Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for taking care of spayed dog?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi there.
    Our little King charles pup Molly is getting spayed on monday and just wondering if anyone has some useful tips on looking after her. She's Nearly a year old and is about 3 months after her first heat.Shes very small even for a King Charles(weighs about 4 kilo now almost fully grown,she was the runt of the litter). thats why we waited till now to get her done(on our vets advice)

WE have a Male King Charles as well and I'm thinking we may have to seperate them(which they hate as they're the best of pals)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I have a king charles too. Her name is Cara but she is an old lady at nearly 14.
    It was years ago when she was spayed but she had to have a big op about a year and a half ago. My girl really loved the fact that we gave her a hot water bottle the night she came home!
    Just make sure you have her bed somewhere quiet for her and make sure she feels safe when she gets home. Make sure her food and water bowl are not too far away as she might be a bit groggy for the first day. I think if you fuss over her too much, she will pick up on it so just be normal and it will make her feel at ease.
    Your two are very cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

thanks laura,
    that sounds like a good idea with the hot water bottle. hopefully make her comfortable.She'll probably go live under the couch for the week though as thats where she goes when shes scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can get a dog crate to put her in if you like just be careful of water bottles use tap water rather than kettle water and cover it well. As long as the room she is in is kept nice and warm she will be ok. If poss see if the vet will give you a mild pain killer for when the one they give wears off you may not need it at all but some dogs are a little sore and miserable after and some just pop straight up. Just basically follow the vets advice they will prob say no food that day or night her tum will be a bit upset if you feel she will eat a little the next day then start off with just a little bit of food. Water wise for the first day give her a little dogs wont generally over drink anyway.

She'll be fine though once warm and cosy.
    If she likes under the couch mabey put a blanket under there.
    No walkies for a few days and when you feel shes up to it short strolls you'll know yourself what she is able for.

Advertisement