Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any need to preorder?

• 04-04-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So we're what just over 3 weeks from release now, I was planning on going into Game at the weekend and preordering, but I wonder if there's any point? I assume Game et al will have special offers (don't Game normally offer double points or something, big whoop, but still free cash) but I'd also assume that everywhere will get loads of copies. I won't be in line on the Tuesday morning or anything, it'll be more likely to be Friday before I get it - for that reason alone, I suspect a preorder is worth the effort.

Just a quick question, I plan on trading in to get the game, can I preorder, pay my deposit in cash and then trade in to cover the difference when I go to pick it up?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, if you're just after the normal version, I'd say you'll be fine. I've ordered the Special :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no harm in preordering tbh just to be safe.

i'd rather pre-order and then find out i didn't need to than try to go in a buy and them saying, "sorry preorder only".

you're going to buy it anyways so you might as well just book it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

yea- tis only 57.99 on cdwow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, that's what I figured, got it in Game this evening. Got a tenner off voucher aswell, so it'll be a nice price when I get it (probably what 50-60 euro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

I have never preordered and always been fine. Best bet head to Xtra Vision in the morning and you will be grand. It seems that people always forget that they sell games, thus they always seem to have stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

And they're *usually* quite cheap!

m83 wrote: »
    And they're *usually* quite cheap!

Yeah that's the forgotten cherry on top:D

tesco's 24 hour for me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Cremo wrote: »
    tesco's 24 hour for me tbh.

Which Tesco Cremo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

GTA SA sold out everywhere on release day didn't it? I recall lots of places only having enough to cover preorders. Given that I would preorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Stephen wrote: »
    GTA SA sold out everywhere on release day didn't it? I recall lots of places only having enough to cover preorders. Given that I would preorder.

Yes It did, A lot of my friends didn't get there's on release. I got to Argos early in the morning for the GTA:SA release and there was a least a queue of 10 in front of me.

Anyway, what's the harm in pre-ordering? It's free in Game with one of them membership card thingys.

ok, i went into xtravision today. the lad said even if i were to pre order I wouldn't get it until the week after release.

Ah they always say stuff like that, then they order in extra copies and on the day they have loads. Guarantee they will have plenty on 1st day as long as you go before lunch in early morn

You think? i fecking hope so. the thing is though why would they say that and rule out getting 5 euro for simply a booking fee?

You think? i fecking hope so. the thing is though why would they say that and rule out getting 5 euro for simply a booking fee?

Go in early wherever your getting it. I got SA in Argos but I got it as soon as they opened the door...Shame its out during the week. Damn school :mad:

Which Tesco Cremo?
    my local one - bray.

i don't even know if they are getting it in or not but it's worth the try. i have the SE ordered from www.thehut.com .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Markvtos

Stephen wrote: »

I learned my lesson with GTA: Vice City. It sold so well that I couldn't get my hands on a copy for about two weeks afterwards. I've pre-ordered ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I was told in 2 games that no chance you will get it there unless you preorder. You probably would in smaller shops though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

DrMorphine wrote: »
    I was told in 2 games that no chance you will get it there unless you preorder. You probably would in smaller shops though!

I get the impression there though that the store is only saying that just so you will pre-order it. I went into gamestop and the guy said there were only a few pre-orders and that just to check back closer to release to check if there was a need to pre-order.

Cremo wrote: »
    my local one - bray.

i don't even know if they are getting it in or not but it's worth the try. i have the SE ordered from www.thehut.com .

Cremo did you go to pres???

• Advertisement

Mates were yez?

owlwink wrote: »
    Cremo did you go to pres???
    i could have... depends who asking :p

Lets all ask Cremo questions...Cremo you are still in school, yes? What age were ye when you joined Boards, or what age were you when you became a ''boardsie''?

Lets all ask Cremo questions...Cremo you are still in school, yes? What age were ye when you joined Boards, or what age were you when you became a ''boardsie''?
    fine,

not in school in college on work placement, i'm 21.

21 minus 7 = 14 i was 14 joining boards (lol must have a look back at my first posts).

what's the difference between joining boards and becoming a boardsie?

Ah nothing, just boardsie seems kinda lame if you ask me. I've seen it pop up in AH from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I doubt too many places will sell out on the first day especially the ps3 version. Sure how many people have a ps3? I dont know too many. So I'll be chancin it on the morning without pre ordering. I bet its all hype!

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I doubt too many places will sell out on the first day especially the ps3 version. Sure how many people have a ps3? I dont know too many. So I'll be chancin it on the morning without pre ordering. I bet its all hype!

You really have underestimated the amount of people with PS3's!. I have a PS3 and struggled to get a pre-order a few days ago. There was more names for the xbox but it was more 60-40 then as low as yout thinking!. The amount of copies that come is in relation to number of consoles, so with that it's not relevant which console you want it on as demand is the same for both as there will be more Xbox copies coming then PS3.

Then again you might get one, depends where you live etc.... but to think it's just hype is a bit stupid when booking lists all over Galway anyway were as good as booked out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

You really have underestimated the amount of people with PS3's!. I have a PS3 and struggled to get a pre-order a few days ago. There was more names for the xbox but it was more 60-40 then as low as yout thinking!. The amount of copies that come is in relation to number of consoles, so with that it's not relevant which console you want it on as demand is the same for both as there will be more Xbox copies coming then PS3.

Then again you might get one, depends where you live etc.... but to think it's just hype is a bit stupid when booking lists all over Galway anyway were as good as booked out!

Sure wasn't eBay awash with ps3s just after release, with touts thinking there would be a shortage and they'd make a killing. It was predicted that the ps3 would be next to impossible to get after release day...:pac:

Take Two badly need GTA to be a success, they have literally put all their eggs in this basket. I doubt, given the time they've had to prepare, they are going to find themselves in the position of not being able to supply the demand.

