Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding faulty part in new build

Options
  • 04-04-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I put this lot together a couple of weeks ago and could not install windows i taught the motherboard was broken so RMAed it,I just got mailed by komplett.dk that it tested ok and they will send it back to me.
    So i have a faulty component somewhere and need some advice on locating it

The problem i had was..Just after windows XP PRO loaded all files rebooted and the screen comes up saying it will take 39mins to complete it would suddenly reboot again,give a message saying restarting installation fail again and repeat again and again.

I can see my CPU, RAM,GPU in the bios im using just the minium to get started (1 stick ram, old ps2 keyboard and mouse i have made the floppy for the sata driver and i am sure it is loading fine. I have also tested the RAM and hard drive,

I can test the Ram and hard drive again, is there a program i can use to test the CPU maybe a bootdisk type of thing? What about the power supply? i have an old seasonic 300watt i could try.
    the power and reset buttons are working on the case but if someone could tell me which wire is + and - I have always just put the writing(PWR) facing up on the board(i think,never gave it much tought before:o)

Im also sure the XP disc is fine i checked it on an old laptop

ANTEC NINE HUNDRED CASE
    CORSAIR 750watt POWER SUPLY
    GIGABYTEGA-P35-DS4 MOTHERBOARD
    Q6600 PROCESSOR
    Scythe Andy Samurai Master CPU COOLER
    SAMSUNG T166 500GB SATA HARD DRIVE
    SAMSUNGSATA DVD BURNER
    Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 2048MB CL4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

for testing without an OS use UBCD

Is the XP disc that you have SP2? Also, this is very important, is it a burned copy of XP?

Do you have access to another Windows OS disc that you can test.

I've a feeling this has something to do with SATA support in XP.

Your first step might be to download UBCD, and run DBAN on the disk, use the fastest wipe option. This will give you a fresh disk to work with. Also it might be an idea to download the latest SATA drivers for your board from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Yes its XP SP2 and yes its a burned copy as my original got scratched, but its not slipstreamed and its a copy from a friends recently bought(my own key code obviously) I'll check online for updated sata drivers both from gigabyte and intels web sites.I should have the board back early next week. I'll get UBCD and do do what you said.

Thanks for the help

D.

PS. i tried 3 different XP discs, one i slipstreamed with the sata drivers the other the other 2 burned copies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Have you tried updating the BIOS? Hardware abstraction Layer is coming to mind for some reason. What's the exact error message?

I will make sure the bios has the latest version,
    only once did i get a blue scren error though it was very vague(cant remember it now) but it did seem to say it was hardware related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

install windows on old 10gig ide drive, see if all devices show ok,on system hardware/device manager ,at least you dont need to load sata drivers,use 1stick ram,slot 0.use old pci or agp video card.run a live cd unix off cdrom drive ,maybe mobo needs 2 ram sticks,identical speed ,is it ddr1 or ddr2,make sure check mobo,memory specification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the reason I asked about the burned copy is that if its a cracked version of XP it is more than likely a cracked DELL OEM disc which is known to sometimes throw out compatibility issues as its trying to tell XP your system is a DELL when it isn't.

Also, when reinstalling XP don't choose the "quick format" option.

Actually... from having a quick look over your build again I know what your problem is. You need to use a PATA (IDE) DVD drive to install XP. XP really does not like SATA DVD drives.

EDIT: Why don't you just save yourself all this hassle and move to Vista? You are just going to run into more issues down the line with XP such as 4GB's of RAM support and no support for partitions larger than 2TB's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

Hi OP, this is a common problem with new builds. what u need to do is format your new HDD in another system. then reinstall your HDD in your new system and XP should now load ok.

2test mobo,format disk in fat32 from spare pc , load winxp ,install from a standard ide, dvdrom,or even a 4x cdrom drive.make sure cdrom xp is clean,no dust at all.
    forget about sata ,until winxp install ,mobo is tested to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭JMURPHY3

You could try another processor chip.........and see if that works for you:)

its easier to install xp on a formatted IDE hd,even if its 8gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 irishnewb

Have a look here, had the same issue with a copy of windows but stopped at 34 min
    Windows XP Setup Stops Responding During the "Collecting Information" Portion of Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822967&Product=winxp

Windows XP Setup Stops Responding (Hangs) During the "Preparing Installation" Phase
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315323&Product=winxp

Setup Stops Responding with 34 Minutes Remaining
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267&Product=winxp

Computer Stops Responding When You Install Windows XP on a Computer with an i815 Chip Set Motherboard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282195&Product=winxp

Setup Stops Responding or Displays an Unrecoverable Error Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811267&Product=winxp

