Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boards pro's.. where you at?

• 04-04-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

just curious as to what levels we're all at and goals etc your making over a month/year etc..

myself, although i wouldn't classify myself as a 'pro' per se, it is my only source of income at the moment until i figure out what the hell to do with myself in the real world so i'm on temporary status atm, i hope..

my trend lately has been to grind a solid month of around 100k hands at 1/2, 2/4 and 3/6nl usually playing around 10tables or if the higher games arn't any good just fill my screen with 16tables at 1/2 and go into robot mode..

after a month's grinding though i usually take a month off and go travelling or just do more outdoor activities, party more etc with poker taking a backseat maybe only getting in around 40k hands or so, sometimes less, which works fine for me atm..

i try to set a 100k hand target every month, and try to push myself to play as much of the higher tables as possible, which looking back on my results have been terrible goals as i've been unachieving somewhat with results lacking, but nonetheless i do try.. in saying that, it's been a long time since i've had a red month with playing so many hands eating up the varience which has been reassurring..

so how do the rest of you approach the day to day grind? and what goals etc help keep your sanity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I have nothing useful to add but 100k hands per month is :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

[nicK] wrote: »
    maybe only getting in around 40k hands or so

i haven't played that many hands in a month in about 6months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

yeah 100k a month makes you a sicko

Pretty cool way to live though tbh, ie grind for a month travel for a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I have never done over 23k hands in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

So by grinding you depend on rb as an income? (presuming your on rb?)
    Or do you still have a decent win rate 10 -16 tableing.

How much do you aim to make a year? ( dont have to answer)

nice avatar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I did 33k hands last month, more than Ive played in a month before, I only have a total of 100k hands on all my other usernames over the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    yeah 100k a month makes you a sicko

Pretty cool way to live though tbh, ie grind for a month travel for a month

i shoulda prefaced the post by saying that yeah, although my hand targets are usually around 100k i've recently been underachieving and i'd say over my past 6mths i've averaged around 65k hands/mth.. mainly because of a horrible 80k breakeven stretch and, well, i'm lazier than i'd like to believe..

playing 16tables works out at 1k hands per hour.. so 100k hands works out to 100hrs or 25hrs/week.. my multitabling average though is around 12 as it's hard to maintain 16tables when tables get broken up or sometimes there arn't enough games going.. so this adds an extra few hours to the month..

So by grinding you depend on rb as an income? (presuming your on rb?)
    Or do you still have a decent win rate 10 -16 tableing.

How much do you aim to make a year? ( dont have to answer)

nice avatar

i don't depend on rakeback but yeah, it is a pretty nice bonus at the end of every month.. over 70k hands i can expect a little less than 4k in rakeback with another 1k from a continuous bonus..

as stupid as it sounds, i use to play a hell of a lot of computer games when younger so have always been use to the quick clicking and thinking that multitabling requires so it hasn't eaten into my winrate too much although i expect i would have nicer looking graphs if i played less tables but wouldn't make nearly as much.. the fact that i've played so many hands throughout the past year as well helps in making quick desicions in tough spots as i've seen them many times before..

i wouldn't like to say how much i expect to make in a year though, don't want to sound like a complete eejit..

anyway, i'm only one of many.. i'd like to hear how the rest of you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I will never understand how you guys can play 16 tables at the time…..I struggle to keep up with 4 open playing SNG :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

To try and divert back on topic like Nick wants....

I am struggling to get the hands in because of well documented internet connection problems.
    If it were not for these I would be looking to play about 20k hands a month, no doubt I could get more in though.
    For the last 30k hands I've been running hot beating 50nl for 8bb/100

Before my net went busto I moved up to 100nl somewhat unsuccessfully, although more so due to bad beats rather then bad play. Hopefully I will be comfortably beating 100nl and looking at moving to 200nl by the end of september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Poker_Tony

Might sound like a stupid question, but when you are 16 tabling do you cascade the tables

• Advertisement

On topic - Im playing 200NL, hoping to move to 400NL in the next week or so and be playing 1000NL by the end of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I would give my left nut to be able to play over 40k hands a month. I'd probably give both to be able to play 100k.

