to give more control back to players, the ability for single users to kick and ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Hehe i can think of many many irish people who give people stick but it isnt them that start it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I don't mind people talking smack - in fact sometimes it can be funny as when people rip on each other. There are also guys who just waste their time waffling all the time - In one game of Burnout Paradise there was some sap who constantly spewed out Sound bites from Dr. Phil... Annoying, sure, but not detrimental to gameplay.

There's a line though, that it's obvious when it has been crossed and it's not right for anyone to have to listen to that sort of abuse, and certainly not right for anyone to have to be the subject of that abuse. I don't think we can tar everyone on the same brush - The worst seem to be US guys, but some British guys have also been fairly graphic in their abuse. However, I rarely seem to be matched against an Irish player, that I can't say how good or bad we are.

I've generally given bad feedback, and filed a complaint. MS are usually good at checking into that sort of thing and acting on it. They check into it to make sure you're not just filing a complaint because someone owned you in a game and you're being a bitter loser :)

People do get banned because of complaints, though, if they're seen as valid complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the complaints system is a bit rubbish tho

ive been given bad reviews for trash talking (i dont use the mic) and unsporting play (im really bad at games and tend to get hammered every time i play lol)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Most of the article is correct, in fact one of the reasons I don't play on live anymore would be because of the abuse.

One of the reasons I don't use the headset and mute all players is because of the crap you have to listen to. I wouldn't stop playing on Live because of it though. They can talk crap all they want in my games. I can't hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

how about using the mute option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was playing COD4 yesterday... during one session, a guy took a phone call and was talking about his night on the lash the night before (in detail).

During another, an American teen screamed to his "Mom" 3 times that he was busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Lol! Aren't you the guy who once posted the infamous line " FU*K YOU, AND FU*K YOUR FAMILIES!" about a drunken guy throwing up near the Luas?!

Your question would imply your american - It all makes sense now! :D
    :pac:

Actually, my question would imply I was Irish. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

id agree with it being americans tbh rather then age, play with some young english and irish kids who dont give as much abuse as americans

though tbh, they are so easy to rip out of it, at the end of the day there is a mute option on most games

and if you can give it back it usually ends up being hilarious

or if its on cod, which for me mostly it is, absolutely dominating them in game is pretty satisfying

like ive said before they can say things and feel safe because its online, just mute them, kill them, give it back...or stop playing online games and wrap yourself back up in cotton wool.

Advertisement