Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions for Cabinet reshuffle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

nhughes100 wrote: »

What a gaff by that dope Conor Lenihan at the weekend.
    What gaffe was that? I was away last week, so didn't see what he said.

Mind you he does seem to have a habit of spectacular gaffes. The two that most come to mind are the Kebabs remark and him falling asleep while waiting to do an interview with RTE when all of FF were having their piss up or "think in" at the Slieve Russell in Cavan a couple of years ago. You could hear him snoring when he fell asleep waiting for the interview. I don't think it was broadcast on RTE but a recording made it's way to Newstalk and they ran it. Strangley enough, he sounded a bit the worse for wear when he did actually conduct the interview.

I don't think many politicians would go near any interview on a national station while pissed. Still at least he should get in the headlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Eh what new minister for Enterprise and Employment? I believe there has been no reshuffle as of time of posting? You'd want to take off them FF tinted glasses where FF members can be seen doing no wrong.
    There may be within the hour, and anybody with a drop of sense could see that he meant when/if a new minister was appointed at that department if it continues to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Word has it Dermot Ahern is the Minister for Beancounting.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cullen survives!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

:eek:

• Advertisement

I'm thinking Mary Coughlan as Tanaiste and Brian Lenihan for Finance

Brendan Smith and Batt O Keeffe are now in the cabinet

while
    Pat Carey is the chief whip :)

Batt O Keeffe - Education
    Brendan Smith - Agriculture
    Mary Hanafin - Social & Family Affairs - could be an an interesting change for Hanafin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

great news for the kids!

O'keeffe can't be much worse at least

• Advertisement

noticed that Harney is still there......any chance of a move sideways for her? For her faults she is intelligent and wasn't bad before the health ministry

Mary Coughlan - Tanaiste & Enterprise & Employment

Brian Lenihan - Finance
    Noel Dempsey - Transport
    Dermot Ahern - Justice
    Martin Cullen - Arts, Sport & Tourism

lenihan is finance
    and harney stays!

thats big news I'd say for Brian Lenihan. Big task for him now, wonder how much of an input Cowen will try to have on matters there. Like I've said I like him so I'd be happy with him there, out of the possibilities he's a good choice

Dempsey, O'Cuiv & O'Dea are staying the same

I thought that Lenihan was working well in the Justice portfolio being honest, shame about that move ... but when considering everyone else and their experience to date, he was the only one i would feel confidentabout in the Finance portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ninty9er wrote:
    Eh what new minister for Enterprise and Employment? I believe there has been no reshuffle as of time of posting? You'd want to take off them FF tinted glasses where FF members can be seen doing no wrong.
    There may be within the hour, and anybody with a drop of sense could see that he meant when/if a new minister was appointed at that department if it continues to exist.

Yes...yes indeed there is. I believe Conor Lenihan will be directing that conversation at Mary Coughlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Dublin south suddenly has just 1 minister from 3:eek: Mary coughlan has done very well thats a good appointment, Cullen stays must say im dissapointed he is the weak link.

Micheal Martin - Foreign Affairs

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I thought that Lenihan was working well in the Justice portfolio being honest, shame about that move ... but when considering everyone else and their experience to date, he was the only one i would feel confidentabout in the Finance portfolio

certainly wasn't too bad alright, at least he was appearing to get things done as opposed to posturing and posing like a certain predecessor. Some tough decisions to be made in finance, public pay being only one. Hopefully he'll have the stones for it

• Advertisement

certainly wasn't too bad alright, at least he was appearing to get things done as opposed to posturing and posing like a certain predecessor. Some tough decisions to be made in finance, public pay being only one. Hopefully he'll have the stones for it

he certainly appeared to be pro-active and tough enough to make the big decisions and stand by them ... somehow don't see Dermot Ahern doing the same

Cowen certainly kept his cards close to his chest and their were refreshing changes today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

great news for the kids!

O'keeffe can't be much worse at least

hopefully - bye bye Mary - don't let the door hit you on the @rse on the way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Couple of surprises in the reshuffle none more so than Mary Coughlan being made Tanaiste. On a personal note I'm glad to see my local TD Pat Carey getting promoted to Chief Whip. He's a very hard worker and deserves it.

from www.RTE.ie

Mary Coughlan becomes Tánaiste, while also taking the portfolio of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

AdvertisementBrian Lenihan is the new Minister for Finance, while Batt O'Keefe becomes Minister for Education, taking Mary Hanafin's portfolio. She moves to Social and Family Affairs.

Pat Carey becomes Chief Whip, a move which sees Tom Kitt return to the back benches.

The new Minister for Justice is Dermot Ahern, while his position in Foreign Affairs is taken by Micheál Martin.

Martin Cullen is Minister for Arts Sport and Tourism and Brendan Smith takes Mary Coughlan's position in Agriculture and Food.

Mary Harney retains her position as Minister for Health as does Willie O'Dea, who stays with Defence. John Gormley and Eamon Ryan see no change, remaining in Environment, and Communications Energy and Natural Resources, respectively.

Noel Dempsey, in Transport, and Eamon Ó Cuív, in Community Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, also stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Dermot Ahern?...what would he be like for Justice? would he have the same profile as McDowell or Lenihan?

I have a case with the Minister of Justice and hoping that this reshuffle might come to my advantage..!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So Cowen just shuffled the deck of worn cards a bit and we still get a joker, Cullen in the pack, but more of the same. There must be a serious lack of talent in the FF party that there is no new face in the new cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The hottest TD in the Dail is Tanaiste and Mary Hanifan is demoted.

A national day of celebration is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lenihan's not a wet day in Justice, bit surprised to see him get promoted already. Good for him though, I've always liked him, and he's a potential future Taoiseach (irrespective of the fact that he's in Finance now!).

I'm quite surprised to see Hanafin get demoted, thought she was a favourite in FF. She musta done something to take the jam out of Brian Cowen's doughnut!

Also surprised to see Mary Coughlan become Tánaiste. Definitely thought it would be Micheal Martin or Brian Lenihan tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

turgon wrote: »
    The hottest TD in the Dail is Tanaiste and Mary Hanifan is demoted.

A national day of celebration is in order.

Harney is still there though, one piece or two out of the whole birthday cake.

What would your reaction be if Martin had stayed in the race and won?

Advertisement