Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway cycling clubs

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I have never been in a cycling club before and I am starting off as a road cyclist.
    AFAIK there are 2 main clubs in Galway; West Coast Wheelers and Galway Bay Cycling club.
    Can anyone who knows provide some feedback/recommendations on these clubs?
    What I really need to know is which club is more suited to someone starting out in road racing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sashimi

WestCoastWheelers are very welcoming to new cyclists - especially the Sunday spins from the cathedral car park. See the calendar section on their website for up to date details.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Yes I noticed that they have a Sunday spin for new cyclists, but it seems a little strange that the spin is for 120k and new cyclists turn back at 25-30k. It would be better if they had a dedicated spin for new cyclists, where, they would show you the basics of group riding, then you could join the 120k spins. This way, newbies like me wouldn't end up bringing down half the group because of inexperience.

From my view a club that only organises 2 training runs a week seems inflexible to the needs of all its members, particularly at this time of year. WCW don't seem to help organise any events either (I couldn't find any), whereas, GBCC have helped with the Ras Chonamara, which takes place this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Freeman wrote: »
    Yes I noticed that they have a Sunday spin for new cyclists, but it seems a little strange that the spin is for 120k and new cyclists turn back at 25-30k. It would be better if they had a dedicated spin for new cyclists, where, they would show you the basics of group riding, then you could join the 120k spins. This way, newbies like me wouldn't end up bringing down half the group because of inexperience.

From my view a club that only organises 2 training runs a week seems inflexible to the needs of all its members, particularly at this time of year. WCW don't seem to help organise any events either (I couldn't find any), whereas, GBCC have helped with the Ras Chonamara, which takes place this weekend.

it depends alot on the club, and the facilities available to them, yes one club organises more than the other, but maybe the members have time to give so they can organise these events.........I would'nt complain about it.

another thing, you are joining a club at the wrong time of year, training sessions are long\hard due to riders racing and they need to training, you should have joined in early sept\oct.....

maybe the club has a leisure\touring section, that would go for easier spins....but even at that touring cyclists would be preparing for their touring events

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Freeman wrote: »
    It would be better if they had a dedicated spin for new cyclists, where, they would show you the basics of group riding, then you could join the 120k spins.

I was talking to the secretary of one Dublin club yesterday who said they'd had a host of new members this year. What struck me is that he said many were totally new to the bike, i.e. just started cycling. They may have people like this in mind with their 25-30k spins.

In my experience with club runs, if they have beginners along, they'll be sure to teach you the basics, regardless of the length of the spin. It's in everyone's interest after all, since it could be them you bring down.

Advertisement