Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick Recovery

• 04-04-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    bit of a problem here, maybe you can help, I'm back running a while now and starting to get fit again, but also play some football which i've cut back on to focus on my running again.
    This weekend i'm running the bupa run , but my Football team are stuck so may have to play on sat, I usually would take a rest day after football, but will run on sunday.
    I'm looking for any way to help recover is a plung pool really any help, or should i find a way out of pl;aying the game, as my main focus is the run. ~(I'm not racing it jsut using it as my first 10 k this year, and build up to a few races targeted in the summer)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Ideally try not to play but if you do ensure you eat something within 30 mins of the game ending and something substantial within 2 hours and ensure good hydration after. Also, a steady warmdown after the game will help.

If you have tried plunge pool etc before and it works for you, then maybe try again. If its something you haven't tried before then don't as you don't know how you react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thanks , I will try to get out of it or at least only play for a short time if possible. , Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭token56

Ideally try to play as little of the match as possible but if you end up playing and need a quick recovery. Ice baths are always a good way to help the muscles recover. Massage is also helpful or just a good rub of the muscles by yourself. Obviously eating and rehydrating after is also key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ditch the match completely. You could get a minor knock that could hamper your run.

You seem to have put a lot of effort into this run. Have your fellow team members put the same effort into their training for this match ?

I know its selfish but I think you have to be to get the most out of your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I think you guys underestimate the major earache that Shels is likely to get from her football boss - letting the team down etc. Most football managers refuse to believe there is a life outside football. It's one of the major obstacles in getting young athletes to commit to athletics.

Do you play for Shels, Shels?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

RoyMcC wrote: »
    I think you guys underestimate the major earache that Shels is likely to get from her football boss - letting the team down etc. Most football managers refuse to believe there is a life outside football. It's one of the major obstacles in getting young athletes to commit to athletics.

Totally agree. I use to play football and had the same problem.

What clinched it for me was the fact I was wiling to train hard, stay in the night before games etc. Come match day half of my team mates were still locked from the night before and were either useless or didn't turn up.

Thats why if shels has put a lot of effort into this race I think he should be selfish !

Maybe shels team mates are more dedicated than mine were !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'm not at that level myself, jsut a sat team so no worries, Only played the second half in the eind but relly did feel that at the 6-8 K , suffered there but it was good :)

Advertisement