Windows XP SP1 Installation Stops Responding with About 34 Minutes Remaining
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815319&Product=winxp

Windows XP Does Not Respond at "Setup Is Starting Windows XP" Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310760&Product=winxp

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308041&Product=winxp

I recieved my motherboard back with a clean bill of health and a copy of vista premium 64bit the other day and im still unable to install on either my sata or ide drive,I dont believe its my psu as i have an old seasonic 300watt i can start the pc with so i think it is either the ram or cpu. i ran memtest86 thru UBCD and the ram passed together and individually although in cpuZ on the UBCD the ram is only showing as 400mhz even when i raise the voltage to the ram in bios to its reccomended 2.2volts(everywhere ive googled says gigabyte boards are at 1.8 default)
    my CPU also only shows one core in cpuZ(is this normal)

if anyone has any settings for this board i can try please post them

I dont have any more ram or another cpu to try and would rather not buy any until i know what i need

some of the stop errors im getting
    0x0000000A
    0x0000009C
    0x000000124

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Hi,
    Have you tried using a different graphics card?

Im using a 6600gt i bought from a PC world type pace to get started while i was waiting for my EAH3870 TOP which just arrived so i'll give that a go, not to hopeful though.

tried my new graphic card with same resuts. windows vista loads files then just after the startup screen it BSOD with 0x0000009C MACHINE EXCEPTION ERROR. once i was able to get to the memory diagnostic on the vista disc and that found no errors. I aso got to the safe mode screen once and enabled boot logging hoping i could find out whats stoping it but cant get back into F8 screen(not sure if thats where it will show error logs)

if someone has UBCD and a Q6600 could you see how many cores cpuZ shows and also if your memory looks as it should,

the only BIOS settings i have played with are the DDR2 voltages,the SPD settings(my ram is rated 4-4-4-12 default in BIOS has it at 5-5-5-18)
    i have also tried changing the CPU multiplier below its 9x266 to 6x and 7x

Rgds D.

go to bios ,click restore to default/factory settings .

I have reset the bios many times while trying different configurations, i have also updated to the latest bios

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you tried building it outside of the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Ok first stop, lets get the stupid questions out of the way,

1) Did you use risers when placing the motheboard in the case and is your CPU cooler installed properly and securly with the right amount of thermal paste?(Pea sized amount spread out properly(you did remove the plastic from the base of the heatsink ect.)

2) Are all of the connections to your PSU secure? Try using a few different sockets if your using modular cables.

3) On your sata drives, take out the cables you have been using and put in different ones, same with IDE cables if your using any.

4) Make a boot disk with this program and run it for a few hours http://www.memtest86.com/ . This will test your RAM fully. It will crash and restart if there are any errors with the ram (my record is 4 seconds!!!) If you get a crash, try using one stick at a time, then try different ram slots for each stick.

5) Are all of your bios settings correct? Those ballistix sticks require 2.1 Volts as far as I know and your board might not be giving them enough. But double check everything and go through every setting on the BIOS to make sure they are correct.

6) Have you tried the hard drive out in another PC to make sure it doesnt have any problems or a tonne of bad sectors.

7) Fully format your HD on a different PC, stick it back in and then try install vista again.

If its still not working after all of that, pick up a cheap 775 processor and try that, you can sell it on afterwards (get the E2160 or alike you wont loose much from a resale)

And finally, just make sure that everything is nice and cool, and plenty of unrestricted airflow through the case but i figure you did that already!

I have it built outside the case,all connections are secure,I have also changed cables sata/ide.I have run memtest but not for a few hours so i will try that.
    I have tried increased ram voltage in bios to 2.2 which my ram is rated at
    I have also disabled everything i could in bios such as serial port and anything else i could see i dont need for setup.
    I have formatted both hard drives 1 sata and 1 ide thru an external enclosure on my laptop
    so i guess i'll have to buy another processor and ram to see whats up

Rgds D

• Advertisement

my advice disable,sata ,sata may not work cos of driver problem,ide shud work if drive fat432 ,unless theres a mobo,ram problem, unless psu is faulty.OR damaged.

I have ordered a motherboard ABIT IP35,a processor core2duo E4600, and 2 gigs kingston value ram(I plan on selling this on as a built PC with some other bits i have spare)

So i plan on installing XP on an 80gig Pata hard drive with these new parts then swopping the E4600 with my Q6600 as i think it must be the Quad thats dodgy (unless it is the GA-P35-DS4 which komplett have tested)

my question is is it ok to do this or is it best to install operating system fresh on a change of CPU?

Advertisement