Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Problem

• 04-04-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I have a problem on my home network and was wondering if anybody has a solution.

I have two machines both running Windows XP HOME SP2. One machine is connected wirelessly through a Wireless router and the other is wired to the wireless router.

MAIN ROUTER -> WIRELESS ROUTER -> COMPUTER A (WIRED) and
    COMPUTER B (WIRELESS)

^^^(I'm not sure if this matters)

Anyway the problem is that my file and printer sharing has stopped working. Both computers have the same WORKGROUP name and both have File and Printer Sharing enabled in network connections. I spent last night trying to fix the problem but I can't find a solution.

When I try to access workgroup in My network Places I get:

HOMENET is not accessible....
    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available,

Oh, and I can ping the Computer A from B but not vice versa?

I'm not really familiar with network configurations so I'm not going to spend another night of trial and error!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Made any changes to firewall rules on Computer A recently? if you disable all firewalls are you able to connect to it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes, I installed AVG 8 but I disabled the firewall on Computer A and that didn't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard in the control panel?

Zynks wrote: »
    Have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard in the control panel?
    Yes, loads of times.

Ok, I disabled all firewalls and everything worked a charm! So, does anyone know what I need to change in the firewall settings to allow file and printer sharing. I'm using AVG 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

alan4cult wrote: »
    Ok, I disabled all firewalls and everything worked a charm! So, does anyone know what I need to change in the firewall settings to allow file and printer sharing. I'm using AVG 8?
    258:
    Local network is not accessible after installing AVG Plus Firewall Edition

If you have installed the AVG Plus Firewall Edition, ran the Automatic configuration wizard and then, after the computer has restarted, your local network is not accessible, please check the following configuration:
    AVG Control Center->AVG Firewall->Configure->System tab->"Microsoft file sharing and printing"
    This application´s default setting is "Block" (for security reasons). If your local network is not accessible or you cannot print on network printers, please re-configure this option to "Allow" (choose "Microsoft file sharing and printing"->click on "Edit rule" button->click on "Edit rule" button)

The correct configuration of the Microsoft file sharing and printing service is very important for your computer's security. Because of this, we recommend that you carefully consider its configuration. We also recommend that you only allow the Microsoft file sharing and printing service for IP addresses of computers that must use this service with your computer, or only for your local network. You can set up your local network in the AVG Firewall configuration as:

* range of secure IP addresses connected to your local network
    * IP address/Mask
    * one IP address

Advertisement