Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Gaggia?

Options
  • 04-04-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been reading around a few threads here looking for what people use and I keep seeing people say "get a gaggia", "i'm happy with my gaggia", "if you want a good coffee then get gaggia", "gaggia is all that is holy about coffee making"....

What Gaggia? Is there a specific model that everyone is using or are Gaggias just generally amazing?

Personally, i'm looking into getting a good home cappuccino and espresso maker. Is there a Gaggia model that people would recommend for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I know a few posters on this forum (myself included) have the Classic. I'm very happy with it. Don't think you can pass it as far as value for money is concerned. There are other options too though. Do your research first. Hopefully a few more regulars will stick up their 2 cents too.

The best thing you can do is decide on your budget for this machine, and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Lets say around €300 for the budget. What features does the classic have that made you choose it over other brands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

Also, don't forget you need to include a grinder in your budget. No point buying a good machine without a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

like the noob of the week just said,a whole set of coffee machine will cost you more than a ps3!*thats me*:)

Gaggia normal range:coffee maker will be like at least 300,grinder 150 ,plus a base plate ,at least go to 500...ye i know ,crazy!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You people are crazy! Just drink tea! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

conzymaher wrote: »
    You people are crazy! Just drink tea! :D

Post reported.

Not really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

I have the gaggia evolution, its not as robust as the classic, but I find it excellent, its a bit cheaper and is a good entry point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

generally, gaggia is better than classic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Post reported.

IRYIIC.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    IRYIIC.

What? I can't find anything on what that stands for?

• Advertisement

An old P45.net-ism me thinks :)
    Back OT, whilst I've used several of Gaggia's old model range I've no hands on experience with the new line up.
    As most of the new range are only out around a year reviews are scarce.

It is worth mentioning Gaggia has a tradition of using the same internals
    on several models with just the exterior and styling changed.
    Might be worth checking coffeegeek.com
    toomuchcoffee.com
    Wholelattelove
    for current reviews and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

most definately get a classic or baby
    (or any model with a 3way solenoid)

a 3way solenoid valve is a must as far as i am concerned,
    it sucks the moisture back off the "puck"
    and makes clean up so much easier

machines without solenoids leave you with a wet mush
    in the portafilter, with a 3way they dry out
    and can be knocked out of the portafilter cleanly

it also allows you to backflush your machine
    which cleans all the gunk out of the machine

as mentioned read coffeegeek.com

the grinder is more important than the machine (honestly)
    factor it in your budget

if your grind is not right you can not make good espresso - fact

trust me on this, i am a coffee fanatic
    i make my own blends and roast my own coffee

note that making good espresso has a learning curve
    also note that preground coffee is rubbish, no matter
    how good the beans

if you grind coffee fresh it smells amazing
    if you come back to that grind half an hour later
    it hs already lost so much of its aroma and oils

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The big factor with Gaggia models is that the cheaper models have aluminium filter holders while the Classic and other models have chromed brass.
    The brass holds the heat much better giver a hotter coffee without having to use hotter water.
    The brass ones have a much nicer feel and weight too.

I've used both and it really is a big factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

The big factor with Gaggia models is that the cheaper models have aluminium filter holders while the Classic and other models have chromed brass.
    The brass holds the heat much better giver a hotter coffee without having to use hotter water.
    The brass ones have a much nicer feel and weight too.

I've used both and it really is a big factor.

Excellent point. And the other great thing about brass is the temperature stability you get with it. Aluminium handles tend cool as soon as the water hits them which can knock your brewing temperature down below the optimum. There's nothing you can do about it. Also check that whatever you buy uses standard 58mm baskets so you have the choice of the widest range of tampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What? I can't find anything on what that stands for?

sorry... only seeing this now. IRYIIC is Greek for "I'd rep you if I could".

Anyone looking for coffee gear this weekend might find
    this of interest. Looks like 25% off in BT, phone them and check
    as it's likely to include their range of coffee machines and grinders.

cool thanks for the heads up... even with 25% off would BT still be cheaper than most other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Like the original poster, I too seem to be lost in a world of Gaggia Classics and Babys and Twin Babys, 'D's, non 'D's and thats only about half the Gaggia range.... and I'm struggling to identify the benefits of one model over another.

I'll spend ~€350 and my needs are modest:

I'll drink one or two short espressos per day. Perhaps a few Americanos as well. The wife will drink the odd cappucino if someone makes it for her...

Which machine is flexible enough for this? Any differences in quality or reliability of particular models or any models to avoid?

I heard some Gaggias cannot accomodate larger cups or mugs. In this case how can you make a 'long' coffee?

Thanks.

Have a read of this thread it answers your questions. The OP there had dedicated a similar budget to yourself. Feel free to ask any questions in that thread or this one. I'll merge them for you either if you want :)
    Flyer28 wrote: »
    I heard some Gaggias cannot accomodate larger cups or mugs. In this case how can you make a 'long' coffee?

Thanks.

You're right that they can't accomodate a large cup but....

... an americano/latte/cappucino all have espresso as their base. You just pour your espresso as normal into an espresso cup and then tip it into the heated milk or water as any barista would. So you don't need the large cup under the group head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

... an americano/latte/cappucino all have espresso as their base. You just pour your espresso as normal into an espresso cup and then tip it into the heated milk or water as any barista would. So you don't need the large cup under the group head.

If I'm doing an americano, I sometimes remove the drip tray and place the mug under (remembering to but something under the solenoid valve exit pipe).

For lattes I have nice bowl shaped mugs which fit under the portafilter.

Definitely would never tip espresso into milk. There's something very wrong about doing it that way. (plus you don't get to make your modern / impressionist latté art attempts).

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Definitely would never tip espresso into milk. There's something very wrong about doing it that way. (plus you don't get to make your modern / impressionist latté art attempts).

Interesting. Would you not just be drinking milk until the espresso starts getting through though?

Interesting. Would you not just be drinking milk until the espresso starts getting through though?
    Well the milk doesn't just sit on top. The milk is poured into the espresso, rather than on top of. So... no.

I'll give it a shot.

Plenty of good technique videos on youtube.

Like this one:

Personally don't use knife or spoon like demonstrated there, but you get the idea.

Thanks RE*AC*TOR, I'll check it out this evening.

Making an espresso in an espresso cup/small jug and then decanting it into
    a larger mug for a latte/cappuccino would mean you'll loose valuable coffee
    oils and the crema in the process. I also remove the drip tray if I need
    extra clearance under the portafilter for tall mugs.

That makes good sense too. I always rinse all the 'remains' out of the espresso cup with the water used to make up an americano. I will move the drip tray in future though.

I watched that clip last night, thanks again RE*AC*TOR, very informative.

What ratio coffee:milk do you normally mix? I'm going to purchase some decent latte cups and need to pick a size. I'm thinking about 12oz?

Yeah I make a latté with a double in a 12oz cup (LSA International bought in STOCK). You need to nail down you frothing technique to get microfoam instead of big bubbles. Very little foam for a latté.

I use 6oz Bodum pavina glasses for cappuccinos (not that I make them very often). Bought 50/50 foam and milk.

EDIT:

Speaking of which, I ordered a rancilio silvia steam wand/arm to replace the one on the classic. The one on the classic is just too short, when you take off the panerello yoke (which is an abomination).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I installed a Rancillio Silvia steam wand on my Gaggia evolution a while back and it's the dogs dangly bits. Highly recommended.

Advertisement