Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil lights on VWs

Options
  • 04-04-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

A person I know sold a VW Passat.The man who bought it came back and said that the oil light turned on.His money was refunded.The oil level was fine.The car was driven around for hours and the light didnt light up.
    What is the reason for this?
    Could there be a problem with the car....

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Oil pressure and level sensors on VWs do give bother from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Oil pumps weak on some petrol models but most probably sensor fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Was the oil light on when returned?. No, then how do we know it was the Oil light was on.
    What were the driving conditions when the oil was reported to be on, Go about a turn fast and sharp and you can turn the oil light on.
    The fact that the car was (presumably) driven back to the original owner suggests there was nothing wrong with the oil pressure.

Was it returned with the original engine?.

Is it leaking oil.. from the oil sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

i had a golf with this prob. Its was a 01 tdi and everyonce in a while the oil light would come on.
    There is 2 lights on the vw diesel.
    A yellow one which is a level light, in the bottom of the sump and a red light light, which is pressure located on the side of the filter
    It was the pressure one that was comin on on me but i knew it was pressure related.
    Changed the oil light switch and it still used to do it randomly so i cut the wire as far back into the loom that i could get and ran a new wire to the sensor.
    Never had a prob after that.
    On a foot note i still have a mk4 golf and as a mechanic it bugs the hell out of me that the oil pressure light goes out on these cars befor the engine is even started..

Advertisement