Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos FINALLY arrive in Sligo..

Options
  • 05-04-2008 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭

According to one of our regular posters here on the forum (Sligored) in the 'Shopping in Sligo' post, Argos is looking likely to finally be making a move to Sligo. His post says as follows:
    Sligored wrote:
    you read it first here ... argos en route to sligo ... more to follow in local papers this week
    So I guess the 'Sligo Post' is gonna have to delay their front-page news story on swingers party's in Lough Gill for another week! :D

Great news if it is indeed true!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I suppose the real question is... when will it open?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cool. Does anyone know where it is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Presumably it's a paddling for Sligored if they don't come now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm just hoping its not going to be in the new Wine Street shopping centre, if/when that ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

I will believe it when I see it.:confused::confused:

BUT I HOPE U ARE RIGHT

:pac::pac::pac:

I have sent them e-mails last year and they said

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055176579&highlight=argos

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Isn't their someone else now head of the Chamber of Commerce though? Think it was Joe McCann.. maybe they came to their senses.

basquille wrote: »
    Isn't their someone else now head of the Chamber of Commerce though? Think it was Joe McCann.. maybe they came to their senses.

It is Joe McCann, statement here:

Message from the Chamber President Joe McCann
    There are very exciting times to come for Sligo with the further development of the Centre Block and keeping Sligo where it belongs as the retail hub of the North West. However, parking is still a major problem for Sligo and hopefully in 2008 this can be addressed; this together with a firm commitment to the Western Rail Corridor and the importance of the Sligo General Hospital will be the focus of my presidency.

http://www.sligochamber.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I got so excited when I saw the title of the thread when it said they "Arrive In Sligo" but they have not arrived yet so we could be waiting a while yet.

Then I started to think that it was a joke about some Argos truck around the town,but thankfully it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Great news! Even if its this time next year, it would be big draw to the area.

As for it affecting small independent retaillers, most of them are gone now anyway.... :(

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I got so excited when I saw the title of the thread when it said they "Arrive In Sligo" but they have not arrived yet so we could be waiting a while yet.

Then I started to think that it was a joke about some Argos truck around the town,but thankfully it wasn't.

The truck has been going around for a few years but they are a sister company of Homebase and I saw an Argos catalogue in there a few weeks back, so maybe you can order stuff through Homebase? Or maybe the staff can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

magnumlady wrote: »
    The truck has been going around for a few years but they are a sister company of Homebase and I saw an Argos catalogue in there a few weeks back, so maybe you can order stuff through Homebase? Or maybe the staff can.

Yeah - Argos & Homebase are one in the same... a lot of Homebase deliveries are done on the back of Argos trucks.

Got the Weekender today.....not a mention of Argos:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I hope its the argos extra shop and not just a little one in the corner of the town somewhere.

Not a mention in The Post or Champion either:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Maybe they're biding their time til all is confirmed and settled..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The best location for it I think would aruably be in Cleveragh retail park. Lets face it theres nothing else in there really, and the on site parking would be great when you take to a shopping frenzy

New head of the chamber of commerce or not, as soon as there a whisper of an applicaiton lodged to bring Argos to sligo they will be up in arms about it again. They'll no doubt come up with some farcical excuse to object to it, but they will. History will repeat itself I fear. I just don't see the local business giving up the monopoly they have for some fair competition. (Maybe we could get the competition authority involved :))

I wouldn't blame Argos if they couldn't be bothered with all the hassle.

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    The best location for it I think would aruably be in Cleveragh retail park. Lets face it theres nothing else in there really, and the on site parking would be great when you take to a shopping frenzy

New head of the chamber of commerce or not, as soon as there a whisper of an applicaiton lodged to bring Argos to sligo they will be up in arms about it again. They'll no doubt come up with some farcical excuse to object to it, but they will. History will repeat itself I fear. I just don't see the local business giving up the monopoly they have for some fair competition. (Maybe we could get the competition authority involved :))

"Sligo Chamber exists to further the interests of its members by influencing all appropriate public and private bodies or agencies, to promote the long term economic developments of the county and to create, maintain and develop an environment and infrastructure in County Sligo which is conducive to the development of local business, industry and commerce.

Providing a range of effective and efficient services to enable the business community to grow, develop and gain competitive advantage, and to attract new industry, commerce and investment to the County."

What they don't seem able to accept though, is that commerce does not exist without consumers & that in this case, the consumer is getting the V-sign from them.

And as for their mission statement about attracting "new industry, commerce and investment to the County"... what a load of complete bollocks.

