Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water valve doesn't seem to affect upstairs cold water

Options
  • 04-04-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

Our hotpress in our 6 year old dormer house has 2 valves. They shut off the hot water for the complete house and cold water for downstairs.

The cold water valve does not seem to shut off the cold water upstairs. Is this normal? Would I have to run the taps upstairs for a very long time? I ran the bath upstairs for 5 mins it sounded like the tank in the attic was starting to fill again.

I need to a small repair job on the upstairs toilet but it means shutting of the water.

I would expect that the hotpress valves would take care of everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

option #1 there should be a valve outside the house either on the road, or under the kitchen sink.
    if u shut this valve it will shut off the supply to the house.
    run the cold water in the bath and the upstairs sink (this will empty the tank)

option 2 :- tie up the ballcock.
    go into the attic and tie up the ballcock on the large tank .
    then run the taps, this should empty the tank.

Hope this helps

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Doctor_L wrote: »
    Hi,

Our hotpress in our 6 year old dormer house has 2 valves. They shut off the hot water for the complete house and cold water for downstairs.

The cold water valve does not seem to shut off the cold water upstairs. Is this normal? Would I have to run the taps upstairs for a very long time? I ran the bath upstairs for 5 mins it sounded like the tank in the attic was starting to fill again.

I need to a small repair job on the upstairs toilet but it means shutting of the water.

I would expect that the hotpress valves would take care of everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Liam

Am guessing a bit here: am assuming HP is downstairs:
    the cold water valve in the HP is below the take off for the cold upstairs so there is another pipe from the tank or from the cold pipe in the HP above the valve that feeds cold to bath etc upstairs.
    Check how many pipes come from storage tank, my quess is 3 or else 2 and a tee to upstairs bathrooms

Would not recommend draining tank:
    1 u can get air locks
    2 when u refill all the sh1t on bottom of tank will be stirred up and ....

Have u enough pipe visible in bathroom to freeze the pipe while u work on the head: u can get an aerosol thingy in ur local plumbing supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

when u refill all the sh1t on bottom of tank will be stirred up and
    so you clean the tank while its empty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'm with irchoa on this one aswell.
    Upstairs is more than likely fed from the tank directly ,from the attic.

Get up into the attic and try and locate a 3/4 valve. There will probably be a 1/2valve for the shower up there aswell.

Wouldn't recommend turning off the water completely or tying up the ballcock ,it can cause trouble and cost you money to get someone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

I rang the plumber who did the original plumbing work on the house 6 years ago, he told me to check the side dormer attic upstairs. I did and found the valve. As the hotpress was downstairs he had this valve placed upstairs in the side dormer attic and the other two down stairs.

Toilets now fixed.

Many Thanks

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Liam,
    Great to see u got sorted and took the time to get back to us: Glad we could help.

Advertisement