Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best way to bring a rifle to Ireland to shoot in a comp?

Options
  • 04-04-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Apologies if this has been discussed before- I am hoping to shoot in a competition in mid-June (NTSA Rifle National Championships). I have a UK Firearms Cert, but I presume I will need to apply to the Gardai for an import licence of some sort (I shoot a .22 target rifle)???
    Where do I need to store my rifle overnight and do the Gardai need to know this?
    Is it possible for a UK resident to get an ROI FAC so that I would not need to deal with additional paperwork everytime I want to shoot in Ireland?
    Any advice very welcome,
    Thanks
    UK Exile

Comments

You need a full license I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People will be along in a while with the details, but you will need a licence from the Garda and I think it is valid for a year, there is also a shorter licence available.

Garda don't quite seem to know what visitors are meant to do with weapons overnight other than keep them secured.

Have a look here, but I'm not sure if this form is up to date. http://www.garda.ie/forms/nonresfirearmsform.pdf

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

As far as I know, if you fill in the form that Victor linked to, you will get a full Irish FAC (until 31st July :rolleyes:).

I don't think there's a short-term permit; I think that's one of the things the NGBs gripe about regularly.

See you at the competition.

EDIT: Get your paperwork in as soon as possible. The Gardai can be very slow with firearms paperwork sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup, full licence needed I'm afraid.
    Apply to the local station (local to where the nationals are being held) or to the Commissioner.

There is an alternative we've done for the air rifle stuff in the past - bring over your stock and sights, borrow someone else's barrel, action and ammo, and off you go. You're then covered over here. Fnding a suitable donor may be more tricky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 UK Exile

Thanks all,
    I will fill out the application and see. Borrowing an action becomes more difficult for me as a left handed shooter, but hopefully I will get the license in time
    See you at the Nationals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Isnt the Euro firearms passport supposed to cover this all??Or is it Ireland just being selective on which EU laws we will adhere to??:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Isnt the Euro firearms passport supposed to cover this all??Or is it Ireland just being selective on which EU laws we will adhere to??:rolleyes:

No, the Europass doesn't cover it all. You still need the authorization of the state you're travelling to (in Ireland this takes the form of an FAC) in addition to the Europass.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Though there are changes underway to fix that - so in a few years, the europass should be all that you need. For now however, it's still awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1

The local station to where the Nationals are being held is Tallaght AFAIK.

rrpc wrote: »
    +1

The local station to where the Nationals are being held is Tallaght AFAIK.

Where are the nationals being held?

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    Where are the nationals being held?

BRC in Bohernabreena.

rrpc wrote: »
    BRC in Bohernabreena.

OK. Good to get a crack at it tomorrow then, I haven't shot there in years.

I was kinda looking forward to another trip to MNSCI though. :)

I do know of one left handed barrel and action (Anschutz 1813 I think). The owner posts here. He may consider loaning it, but obviously that's entirely up to him.

I know of one lefty anschutz as well that could probably be lent.. not sure of the model number, can check if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 UK Exile

Thanks all again, I will try to get the paperwork, and if there are problems will come back shouting help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

RRPC - what date in June?

Good luck with the qualifications tomorrow too - I won't be able to make it.

LB6

LB6 wrote: »
    RRPC - what date it June?

Good luck with the qualifications tomorrow too - I won't be able to make it.

LB6

June 22nd. And thanks for that, just back from delivering the equipment.

Thanks to Slug Chucker also for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've a lefty Anschutz if you're interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Non - Residents Bringing Firearms into Ireland

General Comments Re: Visitors

1. Persons not normally resident in the State who wish to import firearms for holidays / sporting purposes including clay pigeon and target shooting must be in possession of an Irish firearm certificate in respect of the firearm in question.
    2. In addition visitors covered by Community Law must be in possession of a valid European Firearms Pass.
    3. Stun guns are totally prohibited in Ireland. Firearms certificates are not granted for these weapons.
    4. Crossbows and air rifles are classified as firearms in Ireland, consequently, these weapons cannot be brought in to the State without an Irish firearm certificate.
    5. ersons wishing to apply must complete an application form which is available from the local Superintendent of the district in which they intend to shoot in first or it is also available on the internet at www.garda.ie
    6. Applications must be made to the Superintendent of the area in which they intend shooting in first and must be accompanied by the following:
    1. Appropriate Fee. (Rifle E38, 1st shotgun/Crossbow E25, 2nd or subsequent shotgun / Crossbow E6)
    2. Residents of E.C. Member States must include an original European Firearms Pass (E.F.P.) (copies will not be accepted).
    3. In any other case, any other permit, licence, authorisation or other document duly issued by an appropriate authority or body outside the State which the issuing person considers acceptable.
    4. If Deer Hunting, you will also require a Deer Hunting Licence from Duchás, National Parks and Wildlife, Department of Environment and Local Government, 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2, Ireland. www.environ.ie

Advertisement