Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calmers

• 04-04-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a good calmer? My mare is hot and very excitable especially when jumping. I had been using herbal ones but they don't seem to be working very well anymore. Just wondering if there are any good ones that will just take the edge off as she will be eventing again next month and her dressage tends to be quite explosive!!!:)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Bluechip Karma is apparantly very good, as is Steady Neddy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

My friend used to use steady neddy on her gelding and as far as i know was happy with the results. Thats all i know about them, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

check out this months free equiads magazine (get it from a local tack shop or agri store), you can send away for a free sample of calmer...so you can see if it suits your horse before spending lots of money on something that might not work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I used to use Bach Rescue Remedy, and I think it worked, but might just have been coincidence!! Equine Oxyshot seems to be getting good press? A lot of the eventers are endorsing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

Thanks-I've heard about oxyshot so maybe I'll give that a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

The only ones I've heard of are magnesium based, which is a mood booster in humans as well. Calmag would be a well known brand afaik.

If you dont mind me asking, what is the issue with your horse that you feel one is a good idea?

She's been on them for a while now but this current one isn't working. She just needs something to take the edge off, as she gets very wound up and excitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Heard a story in america... that a racehorse trainer used to give some of his breakers marijuana to "take the edge" of some of them. Probably a load of bull. Anyway OP i used to use steady neddy. seemed to work. But as napoles said maybe it was coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMaggie

Why is your horse behaving in those ways?

Eh thanks Togster! I don't think I'll let my horse turn into a stoner just yet:)!!
    Ms.Maggie there is no specific reason for this horses behaviour she has just always been very keen to get going. I don't want the dull 'sedated' effect some calmers seem to achieve but would like for her to relax a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I use the orchard m,agnesium stuff and its good stuff its sorted out a few horses we have. itw www.orchardequestrian.com but they stock it in a few places

Advertisement