If I need something from Argos, I have to drive to Longford to get it. A lot of things I but from Argos are simply nor available in Sligo, so the county is losing out on getting my money & I'm losing out coz I'm wasting time & petrol getting there and back.

The Chamber seriously needs to cop onto themselves & remember the old adage - that in retail, the customer is always right. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Strongly agree!
    "Sligo Chamber exists to further the interests of its members by influencing all appropriate public and private bodies or agencies, to promote the long term economic developments of the county and to create, maintain and develop an environment and infrastructure in County Sligo which is conducive to the development of local business, industry and commerce.

Providing a range of effective and efficient services to enable the business community to grow, develop and gain competitive advantage, and to attract new industry, commerce and investment to the County."

What they don't seem able to accept though, is that commerce does not exist without consumers & that in this case, the consumer is getting the V-sign from them.

And as for their mission statement about attracting "new industry, commerce and investment to the County"... what a load of complete bollocks.

If I need something from Argos, I have to drive to Longford to get it. A lot of things I but from Argos are simply nor available in Sligo, so the county is losing out on getting my money & I'm losing out coz I'm wasting time & petrol getting there and back.

The Chamber seriously needs to cop onto themselves & remember the old adage - that in retail, the customer is always right. :mad:

Very Very Stongly Agree!

Here here, Couldn't have put it better myself. If the members of the chamber feel threatened by a new business coming to town, they'll do everything they can to stop it. Lets face it, they're doing a pretty good job so far

Lets face it, when have any business company or board given a toss about what the consumer think? we are only the means to their profit marjin after all. Tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

What people should be concerned with is that their objections are given credence, and moreover, upheld. With such one eyed objections from a self preservation society such as the Chamber, why are our civil servants making ridiculous judgements based on their attempts to keep hold of whatever position they think they hold? They're a miserable shower for the selfish way they've gone about it, but I hold my real disgust for those who implemented their wishlist, flicking a V-sign to the public's wishes. We pay their effing wages.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Lets face it, when have any business company or board given a toss about what the consumer think? we are only the means to their profit marjin after all. Tossers.

Are you some left wing radical or something? I'm going to guess you are a student and haven't quite thought this statement through.

Businesses cannot, I repeat, cannot suceed without consumers.

Of course businesses are there to make money....why would anyone set up a business to lose money? Businesses create jobs, they buy off other businesses that in turn keep other people in work.... whats the problem?

Successful companies look after their customers, but it would be a bit 'fluffy' to think that it wasn't based on the intention to make money.

btw, I'd love to see Argos in Sligo

Culchie wrote: »
    Are you some left wing radical or something? I'm going to guess you are a student and haven't quite thought this statement through.

Businesses cannot, I repeat, cannot suceed without consumers.

Of course businesses are there to make money....why would anyone set up a business to lose money? Businesses create jobs, they buy off other businesses that in turn keep other people in work.... whats the problem?

Successful companies look after their customers, but it would be a bit 'fluffy' to think that it wasn't based on the intention to make money.

btw, I'd love to see Argos in Sligo

Leftwing? Me? Most assuredly not, nor am I a student. I am just an opinionated local resident

Sucessful companies look after their customers? I agree they have to yes.
    Sligo business's appear to be doing so by force and not through customer service or value for money. By lodging objections to prevent Argos coming to sligo they are forcing consumers to continue giving their money to the local business that's in place. They have prevented any form of competition and consequently removed any form of free choice to the consumer.

Il Gatto has put this perfectly, the chamber have implemented their wishlist regardless of public opinoin. Its a mini version of the nanny state. 'We should continue to shop as we do because they tell us to', and if we don't like it, they will do their damdest to stop anyone else coming in and giving the public a freedom of choice, ergo my gripe.

Which Argos is nearest to Sligo?

sueme wrote: »
    Which Argos is nearest to Sligo?

Longford or Castlebar, its the same distance to either place.

Thanks for that. Usually go when in Enniskillen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Enniskillen will be nearer than either of them. And there is a good rate for sterling at the moment.

If traveling from Sligo I would recommend Enniskillen.

dingding wrote: »
    Enniskillen will be nearer than either of them. And there is a good rate for sterling at the moment.

I wouldn't. Can't stand the place. Crap road to it & the exchange rate's normally worse. There's only about 15 mins driving distance between them from Sligo & if the roads are busy, you'd be quicker going to Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

dingding wrote: »

No way! Its an hour to Castlebar and maybe just over an hour to Longford and it's a straight road!

Fight Fight Fight!!

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    No way! Its an hour to Castlebar and maybe just over an hour to Longford and it's a straight road!

Plus there's no border crossings. :D

Advertisement