Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone played Crisis Core yet.

Options
  • 04-04-2008 10:29pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gone to the lent of importing this game for the PSP yet. I hear its meant to be pretty good. A story up to par with the orginal FFVII apparantly.

Any opinons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

Which one is this?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its the prequel to Final Fantasy 7 with the lead role being filled by Zack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_core

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭LordBlonde

I oredered it the other day. Waiting it for it to be delivered. Looks great though!

It actually cost me less to import it than buy a new PSP game here. God bless the crappy US Dollar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I've played through the first couple of hours. It's pretty good. Almost like a more complicated, deeper version of Kindom Hearts (gameplay wise). The slots system during battles is extremely weird and I don't fully understand it yet myself :confused: Story seems pretty solid so far too, I can see myself really getting into this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I imported it from Japan because I wanted to get the FFVII PSP that came out with it at the time.

If you're a FFVII fan, you most definately will like this game. A small amount of FFVII fans may not be into real time action battles, as opposed to turn based battles, and some people don't like the DMW system, the slot reels, that handle your Limit Breaks/Summons/Levelling Up as they complain that they are too random. However, the story of the game really is very good. To me it did not feel like a cash in, but a great explanation of some of the FFVII world.

Here's a link to the little review I wrote here on Boards when I finished the game: linkage

If you're not an FFVII fan, but you like ARPGs, you will probably enjoy this game quite a bit, although I think some of the flaws of the game may stick out more. My main criticism of Crisis Core was that half of the game was too easy - but that was because it was the Japanese version. America and Europe are getting Normal and Hard Mode, so hopefully that's problem solved difficulty wise. The cutscenes are not skippable, that doesn't tend to bother me, but I know a lot of people don't like being unable to skip things, so just be aware of that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

if you ask me as a FF fan...i say it is a fair game...but seriously after my played of it ,dont bother if you really really really like the original FF7,which i am clearly making a statement here i wish i would never get to play this psp crisis core.It is a fine game in all aspects,worth the money ,i just dont like they make something of FF7 like that ,the story is disgraceful in my eyes (god ,the new 2 characters...),the way they illustrated it if you know what i mean(aeris looks like a completely stranger to me!where is my perfect goddess?!),the personality of characters,dailog etc ,just not the right feeling...while the battle system is boring like hell - the slot system is nonsence,you get something when you get 3sephiroth???

dont make me start ranting on the music part too...completely madness!!the original soundtrack is so good ,normally their remix version wouldnt sound bad too...but the remix music in Crisis Core is simply just wtf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The jury is still out on this for me. I not entirely sure i like it. Gonna give it a go as i gave FFX-2 a go and it can't be that bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    if you ask me as a FF fan...i say it is a fair game...but seriously after my played of it ,dont bother if you really really really like the original FF7,which i am clearly making a statement here i wish i would never get to play this psp crisis core.It is a fine game in all aspects,worth the money ,i just dont like they make something of FF7 like that ,the story is disgraceful in my eyes (god ,the new 2 characters...),the way they illustrated it if you know what i mean(aeris looks like a completely stranger to me!where is my perfect goddess?!),the personality of characters,dailog etc ,just not the right feeling...while the battle system is boring like hell - the slot system is nonsence,you get something when you get 3sephiroth???

dont make me start ranting on the music part too...completely madness!!the original soundtrack is so good ,normally their remix version wouldnt sound bad too...but the remix music in Crisis Core is simply just wtf...

Thanks for that, looks like my original worries have all come true. Sounds like the generic tosh that square enix have been pumping out lately but not as bad. I'll stick with Brave Story and Jeanne D'Arc for the time being.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thanks for that, looks like my original worries have all come true. Sounds like the generic tosh that square enix have been pumping out lately but not as bad. I'll stick with Brave Story and Jeanne D'Arc for the time being.
    the graphic of crisis core is stunning really on psp,defo showing the max performance of the console,beat some early ps2 games i say :D

but from a view of the game itself,it is pity.nothing much new from the story they already told us in the original FF7.there,i mean the new added parts ,mainly focus on the 2 new characters related to Zack ,try to illustrate more of the FF7 world,disaster ,is a historical failure of Square i say(well,gald they are no more SquareSoft...phew) .They try so hard to make a good game ,it is doubtless that they put so much effort into the game - the perfect CG/stylish designs in the game is as perfect as Square always does.they are serious on this game.that's why i say worth the every penny.

but from a fan view aka game geek,it is greatly disappointing.ffs we want something more!we expect something better and able to touch our heart again!to be able to see the Aeris alive again is why i keep the game:)(eventho the aeris part story in this game is frustrating)poor Square,is that really all you can do?they now really look like struggling in the industry IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Have played it for a few hours now , not entirely impressed but not bad either.

Its got good graphics and the story fills in some blanks and back story , i found it very linear....Main Story or picking missions from save points, not to many times to pick up side missions by exploring ala Zelda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

I'm about 16 hours into it and loving it. It's a great sequel (prequel) and well worth importing. Most of the story is known already but it is definitely the best game on the PSP as far as I'm concerned. After a year of gathering dust I've probably used it more this week than I have during the previous two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

A fair few hours in and I'm loving it myself - wasn't a die hard FF7 fan, but I enjoyed the story back then. So far, this is a great homage to FF7.

Nice to get some background on SOLDIER, the wutai war and all the main characters. Cool to see Serphiroth before he went a tad insane, and I'm actually finding Zack to be a much more likable character then Cloud.

I'd definitely recommend picking it up - it does the FF7 and PSP great justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I always liked Zack that bit more than Cloud... he whined less. But I liked Vincent a whole lot, and it didn't make Dirge of Cerberus a great game...

My friend has a modded PSP and got Crisis Core. I've seen the intro and played a few battles, it seems solid enough but I'm still wary about these VII 10th anniversery thingies. (Which I've started dubbing FF VII-2... for obvious nerdy reasons)

(Also, am I the only person in the world who hates these "flying sword duels" in FFVII AMV and movies? What's wrong with fighting on the floor like... yknow.... the characters in the game did??)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

FFVII has run it's course. Let it go. No need to ruin a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ok, a few hours into and it's a mixed bag tbh, so some thoughts...

Gameplay: The realt-time element of dodging / blocking attacks is nice. However, the randomness of the DMW slots things is at best annoying and at worse makes things incredibly boring. More bad than good here, so it's here where the game falls down ultimately.

Story: Very weak starting off. But has actually really grown on me, and specifically when Sephiroth steps into the forefront in the story - his character is added to in this game I think (i.e. he has a real personality) and is very likeable, which makes things all the more tragic knowing about the future events that are to occur. The main plot, regarding the two new characters is weak at first but is improving all the time. So, so far, story-wise its been better than expected.

Music: Good and bad. Some of the remixed FF tunes are simply atrocious. But, there are some fantastic new melodies which ive found myself humming to away from the PSP.

SofaK wrote: »
    Ok, a few hours into and it's a mixed bag tbh, so some thoughts...

Gameplay: The realt-time element of dodging / blocking attacks is nice. However, the randomness of the DMW slots things is at best annoying and at worse makes things incredibly boring. More bad than good here, so it's here where the game falls down ultimately.

so weird when the 3 sephiroth and tseng etc showed up in the DMW slot...wtf?:pac:
    SofaK wrote: »
    Story: Very weak starting off. But has actually really grown on me, and specifically when Sephiroth steps into the forefront in the story - his character is added to in this game I think (i.e. he has a real personality) and is very likeable, which makes things all the more tragic knowing about the future events that are to occur. The main plot, regarding the two new characters is weak at first but is improving all the time. So, so far, story-wise its been better than expected.

story is still good of the first half of the game...wait till the other half...i keep thinking are these two characters really necessary for the FF7 plot?light spoiler:the cutting off the Junon cannon made me :confused::confused::confused::eek:.again,huh? and wtf.

Advertisement