Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air rifle pellets

Options
  • 04-04-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

would anyone know if it,s possible and or legal to buy pellets from england,and if so what,s the procedure.
    b.t.w. I do have an airgun and a licence for same,
    fantastic range of pellets in the uk compared to here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Should be no problem marlin. I have ordered from ebay before and had no prblems

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

thanks stevoman
    I,ll give ebay a try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Illegal without an import permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Air gun pellets would not be classed as ammunition as such. They've no powder nor primer so they wouldn't be restricted for sending in the post or by courrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

That's strange. In UCD Rifle Club you can buy the pellets but they have to stay on the range and are kept there for you as they are classified as ammunition. I also bought some in Germany a while back and checked with the legislation here before bringing them over and I had to go back on the deal as I was not allowed to bring air rifle/pistol pellets into Ireland without a permit to buy ammunition. Now that is quite different to the firearms licence. Maybe Sparks knows more about it?

However, if pellets fall under the ammunitions legislation I am afraid that ordering and buying from Ebay without the permit is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

it seems a bit strange to have them under ammunition legislation, after all, they are not too far physically from fishing weights (shot).

op, if you are able to get some posted over, could you post up here the company details etc. the choice in uk is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

DOJ still see them as ammo, i.e. import licence required for purchase from EU countries. If you want to get busted for what is essentially smuggling, then go right ahead and give the DOJ another reason to further restrict our sport. If you want something special, talk to your local dealer.

OP could get an article 7 authorisation to get them shipped legally, but not sure if the UK shops would be bothered for small amounts.

The legal boffins (that's you Sparks :D) will undoubtedly pick this up soon and cite the relevant legislation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

anychance of a link to the legislation? anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In easy-to-read format:
    Section 1
    Definitions and interpretation.

(1) In this Act—

“ammunition” (except where used in relation to a prohibited weapon) means ammunition for a firearm and includes—
    (a) grenades, bombs and other similar missiles, whether or not capable of being used with a firearm,
    (b) any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition or missile, and
    (c) restricted ammunition, unless the context otherwise requires;

“firearm” means—
    (b) an air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy,

In other words, lead pellets, brass cartridges, lead bullets, they're all classed as ammunition both seperately and as assembled rounds.

PS. Cheers bigred :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I stand corrected so :o. Seen them available for postorder in the Kettner catalogue on the continent more than a few times. Post and courrier companies on the continent don't seem to have any problem shipping them but than again if the law says they're ammo so they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I stand corrected so :o. Seen them available for postorder in the Kettner catalogue on the continent more than a few times. Post and courrier companies on the continent don't seem to have any problem shipping them but than again if the law says they're ammo so they are.

Yes, it is a bit different in the other EU countries. In Germany, for example, you can buy pellets without any permit. Everyone could by air rifles and air pistols as long as they were over 18 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

i usually carry mine in my carry on luggage when flying to Ireland from England,usually they take a look after they've been through the x-ray machine.never had any problems

Advertisement