Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I will not be getting my car serviced in Kildare again

Options
  • 04-04-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just want to let you know that I went to get my car serviced the other day by one of the main car dealers (T) in Kildare town.

Now on the way up I got caught behind a truck and alas loads of dirt spreads all over my windscreen. Needless to say I sprayed the windscreen with water from the jets and cleaned it off.

Well a couple of hours later I picked up the car after its service, I'm told this has been replaced, that has been replaced, etc. etc. Your man then tells me that my front wiper motor is gone and will need to be replaced. I told him it was working fine just 5 mins before I handed the car over and he just shrugs his shoulders and says well it's not working now. I was disgusted as I knew there's no way it was broke going in.

I then had a friend look at my car and alas we found the problem. The power cable/plug which powers the jets had been pulled out. There is no way this plug would just fall out of its own accord, it would have needed to be pulled out. Obviously I haven't got proof that they did this but I'm 99.99% convinced that they did and it has soured my experience of going to a bona-fide dealer in future. Needless to say I won't be going near that lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

god that unbelievable! :eek: seems there is alot of this going on with garages Ive heard it a good few time between charging extra for parts or something else!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hey Roaster,
    Definitely go back. It was working before you went to the garage and then you found it unplugged. Go back to a manager and highlight your concerns. Maybe it was a genuine F up. If it as at least the manager knows about his/her staff making mistakes and won't charge another customer who doesn't have a friend like yours.
    My 2cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Kikel,

The reason I don't think it was a mistake is because when we found what the problem was all you have to do is unscrew one nut from the bumper to the side and take out this plug or as what we did put it back in (to get it working again).

I took us about 20 mins to locate it but an experienced mechanic could do what we did in 30 secs and they would/should have looked there firstlto see if that what the problem was.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I defo think they were trying to do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Moved from Laois -> Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If your car is out of warranty, get it done in a local/independent place, some where you can trust.

My last service 65,000KMs on a diesel 4x4 cost me €78 in parts (i sourced myself) and €100 in labour, pre-agreed. The mechanic handed me back the fuel filter, said it didn;t need replacing till the next service, and told me the brake pads were also fine till the next time round.

I suppose that is the difference in dealing with a small one-man operation. He depends on a good relationship with his customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

My wife took her car into a dealers in Kildare to replace a tail light. They had her wait half an hour and said they replaced the light and charged her €20. When she got home she noticed it wasn't working. I checked it and lo and behold it was the same burnt out bulb:mad: Needless to say she never went back there again.

Saabdub

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Think this is better in Motors

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Roaster wrote: »
    Folks,

Just want to let you know that I went to get my car serviced the other day by one of the main car dealers (T) in Kildare town.
    This story is kind of useless without a name.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He said T, I only know of one car dealers in Kildare Town and it begins with T, could be a very wrogn assumption being made there!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sorry, I didn't pick up on that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

MYOB wrote: »
    He said T, I only know of one car dealers in Kildare Town and it begins with T, could be a very wrogn assumption being made there!

Isn't there a Volvo dealership (C) there too? I also could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

And a Toyota dealer - was the T referring to the brand or the first initial of the dealer's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I can never understand why people post threads on this board BEFORE going back to the dealership, talking to a manager and explaning they have an issue with the quality/standard/cost of repair carried out to see what their response will be first.

If you are still not satisfied after giving them the opportunity to either resolve the problem or give you an reasonable explanation of their actions you can then complain. Most reputable dealerships have procedures in place to resolve issues like this. While posters from the Kildare area may be able to identify the 'dodgy' dealership from the hints given, it may be that they would be happy to sort out the OP's grievence if given the opportunity.

Like wise it's pointless paying €20 to have a bulb (not) changed and just never going back there ever again. Any company in any industry can make a balls up - its how they deal with the problem that seperates the good guys from the bad .

(BTW I'm a long way from Kildare and don't work in any dealerships there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

prospect wrote: »
    If your car is out of warranty, get it done in a local/independent place, some where you can trust.

My last service 65,000KMs on a diesel 4x4 cost me €78 in parts (i sourced myself) and €100 in labour, pre-agreed. The mechanic handed me back the fuel filter, said it didn;t need replacing till the next service, and told me the brake pads were also fine till the next time round.

I suppose that is the difference in dealing with a small one-man operation. He depends on a good relationship with his customers.

i agree with prospect main dealers charge an arm and a leg for a basic service

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

King Kelly wrote: »
    I can never understand why people post threads on this board BEFORE going back to the dealership, talking to a manager and explaning they have an issue with the quality/standard/cost of repair carried out to see what their response will be first.

If you are still not satisfied after giving them the opportunity to either resolve the problem or give you an reasonable explanation of their actions you can then complain. Most reputable dealerships have procedures in place to resolve issues like this. While posters from the Kildare area may be able to identify the 'dodgy' dealership from the hints given, it may be that they would be happy to sort out the OP's grievence if given the opportunity.

Like wise it's pointless paying €20 to have a bulb (not) changed and just never going back there ever again. Any company in any industry can make a balls up - its how they deal with the problem that seperates the good guys from the bad .

(BTW I'm a long way from Kildare and don't work in any dealerships there!)

Totally agree!! Typical Irish attitude, complain and b***h to others instead of going back to them. (I am irish btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

hiscan wrote: »
    i agree with prospect main dealers charge an arm and a leg for a basic service
    Well someone has got to pay for the big expensive showrooms that most main dealers have these days:)!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

King Kelly wrote: »
    +1 million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Spit62500 wrote: »
    And a Toyota dealer - was the T referring to the brand or the first initial of the dealer's name?

