Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking teenager

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

luckat wrote: »
    I've just noticed that the excellent book The Power of Positive Parenting by Dr Glenn I Latham has a chapter on substance abuse, which includes lots of material on smoking.

(Unfortunately, this book isn't available in Dublin City Libraries; however, you can buy it on Amazon, and it's a very handy book for parents.)
    If you're a member of your local library, you can order it via borrowbooks.ie inter-library loan. It seems like Cork Co Co is the only library nationwide that stocks it, and you'll be behind me in the ordering queue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

This is one of the terrible points at which you have to balance your child's health against something you enjoy yourself, I think. It's so tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Both my parents smoke so I started when I was 15/16 and still do (nearly 30).
    When they found out there was feck all they could say!

That said it is the one huge regret I have in my life.

Does this person have any interest in any sports? Something where his/her peers would not smoke?

Try to get them off them whatever way you can. They will thank you for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What we forget is how terribly addictive smoking is. It feeds sugar into your system, gumming up your arteries with cholesterol, and nicotine is a huge stimulant.

And because of the sugar, if you smoke you don't tend to want a sugar hit, but when you get free of the fags, you have a sudden mad desire for Coke and buns and sweets, and you get fat.

But because your arteries are already sluggified by thick globs of waxy white cholesterol, and your system has fallen back from the constant stimulation of nicotine, you don't feel like the exercise you really need.

Among the generation I've seen shedding cigarettes, the ones that succeeded easily were those who replaced smoking with an exercise regime, and really got into jogging or cycling and swimming, and changed their way of cooking, so they weren't getting the unconscious cue to smoke from a familiar type of meal that was followed by a smoking session.

One and all, they say "Eww, did I *smell* like that???" a couple of weeks into their freedom, when their noses suddenly clear and they can smell the disgusting stench of stale smoke and ash that hangs around smokers.

Advertisement