I'm gonna head to Clarehall at midnight and figure between Gamestop and Tescos I should eb able to get my grubby little mits on a precious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sputnicks

I just posted this in another thread but I was in the Game in Blanch and they are not takin any more pre orders and they dont think they have enough stock for the pre orders they have takin - so message is get in early in the morning.

Is there any stores takin pre bookings now that will have stock for the release day ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

check my post on the xbox forum

Sputnicks wrote: »
    I just posted this in another thread but I was in the Game in Blanch and they are not takin any more pre orders and they dont think they have enough stock for the pre orders they have takin - so message is get in early in the morning.

Is there any stores takin pre bookings now that will have stock for the release day ????

They better bloody have mine!

Also, nobody is taking them anymore.

Grrrr, panic setting in. I am the person who usually scoffs at pre-orders as there is usually always enough to go around, but this is looking ropey now.

Can anyone confirm if Tesco's will be stocking at midnight, namely Clarehall. I rang up and got one of those 'am I bovvered' type assistants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Can anyone confirm if Tesco's will be stocking at midnight, namely Clarehall. I rang up and got one of those 'am I bovvered' type assistants.

Ha ha thats a goodone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No pre-order here, I'm just going to chance it on the day. I didn't have any problem getting SA, Halo 2 and 3 on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Does a shop have an allocation and if its all pre ordered then they have nothing to sell on the day or do they have some for the shop? I am the same been talking about this for about a year and now I havent preordered I am thinking I might miss the launch day. Tesco online still claim for delivery on release day. I have already ordered it from amazon only to get an email saying estimated delivery 6-7th may wtf!! I will cancel and buy from tescos if I am sure to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

That's up to the shop whether or not they hold any stock for the day of release or not. Every retailer puts in an initial request for stock but it's only now that we are getting final confirmations on our initial release day stock levels. That is why you have to be very careful when taking pre orders. There will be extra stock available 2-3 weeks after the release date as more stock arrives from the publishers then.

From reading around the threads here and from anecdotal evidence we are recieving through our customers it does appear that some of the retailers who have taken pre orders have taken more pre orders than they are getting stock of and obviously the best advice here is to get there early on release day or face waiting for the second batch to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

How early do shops online stores etc get the product before release day? Do any of you take it home for a go or play in store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Pre booked mine a few weeks back in Xtravision was in there the other day and the guy told me I will defo have one on launch day. They are still taking pre orders but anyone who books now wont get theres until a few weeks down the line. It could be worth a shot to pre book in an Xtravision and then hope on the day that the cashier messes up and gives you a copy. Its dishonest and you will be screwing another gamer but hey its GTA right!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

MREGAN wrote: »
    How early do shops online stores etc get the product before release day? Do any of you take it home for a go or play in store?

We're expecting delivery on the Friday before. Can't possibly comment on the last question ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'll be getting down to xtravision early to pickup my preorder, just wouldn't trust leaving it til later.

• Advertisement

So I bit the bullet. The old man was in Clarehall and pre-booked in Gamestop, so they are still taking pre-bookings. He said that the bloke working there told him technically they can't guarantee you'll get a copy, but that they think they should have more than enough to go round.

However, i'm going to head up at midnight and if they are doing the time-coding with the receipts, wander into Tesco's and pick one up there.

There's not a hope i'm waiting a week for the next shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mikew1985

Hmm, thanks for the info re: Gamestop in Clarehall, may just pay a visit there on my way home from the Dart this evening and pop onto the pre-order list. Must go for my first ever midnighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I was told "Your never going to get it if you dont pre-order" with san andreas, but i got it no bother, the only problem i had was being under 18,after a while i got someone to buy it for me! :D they make a huge deal about that with the GTA games, as they have a notorious rep for being violent :pac: it was like buying a really illegal rare drug...

xtra vision said they were double booked! What the hell? ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I booked my copy of sa in xtravision and when I picked it up just after the store opened they were turning people away who hadn't pre-ordered. I'm sure there'll be places you can get a copy of gta4 without a pre-order but there'll be plenty of places where you can't.

It's hard to know. I have never pre-ordered before and alwyas got my game, usually having a choice of stores to choose from, but the vibes i'm getting about GTA 4 and the facy I don't want to risk it, meant I bit thge bullet.

If you have'n pre-rdered, i'd say you're best bet is to hit up Henry St. at 9am. You have a HMV, 2X Gamestops, 2XGolden Discs, Tescos, Dixons, Smyths, and Argos all in your vicinity (and a Tower Records on O'Connell Street if you're pushed). If you can't get one out of that lot than it wasn't meant to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's hard to know. I have never pre-ordered before and alwyas got my game, usually having a choice of stores to choose from, but the vibes i'm getting about GTA 4 and the facy I don't want to risk it, meant I bit thge bullet.

If you have'n pre-rdered, i'd say you're best bet is to hit up Henry St. at 9am. You have a HMV, 2X Gamestops, 2XGolden Discs, Tescos, Dixons, Smyths, and Argos all in your vicinity (and a Tower Records on O'Connell Street if you're pushed). If you can't get one out of that lot than it wasn't meant to be.

Well that's my plan

worked a treat for SA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

thats my plan to work and an xtravision in corbally that opens at 10.30am Ic an pop down to when I'm at work !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭v10

When's it out ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

v10 wrote: »
    When's it out ?
    Next Tuesday, the 29th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thats it...i'm booking the day off work, and am going to go in for the midnight launch. If i dont get it then, i will go in for 9am and get it then. Going to ring a few shops today and see if there are any pre-bookings left. I will not go past tuesday without having this game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement