Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving up and need some advice...

• 04-04-2008 8:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

My son was in hospital for an op a few weeks ago and his anesthesiologist was asking if anyone was a smoker etc etc as family history. I told him I was and he was asking if I ever tried to give up. I told him I tried for the last 9 odd years, done everything and nothing worked so he told me about Champix.
    He wrote me out a prescription for it so I am hoping that when I have a bit of cash next week I will get the prescription filled.
    I really want to give up the smokes but have always failed. I now am playing footie a good bit and I will be using the Gym in work when it opens in the next 2 weeks so hopefully that will help keep my mind off smokes.

Out of all you guys and girls the main question I want to know is what are the side effects of the Champix pills etc and can you just stop smoking straight away on them rather than smoke and take the pills??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I didnt take CHampix but I did take Zyban. I think they are the very same.

I think Zyban saved my life. I had to give up because of the strong cancer in my family. With zyban I had no side effects and giving up was brilliant. I had NO mood swings, no dizziness no side effects or withdrawals at all.

My neighbour took champix and she is off the smokes now too.

I'm off the nearly a year. My brother took zyban.. he's off them 1 1/2 yrs, my sister took zyban and she's off them a year too.

Go for it mate.
    Watch for the side effects (depression especially) and if you feel depressed just go straight to your doctor. other than that lad... go for it, quit smoking and enjoy it.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

My brother stopped using champix (off them since New Years day now) and he got quite sick for the first few weeks, and he got quite depressed. He's finished the course now, and off the smokes and he reckons it was worth going through.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Archeron wrote: »
    My brother stopped using champix (off them since New Years day now) and he got quite sick for the first few weeks, and he got quite depressed. He's finished the course now, and off the smokes and he reckons it was worth going through.
    Best of luck with it.

In what way was he sick? Im off them 15 months since tuesday! :cool: I wouldnt even go into detail of the crap i coughed up out of my lungs over the first three or so weeks. OP, go for it! Its such a sense of achievement to break the habit and be smoke free! Lovin every day of it (and esp the extra bit of cash!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thanks folks, I am deffo going to get them this week, won the sweeps in work with the grand national so thats about €100 extra.
    I'm wondering tho should I go cold turkey off the smokes as soon as I start on the tablets??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I am deffo going to get them this week, won the sweeps in work with the grand national so thats about €100 extra.
    I'm wondering tho should I go cold turkey off the smokes as soon as I start on the tablets??

Check with the person who prescribes them, but AFAIK, you're meant to smoke with them for the first week or so. No idea why, so best check with the doctor. Re the question above, the sickness he had was like a really sick stomach and bad headaches. They passed after a while though. Just have a chat with the doc and see what he says.
    I would say though that be it Champix, Hypnosis, cold turkey or even a cauliflower diet, go for it. Its so great to be smoke free. (coming on four years myself now).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I gave up cigarettes using Champix. I think you should follow the instructions from your doctor about how to take the tablets. There is a reason you take the tablets while still smoking initially - the drug needs to build up in your system to be effective.

Take the tablet with food and that will help avoid or at least reduce any upset stomach. The side effects I had dreaming more/upset stomach eased up after a couple of weeks.

Best of luck!

Advertisement