Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp liscense question (again)

• 04-04-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

got called to set up a laptop for a woman who had got it upgraded in a pc chain store, a very common PC store

they had charged her €300 to rebuild a 1ghz laptop
    when i looked at the bill the installed xp pro for €80
    fitted new ram 512 for €40 and €30 labour
    office 2007 for €150

now hang on a sec but this pc only had a win2k product key, so how did they supply and install XP PRO for €80

anyway your one was not impressed when i showed her how to get a brand new dell for €362

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

mukki wrote: »
    how can a small support businness compete with a massive chain store that is illegally installing os's?

They didn't illegally install the OS, PC chain store is obviously a Microsoft business partner and hence they get the XP license at a lower rate than a regular joe soap buys it off the street..

You right thought it is extremely difficult for small PC businesses to compete as they have to pay the full license price on Micrsoft products..

The solution?. Fcuk Micrsoft and install Linux...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I know its easily done but does this version pass windows validation??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

koolkid wrote: »
    I know its easily done but does this version pass windows validation??

The version installed by the PC chain?. Yes its completely legit, it comes with a unique product key etc etc. There is nothing untoward about it.

Basically what happens is that when you start selling Microsoft products one you have sold a certain amount you can get them at a reduced rate. Obviously being a PC Chain they have sold a fair whack of Microsoft over the years so they get it at a reduced rate.

They probably aren't even paying €80 for that XP license, its probably more like €30 and they put a markup on it.

Advertisement