Well the OP said the dealer was in Kildare 'town'. The only dealer I can think of beginning with 'T' is a couple of miles outside the town on the way to Monasterevin. So the 'T' might refer to the marque:confused:...

But I guess it's unfair to speculate one way or the other at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

pburns wrote: »
    Well the OP said the dealer was in Kildare 'town'. The only dealer I can think of beginning with 'T' is a couple of miles outside the town on the way to Monasterevin. So the 'T' might refer to the marque:confused:...

But I guess it's unfair to speculate one way or the other at this point.

That's what I was thinking too - my worry is that I was planning to use the dealer in the town for a service (car is still under warranty and I need a service history as the mileage is going up fast). I don't want to use them if there are issues though.

Roaster, would you mind sending me a PM if you don't want to say it publically? (although I think that it'd benefit more people if it was a public post)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

E92 wrote: »
    Well someone has got to pay for the big expensive showrooms that most main dealers have these days:)!

thats true i suppose well it wont be me well not for servicing anyway;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Saabdub wrote: »
    My wife took her car into a dealers in Kildare to replace a tail light. They had her wait half an hour and said they replaced the light and charged her €20. When she got home she noticed it wasn't working. I checked it and lo and behold it was the same burnt out bulb:mad: Needless to say she never went back there again.

Saabdub

To counter this slightly (though I do believe a lot of main dealers are ****e):

I was waiting in Clarkes Mallow to collect my car and a woman came in looking for a bulb for a sidelight or indicator (don't remember which). They looked after it free of charge (it was a peugeot) - which was obviously a sign that they were going to build up custom by treating folk decently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I don't know the OP but just to let people know that the garages in Kildare are
    Chapmans - Volvo / Rangerover
    Fitzpatricks - Toyota / Lexus
    TP Waters - Seat & assorted other brands.

Waters is a couple of miles outside the town.

Ok, I thought the (T) would give it away, so what I will add to that is (F - as per Ay Cee post), now if that doesn't give it away...

King Kelly why the f*** would I go back to a dealer that's already tried to screw me out of money? As I said this wasn't an accident (IMHO) and who do you think he's going to side with, me or his mechanics?

No I will not be going back and I thought I'd just let people know my experience and they can decide for themselves. Sure if you still want to head to that particular garage then fair enough, go ahead.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would go back definitely. What point would there be to you claiming that your car was rigged to look faulty? None. Point to the mechanic doing it? Not sure, but maybe parts to fix it would go elsewhere, or maybe he'd just nap on your buck. Point is that if you don't bring it to their attention then you don't give them a chance to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I'd definitely say something to them!
    As much out of curiousity to see how they'd try to explain it.

Robbin'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If your unhappy with the service, i would go back and give them the chance at least to remedy the problem. They can't fix something relating to their service unless customers let them know about it. Its for the benefit of your and other customers in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ddunleav

Roaster wrote: »
    Ok, I thought the (T) would give it away, so what I will add to that is (F - as per Ay Cee post), now if that doesn't give it away...

King Kelly why the f*** would I go back to a dealer that's already tried to screw me out of money? As I said this wasn't an accident (IMHO) and who do you think he's going to side with, me or his mechanics?

No I will not be going back and I thought I'd just let people know my experience and they can decide for themselves. Sure if you still want to head to that particular garage then fair enough, go ahead.
    No point in moaning about it if you dont know the def answer & didnt go back to the garage!!! its not warning ppl off the garage it may have happened whilst the mechanic was sorting your car he disconnected it and forgot to reconnect it??!!!
    IMOH Benefit of the doubt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Give the dealer the benefit of the doubt +1

a) it was an honest mistake and they deserve the chance to remedy it
    b) it was a deliberate mistake by the mechanic, and they deserve to be disciplined for it
    c) it was a deliberate ploy on behalf of the dealer to get more money from you and they deserve to be embarrassed by being asked about it

I'm also +1 on the whole "go back to the dealer before bitching about it here" sentiment. Badmouthing a dealer on a public forum and then giving hints as to what dealer it is without having the good manners to go back and let the dealer address/remedy the problem is unfair and probaby libellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

AudiChris wrote: »
    Give the dealer the benefit of the doubt +1
    Badmouthing a dealer on a public forum and then giving hints as to what dealer it is without having the good manners to go back and let the dealer address/remedy the problem is unfair and probably libellous.

Completely unfair to identify the dealer and not approach them. I've had my car serviced by a branch of the same company in Naas and never had a problem.

After a service in a well known W Dublin garage my car chugged exiting the garage - a HT lead was never reconnected to the spark plug - never stopped me getting a service in Dublin again, just not the same garage after the supervisor refused to accept that his staff were responsible but they reconnected the lead no problem.

• Advertisement

Why should I give garage the benefit of the doubt? I told the service manager that the water jets were working on the way in, he just shrugged his shoulders and said they're not now. Now tell me what type of customer service is that? Is that good manners AudiChris?

Surely if they knew the jets weren't working they should have

(i) phoned me to say this isn't working and do you want us to fix it
    or
    (ii) think back to what they've serviced and what could have made this happen.

It won't stop me going to a T garage again but not just that one. I love Toyotas and this won't stop me from buying anymore but as I said Kildare will not be getting my business.

As for libelous, get a grip. I said I was 99.99% certain (as per advice from a friend who looked at it and said the lead just couldn't fall out...) but I can't prove it.

As I originally said, I just wanted to let people know of my experience (isn't that what a public forum is for). If you wish to go there then by all means go.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with my viewpoint but hey that's life!!!

Advertisement