Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torchwood, goodbye for now

• 04-04-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

Well, I don't care what anyone else thinks, that was a friggin' amazing season finale!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, as season finales go, it was fantastic, and probably the strongest episode in its 26 show run so far.

Season 2 was easily better than Season 1.

Roll on Season 3...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great finale and genuinely shocking moments in it. A lot better than the CGI-fest S1 finale which is fitting in a season that surpassed its first season every single week.
    Who [get it - who?] would have thought I'd rather have more Torchwood now than go into a new season of 'Doctor Who'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Crap, I was at the BGRH Beers and forgot it was on last night. Anyone know if it's repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

A really great finale IMO. Does anyone think Captain John will stay on as part of the team or whats the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm hoping Martha Jones will come back as their medic, and it'd be good to see Captain John staying on too. A new computer wizz needed though.

• Advertisement

nothing wrote: »
    I'm hoping Martha Jones will come back as their medic, and it'd be good to see Captain John staying on too. A new computer wizz needed though.
    I reckon Captain John won't, based purely on James Marsters being busier (e.g. Braniac in 'Smallville'). It'd be good if he could but we may just have occasional starring roles.
    Martha is a must surely though! She's already had experience in Owen's role and it would suit her.
    Not sure who would replace Tosh though - maybe someone brand new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Yeah, I agree it's unlikely he'll stay, though he did say in Declassified that he really enjoyed the role, so maybe he'll pop back now and then.

A brand new face would be good, a new wizz, though I'll find it hard to accept Tosh and Owen are gone for good. They just suited their roles so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Due to stuff beyond my control I have missed a lot of the latter half of this run, but i made a big effort to tune into "Exit Wounds".

I thought it was fitting that Owen went out the way he did. He is a much much better character and whilst the story was a fitting end to his personal development, I do have to wonder if it was all intentional.

A lot of the criticisims of the show's first year were answered this year, which either shows a great willingness to engage with the core community, a lack of nerve/getting it plain wrong on the creative team or a desire to embrace the opportunities of being a flagship BBC2 (as opposed to BBC3) show. Yes, I know I'm a cynical aul goat, but i think that Owens development this year stems from that.

I will miss tosh, there was something lovely in the fact that they both went out at the same time. Bless.

As for the show as a whole, it's dead good, innit?

Roll on next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just got around to watching it this evening. I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm a bit sick of them using weevils for everything though.... I've never found them that interesting as a species.... I would love to see more of the aliens behind Gray's abduction though.

Also... the whole being buried alive thing played out almost exactly like the scenes in Angel when Connor buries Angel alive at the bottom of the ocean as revenge for letting him be abducted into a hell dimension as a child. Although the few months Angel was buried alive was a little more believable than the 2000 years Jack was buried alive... I can't see your psyche coming out too healthy after that. It looked like they gave him a cup of tea and he was fine though.

Also... the whole being buried alive thing played out almost exactly like the scenes in Angel when Connor buries Angel alive at the bottom of the ocean as revenge for letting him be abducted into a hell dimension as a child. Although the few months Angel was buried alive was a little more believable than the 2000 years Jack was buried alive... I can't see your psyche coming out too healthy after that. It looked like they gave him a cup of tea and he was fine though.
    Fair point, especially when we know how much that show (and Buffy) influenced Torchwood. Jack should have shown more sign of being troubled.

Now what I don't understand is why Spike didn't go forward one week in 27AD, after Gray buried Angel (heh) and dig him up then? Why on earth wait 2007 years? I can't think of a good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aye, the burial thing seemed to be totally for impact, with little thought actually given to it. Also, Captain John's redemption didn't ring true. They tried to paint it that he was under Grey's control all the time and regretted everything he'd done, whereas from what we've seen, he was always impulsive and flaky with a sadistic streak towards Captain Jack.

Still, I enjoyed the episode a lot despiste the nitpicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Now what I don't understand is why Spike didn't go forward one week in 27AD, after Gray buried Angel (heh) and dig him up then? Why on earth wait 2007 years? I can't think of a good reason.
    I was thinking that too but then Gray said something to John like "I gave you one trip and you chose to come here." He could have gone forward a few days and dug Jack up but then they'd be stranded there, which would be alright for Jack but John doesnt have that immortality thing going on.

Advertisement