Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 fuze box? Cigarette lighter (red light on) - but its not working?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

There a red guide light but my sat nav and phone charger is not working in it.

Odd, perhaps its a soldering iron I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I assume you mean the red light around the opening for the cig lighter. This light is connected to the dash illumination circuit and is not on the same circuit as the cig lighter. There is a good chance that the cig lighter fuse has blown - quite a lot of accessory items can blow the fuse as they don't fit correctly in the socket. AFAIK, it's a 15A fuse (blue) located in the right hand side of the dash panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

I bought a load of different fuzes. Replaced the cigarette one (15 amp) and it works again.

Crazy thing is .... that red light is now gone off?

hedgeh0g wrote: »

Crazy thing is .... that red light is now gone off?

AFAIK, the red light only works with the car's lights turned on. If the red light is out with the lights on then you've probably got a loose connection behind the cig lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Will test with lights on so.

elec continued .........
    The right brake light bulb was blown soon after fixing the lighter. So I replaced the bulb. It worked then

Then the left brake light went (possibly all lights in the left). when I removed the light pannel, it returned by itself. Put it back and it was gone again. Hit it a thump and it returned again.

Before all this started I noticed the display was shimmering for a few seconds.
    A short somewhere perhaps?

Never changed a car fuze or bulb beofre so all this is news to me, any help / hunches appreciated.

Make sure the replaced bulbs are EXACTLY the same as the blown ones - check especially the connections and the angles of the locator pins - especially if they are twin filament bulbs - i.e. stop & tail.

Failing that it could be a problem with the light switch - not uncommon in VW Group products. But you'll probably need a proper check before condemning any specific part. Try a good autoelectrician such as Hamiltons on Granby Row. Sorry, I don't have the number, but they are in the phone book, or you could PM Anan1 - he has recommended them a few times and provided the phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    Then the left brake light went (possibly all lights in the left). when I removed the light pannel, it returned by itself. Put it back and it was gone again. Hit it a thump and it returned again.

Check the contacts in the bulb-holder - they can get wet from poor sealing around the light cluster, and the resulting corrosion on the contacts can cause loose connections. The corrosion is a grey deposit from the zinc plating, rather than brown rust.

If there are a lot of water-marks, you need to find out how the water is getting in, or you will have other issues later on (wet carpeting/trim leading to body corrosion, smells, steamy windows, etc)

Advertisement