Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I drive an 18ft long van?

Options
  • 04-04-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

I am renting a van today and by my calculations is is 18ft long.

A ford transit LWB.

Any tips or advice on driving something that long??

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Take your time. Be careful to leave enough room when making sharp left or right turns. Try to avoid reversing. And most importantly - make sure you pay extra for FULL CDW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Make sure your side mirrors are correctly set up and make good use of them, especially going round tight corners and filtering in and out of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Make sure you have a C class licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Make sure you have a C class licence

have been told by europacar that a class B is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

As above, set up your mirrors correctly and make full use of them.
    Allow yourself plenty of clearance when turning corners.
    If you've to reverse, get a mate to help you.
    Make sure you load the van properly; don't just bung everything in. Try and stack everything in that allows for as little movement as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Drive it like BA in the A-Team!...

In 2008 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the boards.ie underground. Today still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The SLUMPED Team.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Drive it like BA in the A-Team!...

In 2008 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the boards.ie underground. Today still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The SLUMPED Team.

that's the best idea yet.

I could plough through the cones on the M50, drive in the Emergency lane at 100 kmh and break through the barriers on the toll bridge before turning violently and blocking three lanes of traffic with my 18ft monster!

Cool....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

I rented similar twice and was not used to driving something that long. One serious problem for me - the rear near side wheel mounted the kerb once when I turned left , luckily no pedestrians about at the time. No problems after that after I stopped trying to drive it like a car, slowed down at turns and allowed for greater turning circle. Luckily whenever I had to reverse, there was plenty of space. I found the engine to be very noisy especially after driving for 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Tailgate cars that would pi55 all over your Transit just because you have "all that torrrrrque bud"...

Swerve from lanes without any condiseration for anyone else...

Don't indicate....

Stop dead in traffic and put your hazards on cause 'you are making a delivery'...

Drive like any other van driver.

(I am only joking but you know it's true). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

slumped wrote: »
    that's the best idea yet.

I could plough through the cones on the M50, drive in the Emergency lane at 100 kmh and break through the barriers on the toll bridge before turning violently and blocking three lanes of traffic with my 18ft monster!

Cool....

wow wow wow.....your completely forgetting about the mid-air flip. You have to jump the cones, do a 360 spin in the air and still manage to land on the wheels all while smoking a cigar.

Don't know where your going to get a chunky a-team looking cigar, guess a regular hamlet will have to do the job.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    Tailgate cars that would pi55 all over your Transit just because you have "all that torrrrrque bud"...

Swerve from lanes without any condiseration for anyone else...

Don't indicate....

Stop dead in traffic and put your hazards on cause 'you are making a delivery'...

Drive like any other van driver.

(I am only joking but you know it's true). :pac:

I bet I can do all this before leaving the Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

thats the spirit! theres a little white-van-man in all of us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I am renting a van today and by my calculations is is 18ft long.

A ford transit LWB.

Any tips or advice on driving something that long??

S

An executive car would be about 16 ft and im sure you would have no bother with that. You just need to be able to reverse in your mirrors. Vans have great mirrors usually so should be no problem.

Advertisement