Nice work [nick]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

I would be delighted if I played 100,000 hands this year. That is an incredible amount of hands but then again the max I play is 4 tables. Any more than that and my play deteriorates, still cannot understand how people can play 16 tables tbh

Ste05 wrote: »
    I would give my left nut to be able to play over 40k hands a month. I'd probably give both to be able to play 100k.

Nice work [nick]

100k hands a month sounds like my idea of hell tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I thought I was doing okay playing 10k hands a month! :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Since Christmas, Ive played about 30k hands of holdem online (lol). Currently playing 2/4-5/10 holdem with a bit of 2/4 and occasional micro and 5/10 PLO.

However, I bought a new 21" montior last week, so ive finally started playing some 1k hand sessions again and hope to play a minimum of 50k hands amonth before I leave Australia to go to India in June. I currently play between 8 and 12 tables.

Now if someone at Ipoker could just switch off the doomswitch on my account, else I'll be back to .50/1 in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I'm straddling between 1-2 and 2-4 at the moment. Although I've played plenty of 2-4 and a bit of 3-6 before I'm overly protective of my bankroll. I hope to be playing 5-10 by the end of the Summer. I set a target of 8K hands a week which don't always reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

i'm doing good at 5-10 holdem of late.. omaha is 'meh' recently.. and horse is also not so hawt so i'm gonna start watching tv while playing it again..those razz periods can be draining fo'sho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

cooker3 wrote: »
    I have never done over 23k hands in a month.

I have not reached 23k hands in 2.4 years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

100k hands in a month i will struggle to get 60k hands in for the year, i mostly play 2/4, 3/6 and 5/10 PLO and play very little if any HE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

I play roughly 30 hands of 1000nl every Friday whilst blind drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭30something

Lazare wrote: »
    I play roughly 30 hands of 1000nl every Friday whilst blind drunk.

..... Having been eliminated from one of the live tourneys pushing with 8/3 off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

4k rake a month! 16 tables! i'm happy to pick up a couple of hundred bucks here and there that i can waste trying to win tickets for big live games.

curious as to what kind of rake other folks are making...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

I was making ~$1500/mth in rakeback at 100NL, playing about 40k hands/mth.
    2 weeks back i withdrew 1/3 my bankroll and then proceeded to run like crap at 100NL (18buyin below expect in 10k hands!) - so now im back to 50NL.... I will be very happy to be playing 1-2 comfortably by the end of the summer (part-time), and using rakeback to pay for rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

12k hands of 50nl and 9k hands of 20nl got me a monkey in rakeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭GrangeUtd

I play 70k hands a month 8 tabling mainly 50.1 way overrolled, play some 1.2 have run bad thus far, Bout 2k rakeback a month. I dont find it that hard. I also work full time 40 hrs and play football tue,fri and sunday and im a weekend piss head. I work 7-3.30 i think that helps a lot and i dont sleep much.

GrangeUtd wrote: »
    I play 70k hands a month 8 tabling mainly 50.1 way overrolled, play some 1.2 have run bad thus far, Bout 2k rakeback a month. I dont find it that hard. I also work full time 40 hrs and play football tue,fri and sunday and im a weekend piss head. I work 7-3.30 i think that helps a lot and i dont sleep ever

fyp!

Goy my rb for march today. $51, get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

2k a month.... i'm definitely doing something wrong....

One of the guys we know out here rakes about 15k a month so he gets about 7.5k rakeback. They were telling us last night that Liliasa on Ipoker rakes 60k a month, so gets 30k or so every month in rakeback. Lmao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

bloody hell, it would take ~800k hands at 100NL to earn that sort of rake!... what stakes does Liliasa play at?

He plays pretty much every table of 5/10 on Ipoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭BIGMICKG

im gonna be playing a serious volume of games for the rest of the year as im gonna have a real go at getting supernova elite on stars. 9-13 tabling the $100-$200 turbo sngs with the odd $300 and $500. expecting to get around $6k worth of fpps (rakeback) a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

As a full time player for the last year I have being doing ok.... As mentioned before I withdraw a wage evey week/month and have managed to do it without fail...

As regards hand numbers I normally play 50k hands pm but did one month of 70 k and nearly fried my brain and although rb was good I only was slightly up from play...

Due to a new project I've been busy last month and only played 15 k hands but what I did play was good and still turned a nice profit running hot at 12bb/100

still playing 1/2 although rolled for 2/4 but I'm a bit of a br nit...

playing on i-poker network without disconnections :) ( I blame new ariel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

BIGMICKG wrote: »
    im gonna be playing a serious volume of games for the rest of the year as im gonna have a real go at getting supernova elite on stars. 9-13 tabling the $100-$200 turbo sngs with the odd $300 and $500. expecting to get around $6k worth of fpps (rakeback) a month

would you not rather get hard cash, you can't cash out enough fpps to make this worth while unless you want a top of range car or something.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    would you not rather get hard cash, you can't cash out enough fpps to make this worth while unless you want a top of range car or something.
    well i will be making a profit also. and i can cash in the fpps 100,000 for $1,500 and it only takes 10,500 base fpps to clear this. id accumalate that in 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

well i will be making a profit also. and i can cash in the fpps 100,000 for $1,500 and it only takes 10,500 base fpps to clear this. id accumalate that in 2 days

What does that mean?
    If you are gonna make $6k from fpps a month, will you be accumulating 400k in FPPs a month?

delanec8 wrote: »
    What does that mean?
    If you are gonna make $6k from fpps a month, will you be accumulating 400k in FPPs a month?

yes well around 80-100k base fpps a month x 3.5 cos im supernova is about 300-350k a month. and then theres 28k worth of milestone bonuses on the way to supernova elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

yes well around 80-100k base fpps a month x 3.5 cos im supernova is about 300-350k a month. and then theres 28k worth of milestone bonuses on the way to supernova elite

So In 10 months you'll be trading points for a porsche ??? :o

3 Million for a car, ain't it ???

I'm riding shotgun when you collect it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

cuterob wrote: »
    i'm doing good at 5-10 holdem of late.. omaha is 'meh' recently.. and horse is also not so hawt so i'm gonna start watching tv while playing it again..those razz periods can be draining fo'sho

Poker must be treating you bad of late if your stuck on .5/.10... Suppose you are struggling to get a bankroll together for 50NL. Move up levels "fo'sho" :p

100k hands a month is sick... The most I ever got from rakeback was $200, doesn't help sticking to 50/100NL.. oh well I can always dream!

stevire wrote: »
    Poker must be treating you bad of late if your stuck on .5/.10... Suppose you are struggling to get a bankroll together for 50NL. Move up levels "fo'sho" :p

100k hands a month is sick... The most I ever got from rakeback was $200, doesn't help sticking to 50/100NL.. oh well I can always dream!

haha yea i may take a shot .10/.20 soon.. what site were you playing.. fulltilt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

cuterob wrote: »
    haha yea i may take a shot .10/.20 soon.. what site were you playing.. fulltilt?

No Betfair... still have money on it but stupid new NTL broadband for some reason crashes anytime I start it up

stevire wrote: »
    No Betfair... still have money on it but stupid new NTL broadband for some reason crashes anytime I start it up

i got wireless digiweb and it doesnt crash at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

bohsman wrote: »
    On topic - Im playing 200NL, hoping to move to 400NL in the next week or so and be playing 1000NL by the end of June.

I thought u were broke....

Ace2007 wrote: »

I am, but my bankrolls ok. You should never mix the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

bohsman wrote: »
    I am, but my bankrolls ok. You should never mix the two.

ah so thats what i'm doing wrong:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Ace2007 wrote: »

no if he's planning on moving to 1000NL soon that means he has almost 200 dollars in his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

jesus, 100k hands a month :eek:
    I've barely played that many hands in nearly 4 years of poker.

I've been out of cash for some time. Ever since I came back down from the dizzying heights of playing 10/20 on tribeca, all I have done is the odd dabble at the 1/2 and 2/4 level.
    I'm looking to get back into it and am currently in study mode.

I don't have the time to grind, so that will never be an option for me (unless the career takes a nose dive, which, at the moment, is not looking as unlikely as it once did).

Obviously, I still play the odd tournaments and I still enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

ianmc38 wrote: »
    to go to India in June

Made the same mistake myself before. Head for the hills as soon as you get there. Too hot to enjoy anything else apart from air conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭DocO

gosplan wrote: »
    Made the same mistake myself before. Head for the hills as soon as you get there. Too hot to enjoy anything else apart from air conditioning.

the himalaychan region is just class over there! manali shimla dharmasala and lei etc -

Advertisement