Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent car / camper van and travel around Europe

• 04-04-2008 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Has anybody ever done this? I was contemplating it this summer. Might be interesting! It would give us alot of freedom, but I'd be afraid I would spend the whole time worrying about the car or somethin.

How much would it cost to rent a car for a few weeks? And is it possible to pick it up somewhere and drop it off somewhere else (ie. the company collect it)?

Cheers folks,

Just brainstorming what to do this summer! :D

edit: I have a full license and an EU passport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

We were also thinking of doing this

However what we have decided to do instead (although maybe not this year) is get a cheap flight to London, then there is a huge used camper van market in Islington, North London, and we want to buy a camper van, with a budget of around €5,000, spreading the cost between all of us.

We're going to drive it around Western Europe, staying in France for a good while, then bring it back on a day to coincide with the market and hopefully sell it for pretty much what we bought it for.

The only real problems we see with this are the need to insure it ourselves, and also the fact that it won't be as reliable as a hired camper van, but at the same time we won't be worrying about it, it'll have much more of a homely/student road trip atmosphere

The main reason why we decided this is that we're all only around 21, although we do have full licences, car hire companies usually want you to be at least 25 so we thought it would be too difficult to hire

A forum where you might find info about this is:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Me and 3 of my Friends did this 3 summers ago. We rented a campervan from a rental company just outside Dusseldorf. From there we drove to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Malmo, Stockholm, Boat to Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Berlin and then back to Dusseldorf and flew home from there. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I think it was around €1200 and €1000 deposit for 3 weeks(We lost about €700 of the deposit following a few "Incidents" on the road). If I was to do it again I would of probably done it over 4 weeks or else maybe do less cities. Towards the end we were rushing to get back to Dusseldorf. I actually got a load of info from a poster here on boards but I can't find any of the threads from back then? I keep looking and let you know if I find anything otherwise I'm open to questions?

Advertisement