Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a utility room

Options
  • 04-04-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a porch type area out the back of my house. The side entrance comes to a garden door and then widens in to a square of 10' x 5' (where a kitchen / back door enters in to).

I would like to cover this area, put a door on the open side, to make a utility room. This utility room would be for a gas boiler and a washing machine / dryer.

So two sides of the four sides are my house, one side is a shared garden wall with the neighbour (which is usless to the neighbour as the gable end of his house is two inches inside the wall, two story so no chance for him to extend) and the other is open (which I hope to put a door on).

I want to have a slanted roof, wooden frame with perspex. I plan to support the roof on the party/garden wall side to a height of 7' (wall is currently 6') by putting some wooden supports on my side of wall for the extra foot.

Does this all sound doable from a planning / neighbourly point of view? Neighbours is rented so no point asking tenants and don't know landlord.

Also, does this structure sound sufficient for a gas installer to instal a boiler on one of the walls? Is there anything I can do about flooring, two steps down from house, don't plan to raise floor or anything. It's really just to have a utility room seperate to house as hate having boilers/washing machines/dryers in kitchen.

How much would you reckon for this?

Thanks!

Advertisement