Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost transfer of wonership. Odd form.

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭

I ask this on behalf of my bro who has just been given a rather odd form from our regional motor tax office.

Basically he bought a new van, and the log book hasnt arrived in the past three weeks. He hasnt been able to get through the departement in shannon because they actually dont answer the phones ever, so he asked in the local tax office if they could check. Their PC check told him that it was not yet registered in his name, and she gave him what looks like a legal document requiring filling out and stamping by a solicitor and a main dealer confirimg VIN number and reg. It looks like ti needs to be signed by a solicitor and a main dealer confirming the details of the purchase which will come with a cost.
    The original seller (private seller) has said he has posted off the transfer foirm and he has a photocopy of it, and cannot understand what the problem is. He is more than happy to provide this copy of the form.

Is it required to fill in this legal form (and the associated charges) or could it be case of just wait and persevere for An post and wait for the new log book? Its bloody annoying that shannon dont answer the phone, and there is nowhere to enquire about this!
    Even though it was a prvate sale, it was bought at the guys house, and their is a written reciept, for what its worth.
    Anyone ever encounter this before?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It would be much easier for the seller to apply for a new Log book (seen the van is still in his name), he would need to get a form from the tax office, which then has to be signed by the garda saying he lost it. The new tax book will then be posted back to him, you could pick it up from him, after he filled it in, then drop it into the tax office and they should have it back to you within 7 days.

They way you explained would be normal practice if you could not contact the original owner or if you had imported a car but lost all the documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

I am in the same position, I bought a car from a dealer 3 months ago and i still have no reg cert. The dealer says "dont worry we will sort this out" and then forget you when they put the phone down, So i ring shannon and they send me the same form. When i went to a main dealer to get it stamped this is what i got
    Did you buy the car here ?
    What are you doing here ?
    We would not enter into something like that
    Basically they looked at me like i was a criminal trying to con them. So now what to do, I have a car i dont own with no tax on it. Do i threaten the dealer with a solicitor or bring car back the car and ask for refund

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

My mate's sister bought a car a few months back and only got the tax book back last week.
    I bought a car about 3 weeks ago and got the book back thursday evening.
    There doesn't seem to be any logic to it. I reckon just wait it out.

FYI and of the forms you get from the tax office should be available here:
    https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/staticContent.do?page=offline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

big dar wrote: »
    I am in the same position, I bought a car from a dealer 3 months ago and i still have no reg cert. The dealer says "dont worry we will sort this out" and then forget you when they put the phone down, So i ring shannon and they send me the same form. When i went to a main dealer to get it stamped this is what i got
    Did you buy the car here ?
    What are you doing here ?
    We would not enter into something like that
    Basically they looked at me like i was a criminal trying to con them. So now what to do, I have a car i dont own with no tax on it. Do i threaten the dealer with a solicitor or bring car back the car and ask for refund

Its the dealers responibility to change the car into your name.
    You should take it back and demand your money back. a car is useless without the log book.
    If they wont or fob you off that they will sort it out, just tell them you'll go to a solicitor.
    The process Big Dar is going through will take months and isn't worth the hassel.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

Senna wrote: »
    It would be much easier for the seller to apply for a new Log book (seen the van is still in his name), he would need to get a form from the tax office, which then has to be signed by the garda saying he lost it. The new tax book will then be posted back to him, you could pick it up from him, after he filled it in, then drop it into the tax office and they should have it back to you within 7 days.

They way you explained would be normal practice if you could not contact the original owner or if you had imported a car but lost all the documentation.

As the vehicle is currently registered in the previous owner's name, he must fill out an RF134 form (which he can get from gardai, motor tax office, or online), get gardai to sign and stamp the form, then send with €12 to his local motor tax office, they will issue a replacement in about 5-7 days.

The previous owner must then transfer it into your bro's name as he claimed to have done previously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement