Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built PC won't start up

Options
  • 04-04-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just built my pc but as soon as i switch it on there is a constant loud whining noise and it wont start up. any suggestions. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

can you be a bit more specific? whats making the whining noise?...a fan?...the hdd?

jus ensure you have power going to everything -> cpu, motherboard, grafix card, hard drive(s), optical drive (s)

to troubleshoot a little, you can try turning youre pc on with just the ABSOLUTE essentials, then add on more componants bit by bit. the problem will reveal itself

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

hi got rid of whining noise it was graphics card thanks but it will not start up.here is nothing on screen it stays in idle mode. it dosent sound like even the hard drive is starting and i checked hard drive cable(ide) and it looks good. i also removed cmos battery for while and replaced it - nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Sounds like you might need a better psu. Whats the specs of the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

hi,
    this is my specs.

Zalman 850W ULTRA QUIET PSU

QuietPC SCYTHE Ninja-Plus Heatpipe

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz S775

OCZ Technology 2X2GBKIT REAPER 240PIN PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHZ

XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI TV 600/1.8

Antec 900 gamer case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

PSU is definitely OK power wise.
    It is more than likely a loose cable or something not seated properly.
    It sounds like graphics card is not in properly.
    Try all the usuals;
    Reseating RAM in different combinations and amounts.
    Check and double check all cables.

If all that don't work you can try putting in spare parts to eliminate/isolate the problem. Eg. Get a loan of some parts from a friend and swap with yours, one at a time, to see where the problem lies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement