Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos FINALLY arrive in Sligo..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Lets hope there's something in the Champion today regarding planning.

Or maybe they'll put it in the Post, unless the Chamber of Commerce members are 17/18 it might slip through under the radar! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sueme wrote: »
    Lets hope there's something in the Champion today regarding planning.

Or maybe they'll put it in the Post, unless the Chamber of Commerce members are 17/18 it might slip through under the radar! :D
    The only way it'll be announced in the Post is if they go on a pub crawl wearing a sandwich board with "Argos moves to Sligo" on it.

basquille wrote: »
    The only way it'll be announced in the Post is if they go on a pub crawl wearing a sandwich board with "Argos moves to Sligo" on it.

Wearing a really purty dress..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sandwich boards & purty dresses... sounds like the Patricks Day parade all over again.

It's also worth noting that the objections of the Chambers do have a basis in the Sligo & Environs Development Plan which restricts retail warehousing to "selling truly bulky goods (furniture, carpets, bulky electrical goods, gardening goods, DIY items)" and restricts the sale of "grocery & food items, footwear, clothing, books, magazines, mobile phones, music, toiletries, cosmetics, artists materials, jewellery, gifts, china & leather goods".

This is to "limit the impact on the vitality & viability of the city centre".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

It's also worth noting that the objections of the Chambers do have a basis in the Sligo & Environs Development Plan which restricts retail warehousing to "selling truly bulky goods (furniture, carpets, bulky electrical goods, gardening goods, DIY items)" and restricts the sale of "grocery & food items, footwear, clothing, books, magazines, mobile phones, music, toiletries, cosmetics, artists materials, jewellery, gifts, china & leather goods".

There is an obvious flaw with the plan, without some:
    "grocery & food items, footwear, clothing, books, magazines, mobile phones, music, toiletries, cosmetics, artists materials, jewellery, gifts, china & leather goods"
    These retail parks have nothing to draw the regular day To day shopper in, meaning people will only go to these parks when they are defo after an item, this means the shops are getting no "impulse" buyers and more importantly
    people arnt walking past eg a furniture shop and saying lets go in and have a look, planting the seed for a further purchase.
    I said this to a manager I know in a sligo retail park and he agreed and asked could i explain this to his bosses who dont understand how a place the size of sligo is not generating the expected results.

This may be very good for the shopper in the short term (not spending on credit etc) but in the long term, these business will close, jobs will be lost and people will have to go back to paying over the top to chamber members for the same items.
    Which would probably make the chamber members very happy!?

• Advertisement

The idea of trying to cram more shops into an small town already over populated, poorly served by public transport & with huge traffic congestion & parking problems is one of complete absurdity & unsustainability.

The fact that the centre of Sligo at the minute centres around Wine Street (Tesco & Dunnes) carparks is ridiculous. An ideal solution would be to relocate the big supermarkets outside the town and have them trade side by side with the large retail outlets. This would free up Wine Street car park for the development of local markets/ stalls etc & maybe some outdoor eateries - think along the lines of Camden Market.

With a few commercial centres built up around the town for supermarkets & retail warehousing, it would greatly improve traffic & parking congestion in the centre & make it a hell of a lot easier for people to get around & do their shopping. What would have to occur though, concurrently would be a huge investment in public transport. I would also suggest a 100% pedestrianisation of the town centre.... from the commercial centres there would be park & ride facilities in & out of town on a regular basis.

But that would be too forward thinking. Easier to just object blindly to the likes of Argos & protect a status quo that nobody but the Chambers members are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think the supermarkets should stay in the city centre, for what of those of us who don't drive?

I do think the city centre should be pedestrianised though. The reliance on the automobile in Sligo Town is just ridiculous - and unsustainable. But the public transport isn't there (or at least it doesn't run on any semblance of a schedule)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Sounds nice, market area in the middle of Sligo 'City'. I think its fair to say we are all in agreement then; feck the chamber of commerce and bring argos to town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Xiney wrote: »
    I think the supermarkets should stay in the city centre, for what of those of us who don't drive?

I do think the city centre should be pedestrianised though. The reliance on the automobile in Sligo Town is just ridiculous - and unsustainable. But the public transport isn't there (or at least it doesn't run on any semblance of a schedule)

Chalk it down! +old people etc, as a foot soilder myself i like those shops being in town, however Aldi or the 2nd lidl should not have been blocked one of them should/could be up in the park that has Harry Corry, pc world etc

For the size of the town i think the buses are very good, as for the time keeping of the buses, they have to deal with the traffic just like anyone else,
    When o'Connell st was pedestrianised it made it a lot harder for them to get around town, i know anytime ive had to do the one side of town to other trip, it takes a lot longer than it used to

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    Sounds nice, market area in the middle of Sligo 'City'. I think its fair to say we are all in agreement then; feck the chamber of commerce and bring argos to town!

YES feck them:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Is this evidence of mass hyseria? :eek:
    It used to be moving statues now its the "A" word! :eek::eek: :D
    Will someone just throw a bucket of cold water over the whole thread.:D:D:D
    Anyway, Oh ye of little faith do ye not know Ikea is the one true shop. *

Haralding repeated threads about Ikea into nauseum:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sandwich boards & purty dresses... sounds like the Patricks Day parade all over again.

Sounds like a very specific list. Almost like they had it dictated to them;) In the last month, I've visited the retail park several times and have bought such bulky items as a frying pan, a saucepan, two memory sticks (one of them a gift,of sorts:eek:), a book, RAM for the P.C., a bulky toaster and china. If I'd known how many laws (read: absurd over regulation) I'd broken, I'd have handed myself over to the Co.Co. or Chamber, or whoever is responsible for punishing such criminal, inappropriate and indescriminate spending. I'm ashamed of myself:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote: »
    Sounds like a very specific list. Almost like they had it dictated to them;) In the last month, I've visited the retail park several times and have bought such bulky items as a frying pan, a saucepan, two memory sticks (one of them a gift,of sorts:eek:), a book, RAM for the P.C., a bulky toaster and china. If I'd known how many laws (read: absurd over regulation) I'd broken, I'd have handed myself over to the Co.Co. or Chamber, or whoever is responsible for punishing such criminal, inappropriate and indescriminate spending. I'm ashamed of myself:rolleyes:

Maybe you should have a word with Declan Bree on that . ;)*
    Doh!

*sound man declan

Erm......I've also bought a.....Memory Stick, and (gulp) 'Leather Goods' sofa......... oh my god :eek: I'm a criminal!!!!!!!!

Is there anyone else out there whom is gulity of perpetrating similar illicit crimes?
    Il Gatto, as we are law abiting citizens perhaps we are duty bound to do the dutiful thing and hand ourselves over to the full rigours of the law for punishment, or maybe we can canvas people and set up a criminal orginasation; we can call it 'The General....Public':D:D:D

Ok, ok I put my hands up. I bought a mug. Yeah, just one.

I thought I could get away with it because I used one of the massive trolleys to bring it to the car...

I'M SORRRYY.....

I can hear the news already............. 'Criminal activities in the masses in Sligo.........Taking trade from the chamber members....... File has been sent to the DPP':)

the Sligo & Environs Development Plan which restricts the sale of "grocery & food items,

Next time I'm up at KFC, I'm ordering a pallet load of chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Next time I'm up at KFC, I'm ordering a pallet load of chicken.

You'll be looking in the wrong place for real chicken:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I was up in KFC last week and they had no chicken.
    I thought he was joking, so I just laughed and continued with my order.
    He had to stop me and say, seriously, no chicken today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

MikeySligo wrote: »
    I was up in KFC last week and they had no chicken.
    I thought he was joking, so I just laughed and continued with my order.
    He had to stop me and say, seriously, no chicken today.

Oh sweet Jesus!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was it the same day I noticed a distinct lack of rodents around there? :)

Isn't that a good thing, or am I missing something?

If there were no rodents, they'd have had chicken. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Maybe they were so full, they had a feed of chicken and went to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Ok, ok I put my hands up. I bought a mug. Yeah, just one.

I thought I could get away with it because I used one of the massive trolleys to bring it to the car...

I'M SORRRYY.....

Oh no I'm a criminal too, I bought two smelly balls (don't be rude now!!) I mean the air freshner kind:D

I'm still stunned about the KFC with no chicken.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Pub, then chicken, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

magnumlady wrote: »
    Oh no I'm a criminal too, I bought two smelly balls (don't be rude now!!) I mean the air freshner kind:D

must........resist........urge.......to........take......piss....

magnumlady wrote: »

I'm still stunned about the KFC with no chicken.:confused:

Not unusual. Bundoran is worse. For a place that is supposed to be a main purveyor of chicken, they never have any - ever! (hmmm, no rodents either.... interesting)

OK.

Argos - Chicken - Rodents - Smelly Balls = Not off topic, off the bleedin' radar.

Jeez, the Sligo Mods are lame today...

:D

• Advertisement

OK.

Argos - Chicken - Rodents - Smelly Balls = Not off topic, off the bleedin' radar.

Jeez, the Sligo Mods are lame today...

:D

I know for a fact that Muffler can't function without a snack box, though Basquille says not to mention him & smelly balls in the same sentence.

Advertisement