Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camping! What's the big deal?

• 04-04-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

All over the web I read complaints about people camping in COD4. What's the problem with it exactly?

On some maps I camp, on others I don't. I love when people camp on maps like Crossfire or Countdown. The camping spots are well known and the quick and efficient use of a cooked grenade is an easy way to get a kill on these guys once you are aware of them.

I especially love the guys who don't even shift their position slightly after killing me. It's easy to re-visit and almost shoot blind :)

The poll is multiple choice and public
    So how do you vote?

Well I think people who camp all the time are "teh gay" but I sometimes like to camp myself so I would select "Pack the tent love" and "teh ghey" option :D

Camping, Love or loathe? 113 votes

Pack the tent love!
    0%
    I never camp
    36%
    Kintarō HattoriMountjoy MuggerCreaturesuppaflyRabiesmijuTheHairyFairyebowdiaConarnorrie ruggermicksKorvanicamaninaskirtThe tax manweederDavei141blahblah06Genghiz CohenthehomeofDobr3nu4l 41 votes
    Camping is teh ghey
    20%
    SpearNeVeRspooky donkeyRabiesHolstenSteffano2002delta214Devil5434Kinetic^Polar IcepkenoKamiKazirizzlaDr. Baltarbjj-fighterdavemulSuperSean11KeggersNedved85MissL 23 votes
    Camping is teh kewl
    34%
    ShiminayNeVeRsuppaflyCullilinguskmart6joseph brandExneighHolstenPhilCurranRbbaz909delta214The tax manPatricideKinetic^christophicusBlack hole sunPolar IceSeantheManthehomeofDob 39 votes
    Is this about Dale Winton???
    8%
    SeiferDavei141Genghiz CohenDisco Stumichelleanspirelliseamus-2k7supertrampSod'o swordseVeNtInE 10 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Camping is teh ghey
    Camping is teh ghey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Camping is teh kewl
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    Camping is teh ghey

Ah, but why so? Simply making a statement does not make it true! Convert the campers with your reasons for such a dramatic stance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I don't camp, i don't find it ghey, nor do i hate it. I don't mind people camping but there isn't a option for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Camping is teh kewl
    I don't pay attention to what people do in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Camping is teh kewl
    Depends on the map, I camp on some maps - but only 'cause I'm crap at them. :rolleyes: I don't mind it, it's a play style. I really don't like spawn camping though. It's the same as getting killed twice with the same airstrike... argh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

I never camp
    cant see whats wrong with camping i mean if your playing as a sniper class theres no point in running around like a lunatic getting mowed down by m16 fire :confused:

Camping is teh kewl
    I don't camp, i don't find it ghey, nor do i hate it. I don't mind people camping but there isn't a option for that.
    Yeah, the poll's a bit of fun and I didn't want fence sitting :D
    Depends on the map, I camp on some maps - but only 'cause I'm crap at them. :rolleyes: I don't mind it, it's a play style. I really don't like spawn camping though. It's the same as getting killed twice with the same airstrike... argh!
    Yeah, spawn camping is really poor form, regular camping I can live with.
    cant see whats wrong with camping i mean if your playing as a sniper class theres no point in running around like a lunatic getting mowed down by m16 fire :confused:

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The reason camping is hated is that it ruins the game.

If everyone camps, then there's no game - it's just a bunch of losers sitting in corners. Because everyone is camping, you'll never see each other, and there's no kills.

Obviously, you'll never get into a situation where everybody is camping, but the point is, that the camper is using tactics that:
    a) Give him an unfair advantage
    b) If everybody used, would ruin the game.

I don't mind someone ducking into a corner if they know you're coming (ie they see you from a window or hear you set off a claymore), but when you see some guys on the killcam, and ALL they do is sit in a corner waiting for someone to walk by....it's lame and I don't see the fun in it.

I don't have a problem with snipers camping, that's a completely different thing tbh.

Camping is teh kewl
    If everyone camps, then there's no game - it's just a bunch of losers sitting in corners. Because everyone is camping, you'll never see each other, and there's no kills.

Obviously, you'll never get into a situation where everybody is camping, but the point is, that the camper is using tactics that:
    a) Give him an unfair advantage
    b) If everybody used, would ruin the game.
    Interesting, very recently I had a game (Countdown) where the majority were camping, two in hangers, one guy between the hangers, two guys lying on top of the oil trucks and one guy on the missile silo lid. That left two of us running around trying to take them out :D
    I don't have a problem with snipers camping, that's a completely different thing tbh.
    Yeah, that's my own view. Even at that, my sniper class uses the overkill perk so I always have the option of running around killing people with an RPD or MP44. I usually use it until I find a good spot, then break out the sniper rifle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

I never camp
    well i mean i dont camp on every level of course :D

only when appropriate , very few of the levels are actually suited for it in COD4

its the people who play as snipers all the time and just camp all the time that give rest of us a bad name ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Interesting, very recently I had a game (Countdown) where the majority were camping, two in hangers, one guy between the hangers, two guys lying on top of the oil trucks and one guy on the missile silo lid. That left two of us running around trying to take them out :D
    I don't know if i'd consider all of those guys camping. On the oil trucks, well, thats more of a sniping type thing...and you can be seen from miles away, and be attacked from behind, so it's not really 'hiding'.

I think of camping as being where one guy finds a spot that people walk past a lot, crouches in a corner with his sights aimed straight at the entrance, and just sits there for as long as it takes for someone to walk by. So you havent a chance, he's shot you in the side/back before you've even seen him. And then he just runs off to another spot.

If it's a legitimate tactic (S&D etc) I wouldn't have a problem with it. And I don't see much of it anyway, so I couldn't care less either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I never camp
    I usally run to a spot and camp, get e couple of kills and move on but when im doing the weapons challenges i gun and run. Camping is just part of the game and if you get annoyed when 1 kills you it means your not as good as you think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If I'm sniping, I'll stop in a spot for a few kills, then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

Camping is teh kewl
    tomred1 wrote: »
    I usally run to a spot and camp, get e couple of kills and move on but when im doing the weapons challenges i gun and run. Camping is just part of the game and if you get annoyed when 1 kills you it means your not as good as you think you are.

Camping is definitly not part of the game, but many low and new players do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Why not just go back and kill the camper if he annoys you that much?

I have my camper hunting loadout - 3 frags, flash, deep impact (for shooting through walls, m60 and last stand to get off another couple of shots and give time to spot him properly for the next run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

65f6c88440d2c3414ae29748d7d1c117.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Camping is teh kewl
    Might stay in a spot for a while when in sniper class,one or two kills(if lucky) then gets me coat and legs it for obvious reasons. At least COD4 has plenty of re-spawning points to see off the shítebags that just sit and wait for someone to spawn a 1/2 inch from the barrel of their gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I'm half a camper, half a runner really. I hate sniping, so whenever I camp it's usually when I find an exclusive hiding spot. Like on top of a ledge of a wall near the entrance to one of the apartments in Bloc, or on top of that huge rocket launcher on Countdown (it's easy to get to). If not, I'm running around with my RPD...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I dont have a problem with campers. And as said before theres always a way of getting them. There nothing more satisfying than sneaking up on a bunch of snipers, on the central ridge in Creek for example, and kniving them.. :)

What i do dislike are grenade launchers, they mess up the game far more than camping imo

Camping is teh kewl
    mise wrote: »
    What i do dislike are grenade launchers, they mess up the game far more than camping imo
    Yeah, I don't like them either! Get two kills, die, re-spawn, get two kills, die, re-spawn...repeat ad nauseum. Those people bug me more than any other type in the game.

Back to camping...Last night in Countdown a guy was camping in one of the hangers but after each kill he moved to the opposite corner of the hanger. Once I figured out his strategy he was pretty easy to get, I killed him 5 times in the game :) Satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

Camping is teh kewl
    Like realy nasty camping. Going back to that exact same spot all over again. Everything will be ok. You get killed by someone who is bunkered. He/she usually sits/lies looking at frquently visited streets/windows etc. Most of the time cooked granade or if lucky knife in the back solves the problem. If I can't get him/her just avoid that place but if there is 6 people in your team, big chance is he will get 5 kills in the row and then 7 after succesful air strike and then "enemy chopper in bound". Not very nice on hardcore mode.

And like someone said "grandade luchers" most lame ever. You don't even have to aim. Takes all the skill form the game.

You can "camp" as much as you like but always players who rush all the times have highest score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Camping is teh kewl
    Nothing wrong with camping. It's all in the game and it's not cheating. If you have a problem with campers, figure out how to kill them!

Running and gunning is more exciting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I never camp
    silvine wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with camping. It's all in the game and it's not cheating. If you have a problem with campers, figure out how to kill them!

Running and gunning is more exciting anyway.

That's the thing.
    If you can not kill them then it is a flaw in your game style, not theirs.

Camping is teh kewl
    That's the thing.
    If you can not kill them then it is a flaw in your game style, not theirs.

Exactly, to get caught out once is fine but if he hasn't moved from the spot and he gets you again, then that's your fault, not his!

I agree though, running and gunning is best, camping can get very boring if nobody is visiting the area you've chosen to camp in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

Camping is teh kewl
    If you are good you can take down anyone. End of story. Even playing airsoft or paintball there is always someone who try to avoid geting shot. Which makes him unable to active participating in fun.

Moral is: Camping is sad. To be a camper is sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Define camping though. If you stay in one spot for more than two seconds some people call it camping. Like sniping? Is that camping, well how else shall you snipe? Hiding behind corners? That camping? I don't see why people moan about campers because they can only catch you out once maybe twice. if they're hiding in a corner and kill you you know where they are flash, nade or shoot them through the wall. You have to be extremely mentally handicapped if they kill you more that two times.
    Campers are easily killed. So no point in moaning about them, just kill them.
    Btw i don't camp.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

what about in some forms of game is camping not best way to play say when u are defending a hq (there is no point in running to the other end of map) what about sabotage when you kill the person on the other team with the bomb, should you not get a good spot to cover it to kill enemy. what i don't like and don't play is free for all (its nearly always shipment) spawn die spawn die as someone is covering the spawn point only hope u have is martyrdom and blow them up with the grenade

so to me it depends on the game play.

Camping is teh kewl
    what about in some forms of game is camping not best way to play say when u are defending a hq (there is no point in running to the other end of map) what about sabotage when you kill the person on the other team with the bomb, should you not get a good spot to cover it to kill enemy. what i don't like and don't play is free for all (its nearly always shipment) spawn die spawn die as someone is covering the spawn point only hope u have is martyrdom and blow them up with the grenade

so to me it depends on the game play.

It definitely depends on the type of game you play but...

The shipment map doesn't appear in Free-for-all, unless it's a privately hosted game!! :confused: I play FFA all the time and love it. The only time I camp in FFA games is when I'm a sniper and even at that, everytime I get one or two kills I move to a new point to avoid getting pinpointed and taken out.

Spawn point camping is defintely the worst type of camping, I'd never do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I have to say that the quality of the multiplayer maps in COD4 is sublime. There's very, very few places that I've been in and / or seen that could be long-term camping locations. Even when you're in a pretty good hiding spot, there's always a blind spot or somewhere you can't reach or a podium blocking shots to a certain path.

So, I think it's great to hide up in a window for a short while and get a few kills if you can. But then you have to move on. You'll be found out soon enough (especially with the Kill-Cam), so it really doesn't leave much space for campers.

I've been playing a lot recently and I've never once had to complain about campers. Sure, I've been sniped twice, maybe even three times in a row by the same guy, but that's the most.

I think the map designers have done a great job in drastically cutting down on camping in this version. I know the Rooster Teeth adage of "It's a legitimate strategy!" is a p*sstake, but when traditional camping is replaced with 'ambushing, but forced to move on shortly after' it actually *does* become a legitimate strategy in my eyes! :)

Maybe I'm just lucky, but have many other people really had a problem with camping in this version of the game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

Camping is teh kewl
    I go out of my way to ruin campers experience... my score be dammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Camping is teh kewl
    Unless your
    1.Sniping
    2.Defending the HQ or on S&D defending
    then camping is ok

Any other time its for complete noobs devoid of skill tbh

*High Five* to Exneigh, im the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Camping is teh kewl
    seems to be coming up alot but i dont camp but if someone is sniping well then so be it and again if someon is just not that good at the game and they camp to at a few kills so be it (as long as they are not spawn killing) but thats not to say it doesnt bother me when i get killed by a camper a couple of times in a game but i get over it when i actually do kill them (for some reason i get more satisfaction from killing campers than someone else)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ade Alves

Camping is teh ghey
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Unless your
    1.Sniping
    2.Defending the HQ or on S&D defending
    then camping is ok

Any other time its for complete noobs devoid of skill tbh

*High Five* to Exneigh, im the same :D

Totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i hate campers, sniping on the other hand is different, when i have the 50.cal i like using it, and spawn killers well they dont even diserve to be on xbox live

yeah but back to the original point campers arnt even able to play properly thats why they just hang around doing nothing and drying your patience

but as already mentioned defending a HQ or defending on search & destroy its acceptable enough to hide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Camping is teh kewl
    I thought camping was bad on the Xbox 360 version but there's some real muppets who play on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I never camp
    What's most satisfying in on Backlot, when you see an enemy climbing the ladder on the outside of the central building on the map-on their way to camp down, only to be met by a sniper shot to the head. I love it.

I used to camp a lot with my sniper on that level to be honest. It's forgivable when you're a noob, I'd imagine, but it amazed me how many people don't take out campers! I called in three copters by returning to the same small gap in the building and firing down at Domination flag B.

Bog has to be theworst for it though. Those two bushed either side of the wall can be blindly fired at and produce a kill nine times out of ten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Some of the challenges lend themselves to camping as you have to just get kills any way that you can with weapons that do not suit your playing style.

That being said there are some maps (bog) where the air and grenade spam is so much that movement only leads to insta death.

I much prefer stalking a camper to getting repeatedly spawn killed by air and grenades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Camping is teh kewl
    Camping annoy's me when it's a guy with a 30+ level,who could be out there fighting prop but instead takes the b*tch way out!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Camping is teh kewl
    Generally, if I'm sniping then I'll move to a spot with a good view, get a few kills and move on before those I killed have a chance to get down and find me there.

I absolutely loathe people who just sit in the same spot all game, they're good for a few kills if you're on the opposing team but if you're on the same team as them, they're more or less worthless to the team as a whole.

I've found that on the PSN the game is getting overrun by these guys sitting in the same spots all game, be it on my team or opposing, almost regardless of the level. Quite annoying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Camping is teh kewl
    I think there has to be a distinction between sniping and camping...

Snipers will pick a cosy spot out of the way where they can snuggle up with a flask of tea and wait for 3 days for their target. They will take their shot and move to another similar spot - remaining out of sight all the time.

Campers find the spot with the biggest kill-zone (usually a spawn point), stay there until they're killed and shoot everything that moves as quickly as they can. They also have 1 inch penises.

What really annoys me about the game is the fixed respawn points. A whole load of ****e can be taken out from the game by having random location respawn points.

Incidently, I'm not a fan of sniping personally, not my style of game play, but I admire it when it's done properly as there's a definite element of skill.

• Advertisement

Camping is teh kewl
    Kharn wrote: »
    What really annoys me about the game is the fixed respawn points. A whole load of ****e can be taken out from the game by having random location respawn points.

Yeah fully agree with this. There's even videos on Youtube showing people how to find camping spots at these points. However, if I find there's people doing it, I usually just insta-quit the game and find another.
    Kharn wrote:
    Incidently, I'm not a fan of sniping personally, not my style of game play, but I admire it when it's done properly as there's a definite element of skill.

Yeah I've seen some really good snipers on COD4, and then there's hundreds, if not thousands of newer players who are just horrific at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I never camp
    Agree. Nothing worse than dying from someone unloading a full round of dragunov bullets into you! But when you see someone follow you and pick you off with one headshot, you have to feel outplayed!

I was once shot whilst sprinting with the extra-distance-running perk (can't remmeber what it's called) by a sniper who followed me from near the start of my run until just before I got behind cover. It was an amazing shot, I weaved and ducked and everything, he timed it perfectly and got me.
    Bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

Camping is teh kewl
    I think most of the hostility comes from cunterstrike. Waiting to respawn while watching two potatoes on the other side of the map crouching behind boxes hoping the other will wander by, makes me want to punch kittens.

Camping is teh kewl
    Is it just me or does there seem to be more and more campers per game by the day on PSN?

Not seeing half as many maximum scores reached lately thanks to the amount of these pricks sitting behind a door and getting 4 kills per game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Camping is teh ghey
    I see campers as a chance to practice my nade throwing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

No option to pick "i do sometimes" ? :D

I dont mind campers, Spawn-killer is the enemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

Camping is teh kewl
    Spawn killing only happens due to crap teamates camping in one spot and not making an effort to move/flank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I got accused of camping on a fixed position MG.
    I was also called an "MG Noob".

Morons.

Personally, if I'm a sniper, I'll find a good position and try to take people out, but not "behind a door" or some such - that is gay. Otherwise, and normally I peg it about and try to flank the opp team.

Personally though, I think the "Owned" & "Noob" brigade at the worst. I really hate them geeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

A good sniper will never camp

......I'm sure good snipers will agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Good point actually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement