Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated in my children

Options
  • 04-04-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As a child, i spoke very fast in an attempt to hide my stutter,
    i remember my parents telling me to "slow down".

One of my boys at home, (11) talks very fast as well, and i have found myself telllling him to "slow down". Now he doesent stutter, but is there a danger that he will?

any body got any thoughts.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I tend to talk very fast to hide my stammer and to get through blocks. My parents used to tell me to slow down when I was younger, I doubt this led to me stammering. Perhaps ask him why he speaks fast, he might be just an excited child. I wouldn't read too much into it. There's no harm in saying to him slow down and I can't see how he would develop a stammer by you saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Apparently children will mimic the pace of their parents speech. if your boy is talking too fast, telling him to 'slow down' will do absolutely no good (in my opinion), it will only make him think you disapprove of how he's talking - which you are. Thing to do is for you and his mother to slow down your rates of speech drastically when speaking to him, that's the only thing that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mountain

thanks for the tips,

i tried the slowing my own speech down, which seemed to calm his excitement a little, i will keep at it.

sometimes it is excitment, other times it is a rush to get the words out.

thanks

Advertisement