Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory question!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If your goibg for an upgrade you will be best to make sure all the ram is the same. Mixing and matching can cause severe headaches !

Now to explain your ram issue....

Ddr2 5300... This means that its theoretical maximum bandwudth is 5300mb/s The same goes for ddr2 8500 which is 8533mb/s

But what your looking for is mhz. ddr2 5300 runs at 333mhz but because its double data rae it runs as 666. Ddr2 6400 runs at 400mhz so thats doubles to 800mhz.

Im probably not explaining myself well as my head is metled. So ill quote wiki
    Note: DDR2-xxx (or DDR-xxx) denotes data transfer rate, and describes raw DDR chips, whereas PC2-xxxx (or PC-xxxx) denotes theoretical bandwidth (though it is often rounded up or down), and is used to describe assembled DIMMs. Bandwidth is calculated by taking transfers per second and multiplying by eight. This is because DDR2 memory modules transfer data on a bus that is 64 data bits wide, and since a byte comprises 8 bits, this equates to 8 bytes of data per transfer.

1 Some manufacturers label their DDR2 sticks as PC2-4300 instead of PC2-4200, and PC2-5400 instead of PC2-5300. At least one manufacturer has reported this reflects successful testing at a faster-than standard speed,[2] whilst others simply use the alternate rounding as the name, as described above.

More info can be found here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Thanks for the advice Anti
    Thats staight forward enough (ish)
    Not too happy with my crucial memory tho so I don't want to buy another 2 sticks of it :mad:
    No memory out there thats famously compatible or unfussy about whats in the other two slots?
    I thought I only had to pair slots 1 & 3 and I could then put a different pair in slots 2 & 4
    The only drawback I thought there was, is that if I put a higher performance pair in, I may not get the most out of the high performance RAM cause of my original standard RAM ?
    Hope that makes sense.................any RAM experts out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

No memory out there thats famously compatible or unfussy about whats in the other two slots?
    I thought I only had to pair slots 1 & 3 and I could then put a different pair in slots 2 & 4

You can, but if you have different speeds of RAM in your PC it will run at the speed of the RAM with the lowest speed.
    RAM is very cheap these days. Sell your current RAM and buy 4 new sticks of the speed you want.

OK King nothing,
    Well, if thats the case...... DOH!
    Should have put more thought into buying better RAM than the ones I have, I'll probably get little or nothing on ebay seeing as new RAM is so cheap.
    Just to keep things going rather than start a new thread, can anyone reccommend the best RAM on memoryc.ie?
    The most expensive and higher end ones ddr2 are only €128
    small fries compared to graphics cards
    Is one of these lads my best bet?
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_G_Skill_DDR2_PC2_8500-5_5_5_15-PK_Series_Dual_Kit-8_layer_PCB_/index.html
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_Team_Xtreem_Dark_Series_DDR2_PC2_8500-5_5_5_15-Dual_Channel_kit/index.html

Any other suggestions for what could go into my BFG 680i sli mobo are welcome! Thanks for the help so far, appreciated. :)

Suggestions...........anyone??:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're not overclocking much, that stuff you already have - the crucial - is perfectly fine. It's ok for small overclocks too, but you might want to throw on some heatspreaders if you are.

Even if you are overclocking, pc8500 isn't really necessary - decent pc6400, i.e 800mhz - will hit those same speeds - 1066mhz - easily.

Looking casually on memoryc this looks like a good deal.

Would that OCZ memory be compatable then?
    Might just hang onto the memory I have, until DDR2 gets even cheaper!
    I have a cooler on my memory as it is, its just a set of 4 fans which clip on over the memory, designed for dominator memory, haven't tried overclocking of any component; except ntune and that was a disaster, if anybody is even considering using that useless software, don't!

Advertisement