Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

convicted in absence and travelling to US

• 05-04-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes,

Basically last year i found out i was convicted in my absence for parking in a clearway.

The offence in question occurred about 2 weeks before i moved house and i never got the original fine or subsuquent notifications of the court dates etc.(I had trouble with the motor tax office twice i went in to tax the car and they still hadn't changed my address even though i had requested the change)

The mail was never forwarde to me and i couldn't get access to get my mail.(won't go into detail trying to keep this as short as poss.)

I'm not disputing the offence as i know it is my responsibility to ensure these things are correct.
    I paid the fine when the guard eventually tracked me down at my new address.

I was told i was convicted in my absence but it wasn't a criminal conviction.This was never really explained to me fully by the guard
    He just basically told me he had a fine for me to pay.

I'm going to get back in contact with the guard next week to find out what this exactly means but maybe someone here can shed some light on this.

Im wondering can this effect the holiday visa waiver(maybe i have to contact the us embassy) as I am due to travel to the US and mexico for my honeymoon in august and I want to make sure everything is ok before i go.

IF its not a criminal conviction what is it and where is the best place to find out if it can have an effect on the visa?
    thanks
    the magician.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Could you rephrase the question?

"This is not a legal advice forum."

Or "*** Warning: Do Not Seek Legal Advice *** "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

not really sure which part i should rephrase but have done so.cant change the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

not really sure which part i should rephrase but have done so.cant change the title

You were not arrested and you were not convicted of a crime of moral turpitude under U.S. law.

You'll be fine, if you want explain to the immigration officer that you were fined for parking in a clearway and watch him laugh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

You have a conviction. You should appeal this to the circuit court. Get a solicitor and ask him to apply to extend the time for appeal. Do not allow that conviction to stand, irrespective of the fact that it might not affect your holiday plans.

Advertisement