Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on w880i not using my Three data allowance

• 04-04-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I finally flashed my w880i with Three's software.
    Now I can use the service properly BUT - I can't download skype from planet 3, it says my handset isn't supported.

So I downloaded the iSkoot client from getjar.com and it works fine. However! It isn't using my data connection, it's dialling 076 6021012 and I hear the usual 'Connecting your call. Please wait.' that I got when I used Skype on the skypephone I bought from Three.

Does anyone know how I can make it use my data connection - especially if you know how to make it work without affecting my data allowance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Is Skype supposed to be supported on that model? If so I think your best bet is to find someone else with that mdel on 3 and get them to give you the download URL so you can grab the 3 installtion file. I would be more concerned about iSkoot dialing out and using your credit than using your data allowance.

The subject of maybe adjusting iSkoot to dial the 3 number came up before. At the time I was wondering if there is a simple config file stored on the phone that stores which number the application calls. Might be possible to update that if you can find the file - anyone got any good ideas about how to locate that file or where we could even look?

I found the iSkoot clkient signed in much more reliably than the 3 one and iSkoot also has the advantage of being able to do text chats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No...well Three don't support it.
    I don't understand why iSkoot needs to dial out - is there another skype client that'll just use a data client?

btw the Three version of iSkoot already supports text chat.

Check if fring will support your model - voice calling can be iffy though as latency on 3G connections is high.

eth0_ wrote: »

btw the Three version of iSkoot already supports text chat.

Just grabbed a version a few days ago for my N95 and it doesn't have text support though I have heard that there is an updated version out there that does - anyone got the sis file?

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Just grabbed a version a few days ago for my N95 and it doesn't have text support though I have heard that there is an updated version out there that does - anyone got the sis file?

Oh, i've only used it on my skype phone and that one has text chat.
    Bluefrog wrote: »
    Check if fring will support your model - voice calling can be iffy though as latency on 3G connections is high.

It doesn't :-/

If anyone has a Three phone that they support skype on, could you upload the client somewhere? Apparently the K530i version will work on my w880i

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

I can't download the Skype/iSkoot client from My3 on a SE W910i (getting "Operation failed"), and the K530i client won't load on that phone.

Could someone with a W910i on 3 download the client and post the jad and jar files somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

3's skype client on my phone dials out a 083 number. no text support. I use fring now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

3's skype client on my phone dials out a 083 number. no text support. I use fring now.
    +1.
    Tried iSkoot and 3's Skype offering, fring works way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ptashek

tallus wrote: »
    +1.
    Tried iSkoot and 3's Skype offering, fring works way better.

Maybe it does, but with 3's Skype client (or rather number) you get 4000 Skype-Skype minutes a month, free (OK, you have to top-up by at least €10 every 30 days). Way more than I need.

The stupid thing they do is BLOCKING downloads of their client from "My 3" if accessed from a handset not running a Hutchison customized firmware. I had to debrand my phone in order to get T9 in my language - Skype won't download anymore. Tsk...!

So, anyone with a Sony Ericsson W910i, or any of the D3135 (A2) platform phones, on 3... please upload those Skype files somewhere and save a soul ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jordanwarez

here you go skype-on-3 from a '3' w910
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/l9nn06

but can somebody help me to get skype working on p1i

Advertisement