Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT,Log Book, DLVA Importing and Finance

Options
  • 04-04-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    If any has read my earlier posts im looking at importing an audi tt coupe 1.8 2005 at the moment from the uk. I went over yesterday to view and make sure i am happy with it. Got to test drive very happy.and want to go ahead with the purchase i was asking about the log book he said he HAS to send the log book to dlva otherwise i am not taxed to drive in the uk and could be possbly get arrested he can give me a copy of the log book sections but does need to send to dlva. I have read conflicting post here where some people say that they do not need to send the log book to dlva others say they do. Where does the tax come in i would thought it be like the irish system either the car is taxed or its not?? i dont want a situation where i get arrested in the uk or the other side of the coin arrive in ireland and can not vrt and insure it properly and it is sitting out insured while i wait for the dlva to get back to me??
    Next Question i am buying from an official audi dealer its under the approved used car which gives me a guarantee for a year. The dealer reckons this is a world wide approved car program so if i have issues i could bring the car into audi dublin center n get service free etc..I have tried contacting a few audi official dealers in dublin but im not getting any sort of answers none have said yes or no. There basically uninterested (you cant blame not getting a sale etc) just saying i will look into. Does anyone know if this guarantee is worldwide ??
    Next thing up is finance. I went to my bank of ireland to day told them what i was doing cash is not really an option as the sterling will take 2 weeks to order the amount. The dealer was saying that he takes debit cards but he is unsure whether his sytem will accept a boi laser card and boi are unsure aswell. Anyone used a laser over in the uk to purchase are they commonly accepted or uncommon?? Anyone got good suggestions for payment. I am looking for something that can ideally be done on the day??

Any help be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Well on the V5 front you need to take all of the V5 minus the permanent export section. The garage takes the export section and sends that off to the dvla in Swansea and the car is removed from their system.
    If you dont get the full V5 you will be waiting about 6-8 weeks for it to come back from Swansea. You cant vrt the car without the full V5.
    Tell the garage your not buying unless they give you the full V5, tell them you don't want road tax as your just driving straight to the ferry and won't be back.

As for the guarantee, I bought a focus which came with a UK 3 year guarantee, Irish ones only came with 2 years but ford had to honor it as it's Europe wide.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Your laser should work in the UK but they call it Maestro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Eoghan25 wrote: »
    Hi,
    If any has read my earlier posts im looking at importing an audi tt coupe 1.8 2005 at the moment from the uk. I went over yesterday to view and make sure i am happy with it. Got to test drive very happy.and want to go ahead with the purchase i was asking about the log book he said he HAS to send the log book to dlva otherwise i am not taxed to drive in the uk and could be possbly get arrested he can give me a copy of the log book sections but does need to send to dlva. I have read conflicting post here where some people say that they do not need to send the log book to dlva others say they do.

The seller is completely wrong. See this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022582 where is states quite clearly:

If you have a registration certificate (V5C) then you must notify export on the purple section (V5C/4). You must take your registration certificate with you as you may have to hand it over to the relevant authority when the vehicle is registered abroad.
    Where does the tax come in i would thought it be like the irish system either the car is taxed or its not?? i dont want a situation where i get arrested in the uk or the other side of the coin arrive in ireland and can not vrt and insure it properly and it is sitting out insured while i wait for the dlva to get back to me??
    tbh, this is nonsense, you do not get arrested for tax.
    Next Question i am buying from an official audi dealer its under the approved used car which gives me a guarantee for a year. The dealer reckons this is a world wide approved car program so if i have issues i could bring the car into audi dublin center n get service free etc.......I have tried contacting a few audi official dealers in dublin but im not getting any sort of answers none have said yes or no. There basically uninterested (you cant blame not getting a sale etc) just saying i will look into. Does anyone know if this guarantee is worldwide ??.
    What he reckons it is ? This means he doesn't know. This also means anything he says is, tbh, valueless. The car does not have an Audi warranty, I'd wager. - it has a dealer warranty. Audi UK's warranty does not extend outside GB. I know, I've imported a TT myself. Ask him who is underwriting the warranty. If he says Warranty Direct, or similar, ask him for the approx £400 off the price, as he won't have to register it with them, and you won't be claiming on it, either. Warranty Direct won't cover cars exported from GB.
    Next thing up is finance. I went to my bank of ireland to day told them what i was doing cash is not really an option as the sterling will take 2 weeks to order the amount. The dealer was saying that he takes debit cards but he is unsure whether his sytem will accept a boi laser card and boi are unsure aswell. Anyone used a laser over in the uk to purchase are they commonly accepted or uncommon?? Anyone got good suggestions for payment. I am looking for something that can ideally be done on the day??

Any help be much appreciated
    No, laser card limit won't pay for a car in any case, so scratch that idea.......what you do is get a proper invoice (reduced, right ;)), faxed or emailed to you. Go to your Bank and get a Sterling Draft. Then, scan it, and email it to him at least 3 days before you travel, giving the name & address of the issuing bank, and get him to pre-clear it - either through his own bank, or by calling yours. Get a name from your Bank and tell them to give the info required to (your seller) - otherwise they won't, under Data Protection rules. Make sure your bank contact has your details for the process.

On the day, hand over draft, GET THE V5C, and leave the export portion of the V5C with him...........do NOT accept anything less.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Exactly as galwattt says.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Your laser should work in the UK but they call it Maestro.

No it won't work. It will work in ATMs but it categorically will not work in payment terminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

thanx galwaytt that info is vey helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

testicle wrote: »
    No it won't work. It will work in ATMs but it categorically will not work in payment terminals.

