Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric gates - price?

Options
  • 04-04-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

any one got an idea of prices for electric gates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

2 to 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ircoha wrote: »
    2 to 5k

Great Answer - let me expand it - 3.5 to 5.5k .........
    GEZZZZZZ........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Buy rams online and install them yourself or have an electrician do them for about a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Where can I get kits or the rams for automatic gates online. I could fit them myself im sure.
    Are there any good (cheap) kits out there and where can I get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Try this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

BFassassin wrote: »
    Where can I get kits or the rams for automatic gates online. I could fit them myself im sure.
    Are there any good (cheap) kits out there and where can I get them?

Try Here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

anybody know the pros and cons of hydraulic versus electro mechanical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

towbar wrote: »
    anybody know the pros and cons of hydraulic versus electro mechanical

whist i have never installed any automatic gates, id be more willing to go electrical. hydraulics can handle big loads but are more hassle to set up and maintain. I presume you dont have 2 ton lumps of wrought iron as gates?

mawk not quite 2 ton but I have 2.2m leaf 2/3 boarded wooden gates which attract a fair bit of wind pressure.

I dont mind if occasionally on a windy day the gates wont open or close automatically but I want to be pretty sure that the arm is stronge enough not to break and leave my gates swinging in the wind.

I am getting completely different views from suppliers and just wondering what peoples experience was.

Gates are similiar to those in pic attached

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lovely gates lad, where u get them made? What sort of sponds are you talking?

• Advertisement

For my gates which were based on that design I got them made in Belfast I cant remember the company name so will pm you the guys email address and mobile number. It was something over £2k for hardwood iroko 4.4m wide opening and 1.5m high - finished. Very good company to deal with but I collected and hung gates myself as they manufacture only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good price if that was in €'s - nice gates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Hi towbar,
    I have very similar width as you i.e 4.47m, do you have an idea on the weight of each gate when made from the solid wood e.g for determining requirements for electric opener loads.

thanks

niceirishfella - that price is sterling and at the time exchange rate wasnt as good as now... i cant remember exact figure I think I paid 2100 sterling.

bro' weight is not the issue i'd say they could be about 100kg each leaf - I know I could lift it but I wasnt going to be moving it anywhere fast!!!! The issue is the wind effect because of the boarding on the gate - that increases the effort required to open and close the gate in windy conditions.

The question is I dont know by how much and mroe importantly what sort of arm is needed to hold onto the gate as when I asked one vendor what would happen if the gate was too heavy for the arm he told me proudly that there was a plastic shear nut in the arm that would break preventing damage to the motor. I think he overestimated the value I placed on his arm versus my wooden gate which would be left bouncing off the gate stop in the wind!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

bro' wrote: »
    Hi towbar,
    I have very similar width as you i.e 4.47m, do you have an idea on the weight of each gate when made from the solid wood e.g for determining requirements for electric opener loads.

thanks
    As stated by others the main factor on normal gates 100 - 200Kg per leaf is the covering used. If it is a wrought iron gate no problem since the wind will "whistle" through the bars have a minimal impact on the gate. Wooden gate are a different story as they are like a large sail, ready to squash the unsuspecting peadestrian (if you haven't automated them).

The ratings for gate openers is a little confusing as the Nm quoted are usually measured in different locations for example the lever in an underground system is normally 350 - 400 Nm while in ram system the thrust is rated at 2000 - 3000 N. In the ram case it is the force the ram can produce in a straight line, in the underground case it is the turning force.

At a rule of thumb, electromechaincal rams are great on wooden gates, since they use the law of the lever to great effect, the ram in normally bolted to the gate about 1.3 Meters away from the hinge, when you apply 2000 N to a point 1.3 M from the fulcrum it can create quite a force. The biggest issue will be setting the anti crush force it need to be set to overcome strong winds but not to high as to crush a person should they get trapped in the closing motion. By the way the anti crush force is set by an electronic control. You may find the gates work great except in very windy weather they are slower than normal, upping the power/torque setting make them open in all conditions but the crush force will be greater.
    There is a EU directive on anti crush control EN12445, have a look in this manual for more http://69.49.191.85/v/vspfiles/brochures/rotello_kit.pdf

Advertisement