Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article on how Live is being ruined by racist homophobs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Statistically you are more likely to meet Americans and under eighteen year-olds if you play against randomers on Live.

There are more Americans, than any other nationality, on Live and there are more under eighteen your olds online than over-eighteen year olds (we have to go to work!).

So if someone random person is shouting abuse it is more than likely an American or a kid. Of course there are more Irish and English gamers causing hassle too. However, as generalisations go, it's a pretty valid one.

As for barring people who are under eighteen, that would be a lot harder to implement than restricting countries. People would just lie about their age.

Another arguement for blocking certain countries would be to ensure a good connection all the time. Have you ever been the only one with a **** connection getting owned by a load of Americans because of it?

Even in COD4, it makes no sense to play with the shot-gun against Americans as their connection has a quicker response time meaning your gun will nearly always fire too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

One of the reasons I don't use the headset and mute all players is because of the crap you have to listen to. I wouldn't stop playing on Live because of it though. They can talk crap all they want in my games. I can't hear them.

I enjoy being able to communicate with people while playing games, so when I have a choice between playing online with either the x-box or the pc, I choose the pc because it never reaches the limits of x-box abuse.

For me , it is the American's and Brits. Its funny to see the difference in the nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

don't think Microsoft are doing enough, but its simple economics, costs too much to properly enforce, so they have the half-arsed-feedback system.. Microsoft should stomp on a few people make an example of them, make them cry and then have Major Nelson talk about it..

as for the nationalities, lots of crazies out there.....Last month on Live i heard a guy talking about have s*x with his girlfriend for the first time to his pal, a guy giving chilli-con-carne recipes for 3 rounds of COD4 search+destroy and two guys American/Mexican screaming at each other the most unreal stuff...

I also avoid Halo 3, seems to attract the n00bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I caught a guy (american) camping last night, he hiding at the top of some stairs, shooting anyone who came up.

He killed me the first time, but once I knew where he was, I killed him 4 more times that game (in the same spot). He went ballistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just to clear something up from my comments earlier, there are two different ways to 'complain' about someone on Xbox Live:
    - Send Feedback does nothing much, it's just like stomping your feet, taking the ball and going home. Their 'cred' score goes down a little (big whoop) and nothing much happens them. It does help you avoid them so you shouldn't get matched up against that plonker again. I mean, I've received negative feedback for 'Bad Language' and I have rarely ever used the headset, so it's just someone with sour grapes because they lost (or worse, got me on their team in Rainbow Six and they lost as a result :)). But who cares about the 'cred' rating - has anyone ever actually seen someone with anything below three stars anyway?

- File Complaint is the one MS acts on more readily. There are even a few on Boards who have had their Live priveleges revoked for having swear words in their Bio. Someone would have filed a complaint against them for that. I think at first it's a small ban, with increased punishment for repeat offenders.

Filing a Complaint might take a short while to get results, because they have to check that you aren't being petty and Complaining because your opponent always chose Barca in PES, are Spawn Camping in COD 4, or constantly driving you off the road in Burnout. It does generally bring results - it's just that you as the complainer don't get feedback on the complaint many assume that nothing has happened.

Advertisement