We used the missus laser card in the north. Sainsburys dont accept it but a lot of others do.

Either way, theres a transaction limit of about €1500 on laser so not practical for buying a car really.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

I had a UK warranty transferred to an Irish dealer with my last car.

Most dealers will accept a bank draft on the day as long as its during office hours so they can verify it.

Re the V5.
    When I bought the car the dealer had already sent the V5 to Swansea before I arrived. It arrived in the post from the DVLA 10 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

galwaytt wrote:
    tbh, this is nonsense, you do not get arrested for tax.

Agreed, but you can be fined if driving in the UK with not tax-aren't there reports of this here on Boards?
    galwaytt wrote: »
    On the day, hand over draft, GET THE V5C, and leave the export portion of the V5C with him...........do NOT accept anything less.

Say the seller does not keep the permanent export section-and you hand it over with the rest of the V5C at the VRO-are the DVLA notified of the transaction by the Irish authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

With regard to the warranty, I brougth an Audi in from the UK and the 3 year warranty does apply. If something goes under warranty then you will have to pay for the work in an Irish garage and then claim this back from Audi UK - I did theis when the EGR valve went on my A6 wiht no problems.

Alternatively you could just take the car up to Isaac Agnew in Belfast who will do it for free under the UK warranty - i have used them once or twice and found them to be excellent.

As stated before here, take the full V5 with you and let the dealer send off the export slip only!

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Agreed, but you can be fined if driving in the UK with not tax-aren't there reports of this here on Boards?
    possibly, yes. But it should be possible to explain if you're on the way to the ferry that this is a one-time trip.
    Say the seller does not keep the permanent export section-and you hand it over with the rest of the V5C at the VRO-are the DVLA notified of the transaction by the Irish authorities?
    Yes, the collected V5C's are returned to DVLA by Revenue here so that DVLA can cancel those cars off their system, so no need to worry there.

Re: warranty - indeed a mfr's warranty is good here, but an 05 car is now almost at the end of that, if not already past it, depending on month of reg, so the OP needs to clarify the warranty that he's getting - is it the dealer, a warranty co, or...........??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

My Dutch Maestro card and Irish Laser card work absolutely fine in the UK at pay points and ATM's, Doesn't work online though.

Limit is 1000 euro per day on transactions.

You could put a Visa card in credit and use that, you would need to inform the Issuer though prior to the transaction, otherwise they might block the transaction since its quite a large amount.

craichoe wrote: »
    You could put a Visa card in credit and use that, you would need to inform the Issuer though prior to the transaction, otherwise they might block the transaction since its quite a large amount.

The credit isn't the problem - the garage won't accept payment for a car on a credit card, because of merchant's fees - approx 2.5%. That's another 550 they'd lose on the car, so they won't do that.............

Ode To The Motorist

Yes, the collected V5C's are returned to DVLA by Revenue here so that DVLA can cancel those cars off their system, so no need to worry there.

Cheers-good to know.

The credit isn't the problem - the garage won't accept payment for a car on a credit card, because of merchant's fees - approx 2.5%. That's another 550 they'd lose on the car, so they won't do that.............

Won't disagree, but worth pointing out that paying a deposit of a few hundred pounds is possible using CC (or was in any garage I visited).

Bank draft with proof (scanned copy in advance and contact details of the issuer) is the way to go.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Won't disagree, but worth pointing out that paying a deposit of a few hundred pounds is possible using CC (or was in any garage I visited).

Bank draft with proof (scanned copy in advance and contact details of the issuer) is the way to go.

no, deposits are fine - I thought you meant paying for the whole thing.

Ode To The Motorist

rang audi today in regard to used car guarantee does not apply to ireland they have no connection agreement with irish audi dealers...they are working on it at the moment as accordingly it is losing them alot of sales from the irish market...i asked about if i took the car up north if i did have an issue could i get serviced was told no..if the car is resident outside the uk the guarantee does not apply at all...Also the seller seems to be getting fed up he didnt even respond to my last email possibly he has made a sale on it and has not updated the website....but i got the feeling the last time i was talking to him he was just getting fed up of the messiness of it i.e working out between us how we were going get payment the fact i want the v5 and me contradicting the audi guarantee and asking him to investigae, has anyone experienced this relucant seller in the uk because of the fact it would not be the 'norm' sort of straight forward sell for them???? Its fairly bad form anyway considering i treked over to view etc but what can you do .....

Why don't you just buy from someone who knows the score, i.e. a garage or a dealer?

I had no problem

(a) getting the entire V5C; and
    (b) paying by Ulster Bank/RBS draft

My friend recently bought a TT privately in the UK less than 2 weeks ago and the seller wouldn't hand over the necessary sections of the V5C-just the export section. Must be a thing with TT owners.....

Or just e-mail the seller and tell them 'take it or leave it'

this fella is an official audi dealer i would expected a bit more knowledge off him ive basically sent an email tonight just saying to him look it since ive no guarantee i want independent check done i can have it organised within 3 days if it is satisfactory i will swift pay 1000 deposit on friday and for payment we can pre clear a bank draft i told him id give him a name in my branch n have preorganised. Also said about the fact he has not got to go to the underwriters etc for guarantee i should get a bit off i have offered him 600 less than quoted he told me the price was slightly negotiable the fact his saving 400 i think another 200 off is fair enoughl. So i should have my answer tomorrow if its no go ill go elsewhere.

Advertisement