Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possibly Buying Car Tomorrow in N.Ireland

Options
  • 04-04-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Title says it all.
    Now what do i need to take with me? The following is what im sure i need. Have i forgotten anything?

1) Headed Business Paper (Expect to be buying VAT Free). Paying Full price and then getting the VAT reclaimed from UK Revenue. Does the Dealer or myself do that?
    2) Driving Licence
    3) Funds :)
    4) Do HPI check
    5) Examine car from top to toe :)

What should the dealer Give me?

Thanks all in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

At least a 6 month warrenty, they always tell you thier second hand cars, especialy ones that are a few years old only come with a 3 month warrenty but will nearly always give you a 6 month warrenty when argued. argue this after a price has been agreed:)
    newer cars should come with 12 months or more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Altreab wrote: »
    Hi all
    Title says it all.
    Now what do i need to take with me? The following is what im sure i need. Have i forgotten anything?

1) Headed Business Paper (Expect to be buying VAT Free). Paying Full price and then getting the VAT reclaimed from UK Revenue. Does the Dealer or myself do that?
    2) Driving Licence
    3) Funds :)
    4) Do HPI check
    5) Examine car from top to toe :)

What should the dealer Give me?

Thanks all in advance

Only thing id say, is if your gonna buy from a dealer, they wont accept all cash due to anti-fraud laws, so have cheque book or credit card with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Only thing id say, is if your gonna buy from a dealer, they wont accept all cash due to anti-fraud laws, so have cheque book or credit card with you.

They have informed me that they accept Laser/Maestro cards so that makes it a lot easier.

At least a 6 month warrenty, they always tell you thier second hand cars, especialy ones that are a few years old only come with a 3 month warrenty but will nearly always give you a 6 month warrenty when argued. argue this after a price has been agreed:)
    newer cars should come with 12 months or more

Car is just a year old and has more than the required 6000 miles/Kms on the clock.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

As far as I know:

If you're VAT registered in the RoI and not VAT registered in the UK and if the dealer is VAT registered in the UK and not VAT registered in Ireland the transaction should be zero-rated from the start. No claiming back should be necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Car is just a year old and has more than the required 6000 miles/Kms on the clock.

Well then you should be covered in manufacturers warrenty for another two years, just make sure tho, what make an model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Why do you expect to buy vat free?

Is it a commercial vehicle or a vat qualifying car?

Churchy wrote: »
    Why do you expect to buy vat free?

Is it a commercial vehicle or a vat qualifying car?

Octavia vRS :) and it is VAT qualifying :) ...right i need to sleep tonight. Long day ahead.

Advertisement